Marketplace Closure

45 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

I understand your disappointment there, however, I just wanted to clarify a few points there..

In terms of 'unprofessionally'. We have evaluated this internally for quite a while now. Once it was decided, we release our intentions to a focus group of people to discuss. Our intentions were released over a month ago to providers, then 3 weeks ago to let members know. We have done this, and people know it will be being removed in another months time. So there has indeed been plenty of time given on the removal.

With renewals, at some point, we have to stop accepting them. After all, they will not be able to download on our site. 

With setting up your own marketplace, and working out how users can download the new file, I'm not sure what you mean here. If you are unsure on how to set up the Invision platform for you to sell files, I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction. However, as a developer on the platform, I would question whether or not you are unsure how to do this. 

I completely understand your opinion there. But while I understand the opinion, it doesn't necessarily mean I agree with them. We have worked to try and provide a way for providers to know who has purchased a file on here by way of keys. Outside of this, the intention is we are removing the marketplace and the intention is that we are no longer involved in that process. 

We have run the marketplace at a considerable cost to the company for quite a while. And while I understand your disappointment, this was a free service, provided at a cost to us as a company, for what is now very much the minority of customers. 

I know and I was one of the first to support your decision and I am really happy (you don't know how much 🙂 ) because it removes the restrictions of development for me and I can do bigger things.

I didn't mean how to set up my own marketplace, I know it perfectly (I'm doing it with Laravel and React - something I specialize in) but the point is enough time to prepare all these things. Because according to what you said,  it remains almost 2 months.

I mean, for example, in a particular case, as the sale of the product is currently active, why has its renewal been stopped? These two things are related. Don't you think so?
Because my customers expect to be able to download the new version of the app now that it is released. 

If it didn't allow me to upload the new version when I wanted to upload the new version, you can be sure that I wouldn't have spent the time to write the previous post and this one.

I think that writing and explaining more about this matter, both from your side and from me, will not solve the problem because you have made your decision and done it.

here I want to ask customers to wait for a short time so that I can implement the update method and other things and I apologize to them for this.

Edited by ReyDev

51 minutes ago, ReyDev said:

I didn't mean how to set up my own marketplace, I know it perfectly (I'm doing it with Laravel and React - something I specialize in) but the point is enough time to prepare all these things. Because according to what you said,  it remains almost 2 months.

That is correct, yes

51 minutes ago, ReyDev said:

I mean, for example, in a particular case, as the sale of the product is currently active, why has its renewal been stopped? These two things are related. Don't you think so?
Because my customers expect to be able to download the new version of the app now that it is released. 

Kind of a double-edged sword with this one. No matter when and how we do it, someone wont be happy with it, and at some point we have to stop taking  them. The reality is, if we did them both at the same time, your previous point would be even more an issue (the 2 month you mentioned there). Imagine you have a security issue. You would have nowhere to release it. Major bug? Nope. No way to release it. I understand the thought seems to be the opposite for some, but we really do think about these things. 🙂 

15 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Imagine you have a security issue. You would have nowhere to release it. Major bug? Nope. No way to release it. I understand the thought seems to be the opposite for some, but we really do think about these things.

I know you have a lot to do rather than this conversation, and really appreciate you taking the time to answer. I completely agree with what you said. It really makes sense but what about users whose purchases have expired? maybe they also want to update their apps to fix major/security bugs.

19 hours ago, The Old Man said:

It totally grinds my gears too. There is no new one!
However, your AdminCP Dashboard if and will tell you when there is an update available, just like it always has. It just won’t install it for you or help you find new apps and themes.

It’s been said so many times before, but I think the providers list should really be in the AdminCP where it belongs, so people can conveniently browse from one logical central point and discover products, with external links to them and the third party disclaimer.

It’s (IMHO) the least IPS could do. They say only a minority of IPS Clients visit this site, of that minority, only a few will ever find the almost hidden providers list, (and of course they crippled Commerce before adding new features or integrations! Grr).

I let my theme updates sit til the last min since I have to go and upload them myself. I just don't have that kind of time.

On 8/15/2023 at 2:47 PM, Lindy said:

• You will be able to obtain a key for each of your current Marketplace purchases and provide that key to authors to transfer your purchases directly to the author

What happen about all of the plugins/applications provided by authors who are no longer responsive? 

We will loose access to those. Is it possible to get the files to give to a new developer?

1 hour ago, ekforum said:

What happen about all of the plugins/applications provided by authors who are no longer responsive? 

We will loose access to those. Is it possible to get the files to give to a new developer?

If they're not longer responsive, the same thing that would happen even if the marketplace remained open... you could continue using the application as long as it works.  But given there are no new updates or support...  it would mean if you run into problems later you would be on your own in terms of figuring out what the problem is.  

IPS does not own the plugins/applications.  It's not for them to give to someone else.  That would be like me giving your website to someone else.  It's not my right to do that.  🙂 

• 4 weeks later...

Finally, I launched MarketPlace at valacoding.com.

Buyers:
On this site, as a buyer, you can order products and install/update them directly in your ACP as before you did in IPS Marketplace!! 🙂 . In addition, if a new version of the apps is released, they will be displayed in the ACP just like the IPS apps and you will be informed about new released versions.

All clients who have purchased my products must register on the site and send me info about the products (product name, order code provided by IPS) and the username registered on the valacoding.com site so i can update them.

for example :
Username
-Laxeri theme
-Menu plus

Note:  users who have already purchased products through IPS do not need to register a new order for those products. they just need send us the information that i mentioned above

--------------------------------------------------

Sellers:
As a seller, you can submit your products and enter the product link to your site.

--------------------------------------------------

if you have any question, just PM me 

Please send any comments to my email address or PM. I welcome and will definitely check it out.

Best Regards
M. Vala (ReyDev)

valacoding.com

Edited by ReyDev

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, but this is a sucky move.

It will be more incentive still to move away from Invision and will likely dissuade new users looking to easily,  cheaply and rapidly implement Invision with some customized functions.

Now you'll need to pay out of ear for custom development and be held in by the very limited devs experienced with this platform.

You'll also need to verify them yourself, somehow and you'll need accounts on countless sites to even try to facilitate those modules, coming from all different devs.

6 hours ago, ASI said:

It will be more incentive still to move away from Invision

But don't all the other forum platforms pretty much behave in this manner also? I've never seen another software provider with a "Marketplace". They usually just have a forum developers announce/share their plugins and users comment on them. I imagine something like the current Marketplace Forum will remain here and simply be renamed.

6 hours ago, ASI said:

Now you'll need to pay out of ear for custom development and be held in by the very limited devs experienced with this platform.

How does this change exactly? Developers could always charge what they want to. There have always been limited devs experienced with this platform.

6 hours ago, ASI said:

You'll also need to verify them yourself, somehow and you'll need accounts on countless sites to even try to facilitate those modules, coming from all different devs.

I can count mine so far.... 4

Sadly, it will also mean some developers will simply not bother continuing. This was perhaps supposed to be something easy enough to do on the side for them. They are not interested in making life more complex for themselves nor interested in starting their own webshops.

I can already see some devs abandoning things even now...

10 hours ago, ASI said:

Sadly, it will also mean some developers will simply not bother continuing. This was perhaps supposed to be something easy enough to do on the side for them. They are not interested in making life more complex for themselves nor interested in starting their own webshops.

I can already see some devs abandoning things even now...

I think that you're right overall, but at least some parts will be easier for them - they can publish updates when they want, don't need approval, etc.

• Management

It is likely that some after market developers will leave, nothing stays static and change is inevitable.

One of the main themes coming through v5 is reducing the complexity for things that used to require developers so there will be less opportunity to sell expertise in certain areas. It's why we moved forward with the directory approach. There is a strong future in providing bespoke development services.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I think that you're right overall, but at least some parts will be easier for them - they can publish updates when they want, don't need approval, etc.

That include no check of the sourcecode by an expert team. So malicious code can be added in it. 
It was the reason for me to purchase content only on invision marketplace. 

I like the IPS 5 alpha preview, but IPS is here at this state also with all devs who worked for 3rd plugins/app. 

Edited by Riley Anderson
dislexia

59 minutes ago, Riley Anderson said:

That include no check of the sourcecode by an expert team. So malicious code can be added in it. 

You might want to re-read earlier in this thread...  as per Marc earlier:

IPS reviewed code to ensure it adheres to our marketplace guidelines. What we do not do is check every line of code for security issues and serious issues that may arise from installing them. This very much a misconception of what we do. There are no guarentees that a code review will prevent any malicious, bad, exploit code etc. Adding 3rd party code to your website is at your own risk. This has always been the case. 

Given that IPS never did vulnerability scanning, you are not actually losing anything on that front other than the perception that it was being done when it was not.  🙂 

Edited by Randy Calvert

On 9/1/2023 at 8:44 AM, Joel R said:

The third party community plans to launch a coordinated Marketplace Directory that at least lists all of the files in one location.  

Is this done? Checking if i need to register on 50 different websites for find new apps .. Thanks to Dev's for coming together. 

7 hours ago, Riley Anderson said:

I like the IPS 5 alpha preview, but IPS is here at this state also with all devs who worked for 3rd plugins/app. 

Several developers have opted in to the Providers designation, which provides a reasonable level of trust within the IPS ecosystem.  You'll recognize many of the same names who have been around for years.  

When you do buy third party mods or themes, one of the easiest things you can do is check that they're a Provider.  

https://www.invisioneer.org/marketplace/

How am I able to obtain the key from the Marketplace apps that I have purchased? I'd like to sign up for accounts on the developers' external websites for support and updates, but I do not see anywhere on my community's AdminCP or on this website's Client Area that shows me this information needed to prove my purchase with them.

Edited by Dreadknux

Just now, Dreadknux said:

How am I able to obtain the key from the Marketplace apps that I have purchased? I'd like to sign up for accounts on the developers' external websites for support and updates, but I do not see anywhere on my community's AdminCP or on this website's Client Area that shows me this information needed to prove my purchase with them.

You can see them on the "My Purchases" page.

https://invisioncommunity.com/marketplace/previous-purchases/

1 hour ago, Webmaster Scr said:

You're a real disappointment! After stopping the commerce module you announce this? Seriously?! 

We are not stopping Commerce. Certain elements have been deprecated and removed in version 5. Version 4 will continue to be supported for a number of years and you're welcome to continue to use it.

See https://invisioncommunity.com/deprecation-tracker for more details