Marketplace Closure

1 hour ago, Durango said:

Hi

Just discover this

sounds weird to me, App store, Google play store, Wordpress plugins depository, it makes sense to find all apps / plugins at the same place, rather than to have to check all devs websites...

i am not sure that's a good move

I just don’t see myself looking at the providers page, then going to their individual pages, then looking at apps. Most of the apps I use were found by browsing here, not even searching. 

I’m guessing I’ll gradually use the stock, less good, version of Invision Community. Kind of a bummer. 

So as some of you have upgraded to the latest version of IPS v4.7.14 with Marketplace removed, what is your workflow for the upgrade now that the upgrade itself no longer verifies third party apps/plugins are approved for the target IPS version by the developer?

• Running a TESTINSTALL website and upgrading everything then manually spot checking everything before upgrading any official sites (good practice BTW)
  • Going to N developer sites and verifying each of your apps/plugins is marked as compatible, noting some just say 4.7+?

It was certainly always helpful to get a comprehensive preview of what was identified as version approved by devs during an upgrade.  Not sure how this exactly worked, but that part is missing now.

Edited by Clover13

3 minutes ago, Clover13 said:

It was certainly always helpful to get a comprehensive preview of what was identified as version approved by devs during an upgrade.

This was always based on 4.7.x - it never went more granular than that to 4.7.11 and so on; if it had then developers would have been needing to do updates each and every month just to reflect support for each new version (4.7.12 or 4.7.13, etc.)

End of the day - do your due diligence; check the developer's site, see if a new update has been released and check the change log if one is provided. Test, if you have the ability to do so, and if still in doubt, ask the developer.

5 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

This was always based on 4.7.x - it never went more granular than that to 4.7.11 and so on; if it had then developers would have been needing to do updates each and every month just to reflect support for each new version (4.7.12 or 4.7.13, etc.)

End of the day - do your due diligence; check the developer's site, see if a new update has been released and check the change log if one is provided. Test, if you have the ability to do so, and if still in doubt, ask the developer.

Got ya, yeah I had no idea how that check worked or if developers reviewed and approved every bug/patch release to pass that check.  The upgrade check (assuming developer has implemented it) should also pull in changes once you've upgraded but you'd only know that after you upgrade and something potentially broke.  So I guess it's always a matter of how much you're willing to risk with third party apps working and the amount of effort you feel you need to put into verifying it before doing a live site upgrade.

5 minutes ago, Clover13 said:

The upgrade check (assuming developer has implemented it) should also pull in changes once you've upgraded

The upgrade check process simply alerts you that a new version is available - it doesn't pull anything in.

6 minutes ago, Clover13 said:

but you'd only know that after you upgrade

Or you click the "Check for updates" button before you upgrade to see if there is a new version available (if the update check URL is implemented)

It's sad to see the marketplace go, as long as they keep the commerce module going I'm super happy! We use it actively for our games, when a member subscribes to us on the website they get the rewards in the game. I love invoicing, dispute resolution, etc. Although I hope updates are focused on commerce in the future.

8 hours ago, David8888 said:

as long as they keep the commerce module going I'm super happy! …. I hope updates are focused on commerce in the future.

I think commerce has a bright future. It’s one of the building blocks to monetizing any community and Invision knows that. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, to me, this is absolutely bonkers. 

IPS' team has noticed that their plugin community is a fraction of what it used to be, thinks this is because everyone has switched to bespoke work (You sure it's not the other way around? People using bespoke work /because/ the plugin community has a fraction of the size it did back when there was a free version and before IPS was trying to be everything for every person by default?). 

So they /murder/ pre-made plugins. No, we're not going to see thriving new marketplaces. Excited devs will start some, none of these will be as active as the current one, most if not all of these efforts will peter out quickly. Not having the marketplace in the panel, not having them vetted by IPS, not having people browse over them prior to purchasing IPS (and plan out a setup with plugins), not having their plugins listed on IPS' websites are all small cuts that together, cut deep. IPS' website was never a limiter on other marketplaces (they've always existed for themes and some plugins), but free advertisement to those who did have those. You're merely taking away an option and your stamp of approval. 

And you do this brilliant move in the middle of a version, announcing it to your costumers roughly a month up-front. 

Definitely not obvious you're springing it this way to ensure customers don't either, mass-hug a former major version to keep their plugins, or start planning migrations away from IPS between the time of announcement and release. 

Now, months after it happened, I google 'Invisionpower plugins marketplace' and find nothing on the first page. 

Sincerely, as someone who was a fan once of IPS, you people suck.

34 minutes ago, Alexander V said:

So, to me, this is absolutely bonkers. 

IPS' team has noticed that their plugin community is a fraction of what it used to be, thinks this is because everyone has switched to bespoke work (You sure it's not the other way around? People using bespoke work /because/ the plugin community has a fraction of the size it did back when there was a free version and before IPS was trying to be everything for every person by default?). 

So they /murder/ pre-made plugins. No, we're not going to see thriving new marketplaces. Excited devs will start some, none of these will be as active as the current one, most if not all of these efforts will peter out quickly. Not having the marketplace in the panel, not having them vetted by IPS, not having people browse over them prior to purchasing IPS (and plan out a setup with plugins), not having their plugins listed on IPS' websites are all small cuts that together, cut deep. IPS' website was never a limiter on other marketplaces (they've always existed for themes and some plugins), but free advertisement to those who did have those. You're merely taking away an option and your stamp of approval. 

Sorry to hear you feel this way. It would be worth having a read through some of the responses already posted on this over the last 5 months or responses there, as much of this has been covered. It's understandable that people may be disappointed in the removal of this.

39 minutes ago, Alexander V said:

And you do this brilliant move in the middle of a version, announcing it to your costumers roughly a month up-front. 

Definitely not obvious you're springing it this way to ensure customers don't either, mass-hug a former major version to keep their plugins, or start planning migrations away from IPS between the time of announcement and release. 

Now, months after it happened, I google 'Invisionpower plugins marketplace' and find nothing on the first page. 

Sincerely, as someone who was a fan once of IPS, you people suck.

Im all for debate, but please do refrain from insult and accusation. The above was certainly not the case.

Apologies if this has been brought up prior-

The guides page on Installing a Ready-Made Language Pack suggests that you can find these language packs in the now defunct Marketplace. Were there at one time language packs maintained by IPS or were all of them developed and maintained by the community?

If there are language packs maintained by IPS, will these be made available for download somewhere?

While it has annoyed me, I'm all in for more of the party stuff now being incorporated into the software core. With it being more modern now, I can only see a handful of addons staying around.

On 1/13/2024 at 7:57 PM, Foxtrek_64 said:

Apologies if this has been brought up prior-

The guides page on Installing a Ready-Made Language Pack suggests that you can find these language packs in the now defunct Marketplace.

Fixed

Were there at one time language packs maintained by IPS or were all of them developed and maintained by the community?

These were 3rd party 

If there are language packs maintained by IPS, will these be made available for download somewhere?

Information will be available on this nearer to the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to get a download of a file?

I know IPS took the stance that apps could only be installed / updated through the Marketplace and not downloaded.

I have an app from a developer who has not been around since May 2023.  He seems to have abandoned his site, so there is no easy way to get the app updated.

Would IPS be willing to provide downloads of apps we purchased in cases like this so we can hire another developer to update them?

Thank you

3 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Is it possible to get a download of a file?

I know IPS took the stance that apps could only be installed / updated through the Marketplace and not downloaded.

I have an app from a developer who has not been around since May 2023.  He seems to have abandoned his site, so there is no easy way to get the app updated.

Would IPS be willing to provide downloads of apps we purchased in cases like this so we can hire another developer to update them?

Thank you

Hi,

No, we're not going to distribute other developers IP through a method they did not agree to.

If you have the app installed, you already have the files on your server. A competent developer would know where to look to get those and build whatever changes you want on top of that.

57 minutes ago, Stuart Silvester said:

Hi,

No, we're not going to distribute other developers IP through a method they did not agree to.

If you have the app installed, you already have the files on your server. A competent developer would know where to look to get those and build whatever changes you want on top of that.

Thank you, I was not aware of that.