Marketplace Closure

1 hour ago, iamART said:

What an era THIS was, though, huh? I feel old seeing this now, as this is what forums looked like when I started using them.

Getting back on topic, and forgive me if I missed it, are there any alternative marketplaces being created that can provide 3rd party plugins/themes?

This the closest so far, I believe

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/475077-marketplace-closure/?do=findComment&comment=2950901

1 hour ago, iamART said:

Getting back on topic, and forgive me if I missed it, are there any alternative marketplaces being created that can provide 3rd party plugins/themes?

@Joel R is taking the lead in creating a central location where all devs can list their apps in an organized, marketplace-like, structure. 

I'm sure there will be still be a developers forum here where such apps can be announced and discussed as well, just like on every forum software providers site.

Only now I realize something, but with the closure of the market will all the themes and MODs you have on the site also be lost?
Does anyone who wants to sell themes or MODs have to do it on other sites? I thought the marketplace was being decommissioned for users as a MOD but not on your site!

19 minutes ago, Ricsca said:

Only now I realize something, but with the closure of the market will all the themes and MODs you have on the site also be lost?
Does anyone who wants to sell themes or MODs have to do it on other sites? I thought the marketplace was being decommissioned for users as a MOD but not on your site!

Marketplace contributors will need to set up their own site to handle selling and support.  

We are looking to put together a community directory that will at least make it easier to browse all of the files from all themers and developers.  We will announce in October.  Thank you to all of the contributors who have already started cross listing their files.  

Before the marketplace, we updated our sites with uploads. Then we start to upload via the backend of our websites in IPB's framework. With the marketplace shutdown, what will that part of the software do now or will it be removed? How will updating out apps work after the shutdown?

2 hours ago, ZakRhyno said:

Then we start to upload via the backend of our websites in IPB's framework. With the marketplace shutdown, what will that part of the software do now or will it be removed?

The marketplace part itself will be removed. The updating via the backend upload is what will remain.

2 hours ago, ZakRhyno said:

How will updating out apps work after the shutdown?

Same as they do at the moment for items that are added manually outside of the marketplace

9 hours ago, Joel R said:

Marketplace contributors will need to set up their own site to handle selling and support.  

We are looking to put together a community directory that will at least make it easier to browse all of the files from all themers and developers.  We will announce in October.  Thank you to all of the contributors who have already started cross listing their files.  

To be honest, I wonder why IPS did not leave marketplace as platform for sellers and instead closure could introduce e.g. monthly, constant payments, then instead taking money directly, could allow seller to define the target payment method.

I use my Commerce this way, so when buyer comes to purchase something he sees who he buys from (exact details) and this way I am responsible for nothing, except colleting money for using the platform.

My only guess is that IPS wanted to get a rid of all custom apps/plugins before IPSv5

Edited by PatrickRQ

Very disappointed.
The marketplace allows me to search for apps and perches quickly. Get updates automatically, and be sure the process is safe.
Now it's all gone. Jungle all over again?

Quik Integration between developers--> IPB--> customers is vital, especially nowadays when for every second feature missing in the core platform, you need an app for this.

Edited by LiveG

5 hours ago, LiveG said:

Very disappointed.
The marketplace allows me to search for apps and perches quickly. Get updates automatically, and be sure the process is safe.
Now it's all gone. Jungle all over again?

Quik Integration between developers--> IPB--> customers is vital, especially nowadays when for every second feature missing in the core platform, you need an app for this.

The third party community plans to launch a coordinated Marketplace Directory that at least lists all of the files in one location.  

Developers will handle support and payments on their own site, but at least you will be able to browse and access files in one location.  

I have mixed regrets about the whole thing but at the end of the day, if it's not sustainable as a loss-maker for IPS, I understand it has to go. I certainly won't miss the Marketplace approval queue!

I've read concerns about having to browse and check dozens of sites to get updates. I think the update check will still work though, unless I've missed something, so it should be simple to see a new update is available for apps, plug-ins and themes.

Could contain: Text

You click on it like now and it takes you to where you can download the available update.

13 minutes ago, The Old Man said:

I have mixed regrets about the whole thing but at the end of the day, if it's not sustainable as a loss-maker for IPS, I understand it has to go. I certainly won't miss the Marketplace approval queue!

I've read concerns about having to browse and check dozens of sites to get updates. I think the update check will still work though, unless I've missed something, so it should be simple to see a new update is available for apps, plug-ins and themes.

Could contain: Text

You click on it like now and it takes you to where you can download the available update.

Yes, that will still work if the resource has the update check URL populated and the author has their side of it implemented.

(I went through the first page of comments FYI so idk if the answer is hidden in the other 6) but this just seems a bit confusing from the comments so far. I totally understand if addons wanna be sold offsite (removing the marketplace) but are you still going to be developing things like the forums applications and commerce etc cause even though they're is things you can install in that same applications section as-well but those are developed in-house?

Sorry if this was answer somewhere else.

1 hour ago, Josua27176 said:

(I went through the first page of comments FYI so idk if the answer is hidden in the other 6) but this just seems a bit confusing from the comments so far. I totally understand if addons wanna be sold offsite (removing the marketplace) but are you still going to be developing things like the forums applications and commerce etc cause even though they're is things you can install in that same applications section as-well but those are developed in-house?

Sorry if this was answer somewhere else.

The Marketplace is only how third-party applications, plugins, themes, etc... were sold. All our first-party applications will still be sold by us.

On 8/18/2023 at 3:15 AM, Marc Stridgen said:
On 8/17/2023 at 7:25 PM, Ocean West said:

Curious about what will happen to the Marketplace forum will that go to read-only? There may be posts that are still valuable. In addition to existing reviews of said apps? Will this data be transferred to whatever takes the place of this?

We will decide more on this nearer the time.

I understand and support the decision, but the Provider Directory really needs to be improved as it stands today. Some items that come to mind:

1. Filter by feedback rating.
  2. A means for customers to write feedback for each Provider.
  3. but...

I'm now wondering how reviews are even vetted in the Provider Directory? What would stop a non-purchaser from giving 1-star feedback or writing a negative review?

Anything a notch above what is the Provider Directory today would be better.

19 hours ago, LittleFang said:

Great, it's going to be a chore finding what I need now.

8 hours ago, WP V0RT3X said:

Not really. Instead of the old Marketplace, just visit the new one.

What is "the" new one? The Provider Directory or what @Joel R is building? No offense to Joel here, but there can be other marketplaces, some providers may not be part of any 3rd party marketplace, and some will walk away (not sure how many active/semi-active devs are in the marketplace today anyway).

My point is that it will be a chore.

It totally grinds my gears too. There is no new one!
However, your AdminCP Dashboard if and will tell you when there is an update available, just like it always has. It just won’t install it for you or help you find new apps and themes.

It’s been said so many times before, but I think the providers list should really be in the AdminCP where it belongs, so people can conveniently browse from one logical central point and discover products, with external links to them and the third party disclaimer.

It’s (IMHO) the least IPS could do. They say only a minority of IPS Clients visit this site, of that minority, only a few will ever find the almost hidden providers list, (and of course they crippled Commerce before adding new features or integrations! Grr).

I think it's OK if IPS wants to do this, but there is a better way. It's anonying to remove everything at once. You don't want to manage the marketplace, that's ok, but why do this unprofessionally?

You didn't think about how much the customers and providers depend on this method, you just decided that there should be no more Marketplace and announced it, and did!?,  But you didn't think about the solution to this crisis that is happening to the customers and providers.

I recently updated an app that took me about a few days to review. I received a message from a customer that it is not possible to renew. Well, if this possibility has been removed, then why did you allow me to upload the new version?
I'm currently working on setting up my own marketplace to even allow users to install directly, but with this message I've received, now I have to think about how users can download the new file now and within the next two months before setting up my marketplace. It has messed up my schedule and priorities.

In my opinion, the way out of this decision should not have been this way. With respect to all customers, giving the file directly to customers is a very wrong thing to do, and I don't think the providers are okay with it. They only announced that this was going to happen, but did not consider any plan or tools for it. It's good that you list the apps, but does it help with these problems? an instruction should have been prepared for customers and providers so that they can go through it in the best way and with the least worries and continue this way. I think they were in a hurry. My concern is that another decision will be made in the future that will destroy the efforts we are currently making to adapt to it. What is really the guarantee for it?

53 minutes ago, ReyDev said:

I think it's OK if IPS wants to do this, but there is a better way. It's anonying to remove everything at once. You don't want to manage the marketplace, that's ok, but why do this unprofessionally?

You didn't think about how much the customers and providers depend on this method, you just decided that there should be no more Marketplace and announced it, and did!?,  But you didn't think about the solution to this crisis that is happening to the customers and providers.

I recently updated an app that took me about a few days to review. I received a message from a customer that it is not possible to renew. Well, if this possibility has been removed, then why did you allow me to upload the new version?
I'm currently working on setting up my own marketplace to even allow users to install directly, but with this message I've received, now I have to think about how users can download the new file now and within the next two months before setting up my marketplace. It has messed up my schedule and priorities.

In my opinion, the way out of this decision should not have been this way. With respect to all customers, giving the file directly to customers is a very wrong thing to do, and I don't think the providers are okay with it. They only announced that this was going to happen, but did not consider any plan or tools for it. It's good that you list the apps, but does it help with these problems? an instruction should have been prepared for customers and providers so that they can go through it in the best way and with the least worries and continue this way. I think they were in a hurry. My concern is that another decision will be made in the future that will destroy the efforts we are currently making to adapt to it. What is really the guarantee for it?

I understand your disappointment there, however, I just wanted to clarify a few points there..

In terms of 'unprofessionally'. We have evaluated this internally for quite a while now. Once it was decided, we release our intentions to a focus group of people to discuss. Our intentions were released over a month ago to providers, then 3 weeks ago to let members know. We have done this, and people know it will be being removed in another months time. So there has indeed been plenty of time given on the removal.

With renewals, at some point, we have to stop accepting them. After all, they will not be able to download on our site. 

With setting up your own marketplace, and working out how users can download the new file, I'm not sure what you mean here. If you are unsure on how to set up the Invision platform for you to sell files, I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction. However, as a developer on the platform, I would question whether or not you are unsure how to do this. 

I completely understand your opinion there. But while I understand the opinion, it doesn't necessarily mean I agree with them. We have worked to try and provide a way for providers to know who has purchased a file on here by way of keys. Outside of this, the intention is we are removing the marketplace and the intention is that we are no longer involved in that process. 

We have run the marketplace at a considerable cost to the company for quite a while. And while I understand your disappointment, this was a free service, provided at a cost to us as a company, for what is now very much the minority of customers.