Invision Community 5: Dark mode, accessibility, performance and mobiles!

Very nice. 

One thing I’d love to see is the ability to restrict dark mode to specific user groups. This would be nice because we sell subscriptions that remove advertisements. Dark mode works great for subscribers, but for those who see the ads dark mode would make the ad images look really strange. 

Regarding the navigation areas. From the verbiage used and the video itself, it appears that with the horizontal header, there is now only a Text Logo. Does this mean that gone is the ability to utilize an image within the header? Perhaps an ability to still use the background area of the header for your sites logo?

Just now, My Sharona said:

Regarding the navigation areas. From the verbiage used and the video itself, it appears that with the horizontal header, there is now only a Text Logo. Does this mean that gone is the ability to utilize an image within the header?

Not at all, image logos are most definitely a thing. Next weeks video will showcase that in detail 🙂 

Brilliant work ! Loving the progress.

Can we also round up an applause for the frequently in depth updates Invision is bringing? Something that doesn’t need to go unnoticed. It’s one thing to keep working on v5, but keeping us informed with a top notch video, is equally as important!

Well done team!

Very nice work @Ehren!  Lot of thought put into the changes and seeing those good ideas come to fruition! 

The only stickler I saw for my sites is we use a sticky footer ad which could become a conflict with the layout with the mobile menu at the bottom.  Would be great to have an option to put it up top maybe.  Otherwise, I'd imagine it can float above the footer ad if needed with a little CSS.

Smart UX with the sign in and sign up buttons bubbled to the primary view when in guest mode!

System preference dark/light mode is excellent as well to tie into a user's natural device preferences!

On the tech side, that massive JS reduction should help tremendously!  I've been finding a lot of ways to do things I want with CSS and avoiding JS libs as well.  Great stuff!

Questions:

1. Search modal - Does this entirely replace the Advanced Search? I like the new search.  Modern users are accustomed to simpler search bars with contextual filters, not full page searches with 20 options.
  2. Forum Icons - The little houses.  Are those icons or uploaded photos? In generla, support for FA6?  
  3. Website Slogan - I'm guessing this is static?  Like, can we have rotating messages "G'Day Mates" and five seconds later "Where's your croc suite?"  
  4. Visible Focus Rings - This came out from nowhere, would love to understand the company's perspective behind this feature.  I'm scratching my head because it's not applicable at all for mobile or tablet. This benefits power users on desktop and ... maybe developers?  
  5. Mobile Bottom Navigation - Customizable per group or hardcoded?  

9 minutes ago, Joel R said:

Questions:

1. Search modal - Does this entirely replace the Advanced Search? I like the new search.  Modern users are accustomed to simpler search bars with contextual filters, not full page searches with 20 options.
  2. Forum Icons - The little houses.  Are those icons or uploaded photos? In generla, support for FA6?  
  3. Website Slogan - I'm guessing this is static?  Like, can we have rotating messages "G'Day Mates" and five seconds later "Where's your croc suite?"  
  4. Visible Focus Rings - This came out from nowhere, would love to understand the company's perspective behind this feature.  I'm scratching my head because it's not applicable at all for mobile or tablet. This benefits power users on desktop and ... maybe developers?  
  5. Mobile Bottom Navigation - Customizable per group or hardcoded?  

Hey Joel,

1. The advanced search page is still available. The search modal is just an "enhanced version" of the drop-down filter menu which we currently use in version 4.

2. We'll have a lot more information on this in a future update 🤫 But to answer your question, they're FA 6 icons.

3. Correct, this is static. You could use your own javascript code to target the element and change the text every x seconds, but it's not a feature which is coming with version 5.

4. "Focus rings" for focused elements are very important for keyboard users. It's definitely not for power users or developers, but rather users who find it difficult to browse your site with a mouse. Imagine a condition which affects motor control such as Parkinson's disease, or someone who has a broken arm - both of those users would likely find it more convenient to browse using the TAB key instead of using a mouse.

Focus rings only appear when pressing the TAB key on your keyboard (they won't appear when clicking with a mouse), so they've been added purely to improve accessibility for those who need them. Accessibility took a back seat in version 4, however we've placed a higher priority on it with version 5 and will be improving it further in future updates. This is a desktop only feature, but will also work on iPads if a bluetooth keyboard is connected.

5. Currently hard-coded, but customization is currently on my "would be nice to have list". Certainly something to consider.

13 hours ago, Clover13 said:

Very nice work @Ehren!  Lot of thought put into the changes and seeing those good ideas come to fruition! 

The only stickler I saw for my sites is we use a sticky footer ad which could become a conflict with the layout with the mobile menu at the bottom.  Would be great to have an option to put it up top maybe.  Otherwise, I'd imagine it can float above the footer ad if needed with a little CSS.

Thanks @Clover13!

Relocating your ad would likely be the best solution here. You could technically use CSS to reposition the mobile menu, but a top menu doesn't really meet the goals of an "app-like" interface which we've been aiming for. It's not a setting which will come baked in with version 5, but it's certainly achievable with a couple of lines of CSS 🙂

13 hours ago, Aerodynamic said:

Brilliant work ! Loving the progress.

Can we also round up an applause for the frequently in depth updates Invision is bringing? Something that doesn’t need to go unnoticed. It’s one thing to keep working on v5, but keeping us informed with a top notch video, is equally as important!

Well done team!

I appreciate that, thanks Cedric! The amount of time that goes into a quick 4 minute video is more than I'd like to admit haha! 😅

• Management
Just now, Day_ said:

These theme updates are making me extremely horny, not gonna lie. 😍

That quote is going straight into the top of our marketing.

Also, may I recommend:

Brian Quinn Q GIF by truTV’s Impractical Jokers

Honestly, though during the initial building phases back in early summer we used to have a weekly sync meeting with Ehren as he's in Australia and everyone else is not and he'd take us through concepts, and ideas and we'd all just say 'wow' for about 20 minutes.

Now I just send him badly annotated screenshots and broken HTML I mangled at 2am his time while he's sleeping.

Really well done @Ehren 🙂

Reading through all these new features and improvements made for a great blog post! Clearly, lots of thought and positivity have gone into this side of IC5, and the accessibility improvements are always welcome.

Love the new traditional header layout, thanks for keeping that and for integrating the strapline which will save work. So relieved to read that we can still apply hero header backgrounds!

Can't wait to see how the light/dark theming configuration will look and work in the AdminCP with both as a single theme; I'm thinking of perhaps adjacent light and dark options for each of the theme's settings to reduce page navigation when creating/editing.

Please don't forget to include range sliders and colour with opacity in the AdminCP theme settings. I'd like to see gradient settings and support for the existing stock images option made available in the image upload settings too.

A section for user customisation out of the box would be awesome, somewhere where we could add a background or form setting that each user could use to personalise the theme for themselves. e.g. users could choose a hero background image without having to select a whole theme just for the one they want, and the admin wouldn't have to add 10 themes with 10 different header images.

Any plans to add Unsplash to the Stock Images API?

Nice job and thank you!