Hump Day: A Refresh Has Arrived!

• Management
40 minutes ago, Sonya* said:

I do not have a scenario, but there have been a thread recently with urgent help needed 

There is also a hidden staff note at the top of the topic with a link to the support ticket. We also logged a "Follow up" reminder to revisit the topic and ensure that the issue was resolved.

image.png

There's a lot more going on behind the scenes than you may think. 🙂

39 minutes ago, Matt said:

There's a lot more going on behind the scenes than you may think. 🙂

This was not meant negative. Just an example how urgent help topic can look like.

Me, personally, I hate ticket support in most cases 😄 I like community support:

1. Searching before ticket can give a fix within minutes. Writing down and waiting for support can take hours.
  2. See if the issue is a known bug. When a support thread becomes hot or there are many similar threads, I can see that the issue is a bug and just wait for solution instead of ... you know, writing down 😄
  3. Get several ideas, brainstorming. While waiting for solution, I get answers from community, that probably do not contain a solution, but kepp me busy (I hate waiting). 
  4. Just browsing through threads a while. It's a kind of permanent knowledge update for me. 

1 and 2 save IPS support time that is (hopefully!) invested into developing new features 😉

Even if I can understand the reasons, why others would like ticket support, I am happier with community support.

Edited by Sonya*

4 hours ago, jesuralem said:

Is there any way we could choose between 6 months and 1 year ?

@jesuralem makes a good point here @Matt, and it is industry standard to offer monthly (not that I'm suggesting this! lol) and bi-yearly as well as annual renewals.  Some organisations (e.g. Adobe) even offer a slightly better rate for annual renewals up front.

Hint, hint. 😉 😄

Edited by liquidfractal

@Matt I wonder if you could create a "Spoiler" like functionality that a customer could use to highlight portions of a forum topic that they don't want to reveal to the other customers.  Support staff would be able to see the masked text not anyone else. These kind of postings would be left up to support staff to deal with.  Other customers may find value following along (as best they can with some details missing) if they think an issue being reported might arise on their site or is already happening.  

1 minute ago, Chris Anderson said:

@Matt I wonder if you could create a "Spoiler" like functionality that a customer could use to highlight portions of a forum topic that they don't want to reveal to the other customers.  Support staff would be able to see the masked text not anyone else. These kind of postings would be left up to support staff to deal with.  Other customers may find value following along (as best they can with some details missing) if they think an issue being reported might arise on their site or is already happening.  

Not a bad thought.
That would give customers a bit of option and if it is ok then the customer could choose to make public at any time.

• Management
3 minutes ago, Chris Anderson said:

I like this idea.

17 minutes ago, liquidfractal said:

@jesuralem makes a good point here @Matt, and it is industry standard to offer monthly (not that I'm suggesting this! lol) and bi-yearly as well as annual renewals.  Some organisations (e.g. Adobe) even offer a slightly better rate for annual renewals up front.

Hint, hint. 😉 😄

Stares at Commerce. Pours a stiff drink.

20 minutes ago, Sonya* said:

This was not meant negative. Just an example how urgent help topic can look like.

Me, personally, I hate ticket support in most cases 😄 I like community support:

1. Searching before ticket can give a fix within minutes. Writing down and waiting for support can take hours.
  2. See if the issue is a known bug. When a support thread becomes hot or there are many similar threads, I can see that the issue is a bug and just wait for solution instead of ... you know, writing down 😄
  3. Get several ideas, brainstorming. While waiting for solution, I get answers from community, that probably do not contain a solution, but kepp me busy (I hate waiting). 
  4. Just browsing through threads a while. It's a kind of permanent knowledge update for me. 

1 and 2 save IPS support time that is (hopefully!) invested into developing new features 😉

Even if I can understand the reasons, why others would like ticket support, I am happier with community support.

Oh, no - sorry! I was merely building on your post to illustrate that our staffed community support area is pretty customised now so we can leave notes (that may or may not trigger additional icons in the topic list to alert devs), we can send to tickets and we can log follow ups.

11 minutes ago, Matt said:

Oh, no - sorry! I was merely building on your post to illustrate that our staffed community support area is pretty customised now so we can leave notes (that may or may not trigger additional icons in the topic list to alert devs), we can send to tickets and we can log follow ups.

Looks like the making of another great addition to the product suite. Hint, Hint...

@Matt That is a step in the right direction. Still doesn't take the burden off the price hike, but it certainly gives more people the option to only renew when they need to. So potential for money savings in the long term.

I'd also recommend adding an option to make a thread in the support section "staff only" in case it contains sensitive information.

1 hour ago, Sonya* said:

I do not have a scenario, but there have been a thread recently with urgent help needed 

Well that's a good example @Sonya*

Kudos to @Marc Stridgen on that 10 minute response time! 🙂

Also saw @Mark H opened a ticket to track it within 30 minutes and stayed on top of the ticket all within an hour, nicely done!

I think if the future support works in that responsive and cohesive manner between IPS Staff and clients, it can work out well, however there will probably be a lot of duplication (which may be unavoidable anyway and likely the situation today with tickets). 

35 minutes ago, Clover13 said:

Kudos to @Marc Stridgen on that 10 minute response time! 🙂

Also saw @Mark H opened a ticket to track it within 30 minutes and stayed on top of the ticket all within an hour, nicely done!

I think if the future support works in that responsive and cohesive manner between IPS Staff and clients, it can work out well, however there will probably be a lot of duplication (which may be unavoidable anyway and likely the situation today with tickets). 

I've admittedly been harsh throughout this thread for my own reasons. And my opinion on this likely will not change.

However, I agree that the response time displayed within that thread is actually faster than I have seen at times via tickets.

So, if I could offer one suggestion on that for consideration. If you create a support thread and subscribe to it, also provide the option to limit from whom you get notification emails -- such as limiting the updates to IPB Staff, or everyone. Even more helpful would be the option to include the actual official response, or a summary of the response in the email received. This helps ensure you only see the responses that you want, and let's you keep focused on work without having to come back to the forum unless your input is required to further the ticket.

Personally, I'd also welcome TXT message updates from IPB staff notifications with simple "Additional info needed, Please visit ticket or check email" or similar. In this way, you're not having to wait around and can get on with your day.

Edited by Zapusto

1 hour ago, Chris Anderson said:

🔥 Great idea. It'd be a good way to showcase some information that one may want to be concealed for all minus IC staff. 

I'll be honest, the other day reading this thread I was really worried about the prices changes, lack of support, and wondering if I had made the right move from moving from Xenforo. But now that people have voiced their opinions and frustrations (myself included), it looks like things may be going on in the background with their support that we don't know about, and @Matt made some good changes already. I think we are going to be alight guys, now get in here for a group hug. ❤️

Season 4 Group GIF by Friends 

On 9/16/2021 at 10:48 AM, liquidfractal said:

There was a recent announcement that Zapier will be available for self-hosted customers as well.  Just FYI.

I obviously didn't make myself clear. It was a general observation about people having to complain before action is taken where a bit of foresight and planning could have avoided the mess. I think this is the biggest grip people have right now.

I genuinely believe the IPS staff are doing a great job. I recently had my VB migration issues resolved by @Stuart Silvester and my forum has never been better.

Going against the grain here and I know the decision has been reverted but yearly payment was another non issue for me, shame we can't have both options. I like to pay my bills and not have to worry about them but I understand people don't like change and if that's the way its always been done here in the past so be it.

Edited by Arcade King

• Management
19 minutes ago, Arcade King said:

I obviously didn't make myself clear. It was a general observation about people having to complain before action is taken where a bit of foresight and planning could have avoided the mess. I think this is the biggest grip people have right now.

I genuinely believe the IPS staff are doing a great job. I recently had my VB migration issues resolved by @Stuart Silvester and my forum has never been better.

Going against the grain here and I know the decision has been reverted but yearly payment was another non issue for me, shame we can't have both options. I like to pay my bills and not have to worry about them but I understand people don't like change and if that's the way its always been done here in the past so be it.

I appreciate the feedback, candor and your kind words as well. Annual payments are something we would still like to explore and if we can modify the infrastructure to accommodate both, I personally have no issue with doing so. It will be something we revisit at a later date.

3 hours ago, nodle said:

I'll be honest, the other day reading this thread I was really worried about the prices changes, lack of support, and wondering if I had made the right move from moving from Xenforo. But now that people have voiced their opinions and frustrations (myself included), it looks like things may be going on in the background with their support that we don't know about, and @Matt made some good changes already. I think we are going to be alight guys, now get in here for a group hug. ❤️

Season 4 Group GIF by Friends 

I am truly appreciative of this post; your earlier post(s) troubled me personally as being evil, disconnected and full of marketing fluff is not the image we want to project. I'm grateful you provided the opportunity for the dialogue to evolve, for feedback to be heard and actioned and to witness some of the thought and care that went into some of these changes behind the scenes. I apologize that our communication missed the mark and again appreciate the constructive feedback and patience while we digested and acted upon same. 

I'm all in on the group hug. 

1 hour ago, Dexter_X said:

I was just wondering regarding the new public/community support : when you've a security issue, now you'll post it in public so anybody can came try to hack your community ?? 😶

I assume someone with that issue would not go into detail on the forums. Instead they would post that they have a security concern and need help privately.   

Edited by Randy Calvert

Thank you @Matt @Charles @Lindy @Jordan Miller for stepping up, owning this and finding a compromise, especially one that is able to support and help protect struggling small fan communities and not for profits. It is hugely appreciated.

For what it's worth, I'll be re-adding my card details back and intend on renewing all my licenses that are due in the next 3 months.

• Management
1 minute ago, The Old Man said:

Thank you @Matt @Charles @Lindy @Jordan Miller for stepping up, owning this and finding a compromise, especially one that is able to support and help protect struggling small fan communities and not for profits. It is hugely appreciated.

For what it's worth, I'll be re-adding my card details back and intend on renewing all my licenses that are due in the next 3 months.

Thank you, I appreciate that. I'm really pleased to hear that you're staying with us. 🙂 

21 hours ago, Sonya* said:
  • Searching before ticket can give a fix within minutes. Writing down and waiting for support can take hours.
  • See if the issue is a known bug. When a support thread becomes hot or there are many similar threads, I can see that the issue is a bug and just wait for solution instead of ... you know, writing down 😄
  • Get several ideas, brainstorming. While waiting for solution, I get answers from community, that probably do not contain a solution, but kepp me busy (I hate waiting). 
  • Just browsing through threads a while. It's a kind of permanent knowledge update for me. 

GIF by BET

2 hours ago, The Old Man said:

Appreciate the kind words and the reconsideration! 

Suggestion: Ideally once in a ticket system using an SMS service like Twilio to notify user would be most helpful.

I would imagine if you asked me additional questions and I was able to respond in real or close to real time it would eliminate the asyncronus approach to submit and wait delays, for all involved.

If the cost isn't a business expense you wish to use how about a form that allows you to enter your phone number and the carrier you use and use the carriers email gateway to send email to sms? But maintaining such a of carrier's and format is not ideal and not guaranteed  or expedient delivery thru the gateway.

• Management
22 minutes ago, Ocean West said:

Suggestion: Ideally once in a ticket system using an SMS service like Twilio to notify user would be most helpful.

I would imagine if you asked me additional questions and I was able to respond in real or close to real time it would eliminate the asyncronus approach to submit and wait delays, for all involved.

If the cost isn't a business expense you wish to use how about a form that allows you to enter your phone number and the carrier you use and use the carriers email gateway to send email to sms? But maintaining such a of carrier's and format is not ideal and not guaranteed  or expedient delivery thru the gateway.

I only follow topics of interest and set my phone's email app to alert me to those follow emails based on a subject filter.