Why not offer push notifications solution

kmk

• 5 weeks later...

+1000.  I have a community for enthusiasts of a specific sport.  My community competes for participation and attention against a Facebook group for the same sport.  The Facebook group is crushing my community for daily interactions and up-to-the-minute breaking news type posts.  I think this is due to 2 big things, among others: 1, people are on FB all the time anyway, 2, PUSH NOTIFICATIONS.  Just to level-set, a push notification is one that shows up on your phone or desktop if you allow it, regardless of whether you're currently using that app.  Existing IPS notifications are great, but the user only sees them once they browse to the site.  Email notifications are not a solution and should be minimized for obvious reasons.

Tapatalk is one solution, but IMO it is a non-starter because the look and feel is nowhere as good as the mobile version of IPS, and to get your own branding and ads on Tapatalk you have to pay.  I already pay $70/mo for IPS, that's enough.  Tapatalk is its own ecosystem and they are very much in control of the user experience.

The only things saving my community from being obsoleted by the Facebook group is the sheer fact that a forum is a much better archive of information, and is a more dedicated environment.  The searching and organization cannot be matched by Facebook.  A FB group flows by like a river, and topics are gone and forgotten within a day or so.  There is also no way to monetize a FB group.  My community sells subscriptions which pays for the hosting and the rest we donate to charitable organizations in our sport.  A huge reason FB wins is that dopamine rush from receiving push notifications.

If IPS would provide a push notifications solution, there would be no need for a half-baked 3rd party solution, and it would dramatically improve our forums' ability to compete with Facebook.

Edited by Jack M

1 hour ago, Matt said:

For push notifications on iPhone, you need an app downloadable from the App Store. There's no way to push notifications to iPhones in any other way.

There you have it, folks.

Most users are not likely to download a separate app just to enable push notifications for one forum.

35 minutes ago, Joy Rex said:

Most users are not likely to download a separate app just to enable push notifications for one forum.

But those that wanted to, would. All it needs is an easy 'download our app' in the footer and the option is then available to everyone. I can only see activity decreasing over coming years unless forums get on board with it, every app you download has notifications these days

Edited by marklcfc

7 horas atrás, Matt disse:

Para notificações push no iPhone, você precisa de um aplicativo para download na App Store.

No Android também temos a limitação?

Nos EUA, a maioria usa IOS, mas não o resto do mundo. Mesmo que essa função seja implementada apenas para usuários do Android, seria um grande sucesso.

https://deviceatlas.com/blog/android-v-ios-market-share

2001445943_andoidvsiphone.png.7dde043d0dcaceb9bebe4840bd81a6db.png

Edited by DSyste

7 hours ago, Matt said:

For push notifications on iPhone, you need an app downloadable from the App Store. There's no way to push notifications to iPhones in any other way.

You could use an app template like https://www.webviewgold.com to create an app for iOS and Android. I don't know how well it works, but I think their app template supports push notifications and other native app features.

If you have a busy community, push notifications could become a real endless nuisance. A lot of mobile device owners complain of too many notifications, for every single app it seems these days. Could be useful though for things like reported content to staff notifications, as opposed to the every day jibber jabber.

8 hours ago, The Old Man said:

If you have a busy community, push notifications could become a real endless nuisance. A lot of mobile device owners complain of too many notifications, for every single app it seems these days. Could be useful though for things like reported content to staff notifications, as opposed to the every day jibber jabber.

I disagree.  If you only have notifications setup for responses to your own posts, and private messages, it's quite reasonable.  Less intrusive than Facebook notifications.

Edited by Jack M

• Management
On 5/14/2019 at 11:05 PM, DSyste said:

No Android também temos a limitação?

Nos EUA, a maioria usa IOS, mas não o resto do mundo. Mesmo que essa função seja implementada apenas para usuários do Android, seria um grande sucesso.

https://deviceatlas.com/blog/android-v-ios-market-share

2001445943_andoidvsiphone.png.7dde043d0dcaceb9bebe4840bd81a6db.png

Sales figures mean nothing sadly. There's little point investing a lot of energy into a system that does not work on one of the top two phone platforms.

5 hours ago, Thomas P said:

Please don't think about developing an App for Smartphones. We all have been there, seen that.
Doesn't make sense anymore in a responsive, progressive and Web 2.0-World.

I think we're on Web 5.0 by now.

I would agree, other than push notifications which require an app for iOS.

• 3 weeks later...

Xenforo also has push notifications. No idea how they done it, but you need a small php extension enabled for it. Which should be supported by your hoster then.

However that should not be a big issue if you have a bit of a good hoster.

Personally I don't like them, I also disable them, but some of the users would like them, so therefore a +1 for this request.

Push notification is a must if you want to compete and be ahead in the race otherwise you will be left behind.

It's due time IPS invest a chunk from their large bank account to find a method to implement an app with push notification for their CMS.

All things are possible when it comes to electronic codes, just need the right brain to implement it.

Edited by beats23

• Management
10 hours ago, Black Tiger said:

Xenforo also has push notifications. No idea how they done it, but you need a small php extension enabled for it. Which should be supported by your hoster then.

Xenforo supports push notifications for Android devices only.

We considered this,  but would rather implement it when we have a complete strategy.