IPS 4.7.2 final major problem

Davyc

• Management
1 hour ago, Giray said:

Not sure if you notified all the third party devs but if they had been they would not be scrambling at the last minute.

Yes, we have since we started releasing betas for 4.7 in May, and we wrote a dev blog outlining what the scanner will do including locking applications about a month ago.

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

Yes, we have since we started releasing betas for 4.7 in May, and we wrote a dev blog outlining what the scanner will do including locking applications about a month ago.

Yes, also don’t forget to mention that it was “unusable” up to recently: https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/469114-v472-beta-3-weird-bug-with-the-new-scanner/

There are several topics reporting issues with it and the always asking to check next beta.

• Management
15 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

Yes, also don’t forget to mention that it was “unusable” up to recently: https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/469114-v472-beta-3-weird-bug-with-the-new-scanner/

There are several topics reporting issues with it and the always asking to check next beta.

This is true, however PHP 8 compatibility was a big focus for 4.7, and PHP 8 made a lot of breaking changes (https://www.php.net/manual/en/migration80.incompatible.php).

I would encourage all our marketplace developers to ensure they are using PHP 8 when developing and testing their apps to ensure they catch fatal errors before they are published.

Wait until PHP 8.2... 🤪

3 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

No. It wouldnt matter what version of PHP you are currently on. The system will check that your applications/plugins are ready in preparation for our minimum version being PHP 8, and our recommended version currently being PHP 8

What happens if one of them isn't? Can I continue with the upgrade?

18 minutes ago, PatrickRQ said:

Sorry to say but you (IPS) have done the upgrade most unprofessional way I could imagine. No more to say, disappointed again.

Why? F'me if i'm wrong but there is a clear warning in front of the upgrade which you have to acknowledge with a slider!

But well I can feel the pain of @Davyc and others but if you're running a big site then why the heck don't you have a test environment? It takes a few minutes to migrate to a playground and test the upgrade and plugins there!

I made the upgrade in test a few minutes ago and i know that we can#t upgrade yet! 2 Themes and 3 Plugins get blocked, now i can wait for the devs in piece and silence 😉

Chris

• Management
29 minutes ago, PatrickRQ said:

Sorry to say but you (IPS) have done the upgrade most unprofessional way I could imagine. No more to say, disappointed again.

You will only have an issue if you are using third party applications that the authors haven’t had a chance to update since we started releasing betas in May of this year. 

I would think that most sites will be fine. 

To be clear, PHP 8 made breaking changes that will completely brick your site if we did nothing. 

15 minutes ago, marklcfc said:

What happens if one of them isn't? Can I continue with the upgrade?

Yes, you can continue the upgrade, but it will disable the application/plugin that is not compatible, and you will not be able to enable it again until its been updated. This is because it will render your site in an unrecoverable state otherwise.

1 hour ago, CaliPilot said:

...but if you're running a big site then why the heck don't you have a test environment? It takes a few minutes to migrate to a playground and test the upgrade and plugins there!.

Chris

Good point. Best point in the entire thread, actually. I take back my criticism. If we're serious about our setups, we create testing environments. Truth be told, it's not as easy as 1-2-3, but if your setup is monetized and mission critical, you hire someone who knows what they're doing. This does not mean that IPS could not, IMHO, have been more diligent in the warnings and process, but it splits the burden of responsibility in two. Thanks Chris.

One more thing. A quick shout out to @Adriano Faria who first thing this morning, and I mean first thing, was hammering out update notices on all of his apps. He's the only one that I've seen all day. I hope they all get approved quickly, but kudos for the immediate intervention. I hope that the other devs are also pushing updates, especially on the big apps that so many of us use!

Edited by Giray

13 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Yeah, fair play to Adriano. But he has been hampered by a bug that restricted him from doing it sooner.

As for 'hope other Devs...'..you're assuming that there are updates required for everyone. Don't assume.

Not assuming. Just looking at my dashboard with its several 'Locked' apps, none of which are yours 😇

Edited by Giray

The devil is in the detail, as is said.  The detail, however was assumed that everyone was on board and up-to-date.  I would still have liked to have seen a warning about third party apps possibly being locked 'before' the upgrade began.  It does this with themes where you either proceed or cancel the upgrade.  Running a scan after the fact is assuming a lot from people.

I agree wholeheartedly that if your site is mission critical then you should test 'every' update, not just this one, before proceeding to save yourself a lot of heartache.

As far as information, blogs, etc, not everyone reads them, especially if they are aimed at devs.  Even a post telling people be warned that some/all of your apps will be locked, so check with the devs to make sure they are up-to-date.

I would even go as far as flagging all apps in the marketplace to show that they are compatible with 4.7.2 because the 4.7 compatible flag may not always be correct, as witness in my own case where the apps are still purchasable, but will not work in 4.7.2 at this point in time. 

There's a lot more that could have been done to inform people of the pitfalls in an unmistakeable way - a pre-upgrade warning would have put me off upgrading until I was sure that everything would work, I never dreamed that some of the apps I use would be locked.

There are plusses and minuses in all of this; the good, the bad and the ugly if you wish lol.

As I mentioned it's no big deal to me, because I'm just a hobbyist, but someone else may have an even bigger headache to contend with.  Fair play to IPS for moving things forward and creating a great environment for us all to play and work with, but information is thin on the ground and I believe that is the one weakness that needs addressing 🙂

Just a very quick update before I sign off for the evening.  @Adriano Faria has pulled it out of the bag and the app that I use that is crucial to my site's existence has been swiftly approved in the Marketplace and my site is back up and running now.  So, a huge thankyou to @Adriano Faria and a big thank you to IPS for expediting the approval of the app.

I would point out one small thing to anyone who has a similar experience, once you update you have to 'enable' the app in the applications section of the ACP as it is not automatically enabled.  The locked status is no longer present.

Hope that helps 🙂

Edited by Davyc
darned spelling again

32 minutes ago, Davyc said:

The devil is in the detail, as is said.  The detail, however was assumed that everyone was on board and up-to-date.  I would still have liked to have seen a warning about third party apps possibly being locked 'before' the upgrade began.  It does this with themes where you either proceed or cancel the upgrade.  Running a scan after the fact is assuming a lot from people.

4.7.2 onwards does check the status with the Marketplace as detailed here: 

We however don't know whether an app/plugin needs disabling until the new core files are present on your system. They're used for real-time comparisons and tests to determine if there's going to be a fatal error.

The app scanner isn't a requirement for developers to be able to test their code and ensure it works with PHP 8.1, they'll see the fatal errors occur when testing.

This relates to changing the settings Pages > Records > Categories > Forum > Post topic.

I changed a setting and that apparently put into action a comment move (I mentioned this in the [feature suggestion] Database Records Canonical Meta Tag thread I created early Sept.). This was a little over a week ago, and at that time, I was unable to do much else with regard with regard to the "Categories' because there was a comment move in progress'. I needed to complete the edit of categories and attempted to do so today but am unable because the 'Comment move in progress' is apparently still running.

I checked the system tasks and and the 'System queue' has been running for over two and a half days now. I clicked to 'Remove the running' lock but that does nothing. It looks like it resets the task but if you immediately refresh the page, is shows it is locked again.

Please have a look and fix.

TYIA

Edited by My Sharona

2 hours ago, Davyc said:

There are those of us who also run apps that are not in the marketplace (and no idea what happens in that case). Luckily, I like to procrastinate when it comes to upgrades and haven't tried yet. I do have a test site though. I was thinking at leaving PHP 7.4 on but it looks that this won't avoid the problem which is a shame. So, I'll keep waiting for more news before any upgrade, but as others have said a script that lets you know beforehand would be ideal (and yes, I read why this hasn't been the case).

7 hours ago, Stuart Silvester said:

4.7.2 onwards does check the status with the Marketplace as detailed here: 

We however don't know whether an app/plugin needs disabling until the new core files are present on your system. They're used for real-time comparisons and tests to determine if there's going to be a fatal error.

The app scanner isn't a requirement for developers to be able to test their code and ensure it works with PHP 8.1, they'll see the fatal errors occur when testing.

This information should have been in the «blue banner» on top of our sites? 
We really need to be active on here to learn stuff like this - about a minor upgrade…

Could contain: Text, Business Card, Paper

2 minutes ago, Kjell Iver Johansen said:

This information should have been in the «blue banner» on top of our sites? 

Yeah IPS will not because it doesn't help them to sell it to more users. Their are lot of ways, where IPS could have handled this much better. 

Allowing customers to know before the upgrade starts, but no - they wanted to forcefully disable it.

Irony  - is those disabled addons are marked as compatible on IPS website itself for 4.7. 

Horrible decision from Matt/team and pass the blame game to PHP 8.x. 

Edited by AlexJ