IPS 4.7.2 final major problem

Davyc

I've been running 8.1 for months now. Why are some of my apps locked to prevent fatal errors if they were already compatible?

Also why wasn't there any mention of this in the update list? The update just said Improvements to marking posts as solutions. I assumed it was a small update. I would say moving to php 8.x compatibility is a pretty key feature.. What's the point in showing anything if you aren't going to show anything useful?

Now I have 3 major apps that are the center of my community disabled waiting for updates that could potentially take weeks. It's just another failure after the next with these recent updates. Very truly ashamed how much IPS has devolved over the years.

14 minutes ago, Daddy said:

I've been running 8.1 for months now. Why are some of my apps locked to prevent fatal errors if they were already compatible?

Also why wasn't there any mention of this in the update list? The update just said Improvements to marking posts as solutions. I assumed it was a small update. I would say moving to php 8.x compatibility is a pretty key feature.. What's the point in showing anything if you aren't going to show anything useful?

Now I have 3 major apps that are the center of my community disabled waiting for updates that could potentially take weeks. It's just another failure after the next with these recent updates. Very truly ashamed how much IPS has devolved over the years.

Same issue here... this is insane 😞 

@Matt, half of the resources I had to update since yesterday had a different parameter name in a Rest API method:

protected function _createOrUpdate( \IPS\node\Model $category )

I had to change it to:

protected function _createOrUpdate( \IPS\node\Model $node )

because of \IPS\Node\Api\NodeController.

---------------------

EDIT:

Another example:

public function saveForm( $val )

and:

public function saveForm( $values )

Is that REALLY necessary?

Edited by Adriano Faria

8 minutes ago, Duken said:

It is not about a simple snapshot....

I'm not warned on the update proces. There are many forum's with issues at the moment.

I'm not the brightest candle on the cake but i learned it the hard way.. many times.. Backup.. every time.. minor or bigger updates.. doesn't matter if there is a warning or not. But i admit, a few words about the impending consequences from IPS would have saved some guys from frustration (even IPS devs).

Chris

• Management
29 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

@Matt, half of the resources I had to update since yesterday had a different parameter name in a Rest API method:

I had to change it to:

---------------------

EDIT:

Another example:

and:

Possibly not, I will investigate and we can isolate that check. We have to check signatures though, so if the parent was:

function foo( \IPS\Member $member )

And third party code overloaded with

function foo( $member )

Then you would get an error, so it's probably good practise to match the param signatures exactly moving forwards.

Here's a good blog outlining the cool new things PHP 8 brings (and the breaking changes): https://stitcher.io/blog/new-in-php-8

I have updated the release notes to include a link to this topic.

This will be visible in the upgrade block in the AdminCP.

• Management

@Adriano Faria regarding different parameter names, PHP 8 is ok with it... for now. They may change this in the future.

This RFC proposes to follow the model of Python or Ruby: PHP will silently accept parameter name changes during inheritance, which may result in call-time exceptions when methods with renamed parameters are called. Static analyzers and IDEs are encouraged to diagnose parameter name mismatches (with appropriate suppression facilities).

55 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

I had to change it to:

---------------------

EDIT:

Another example:

and:

https://wiki.php.net/rfc/named_params#parameter_name_changes_during_inheritance

2 hours ago, optrexnz said:

All these complaints but a simple server snapshot would have allowed an instant rollback. You’re warned to back up first. 

And how would I do that when being on an IPS hosted plan? 

I don't see any such functionality in the ACP

BTW: with the update I have lost all downloads (using "Downloads Plus") from my site, which is a major part of it. I have contacted the author, but who knows when or if there will be an update.

Without any warning one would never ever expect such system changes in a minor update. 

1 minute ago, Luke Zimmermann said:

My websites 'Classifieds' is totally down, despite buying the one made by 'InvisionHQ'. Why wouldn't there be an immediate compatibility with the latest PHP update if this Classified system is run by Invision itself? 

Just to note, this is a third party author, not ourselves.

What I see here, that clients are outraged by the company's lack of transparency in relation to aggressive blocking of their apps/plugins, they should have had a warning before proceeding with the update, that's what everyone is commenting on.

Many users are dependent on third-party apps to make their community what it is today, and that has become a big issue now.

Honestly, after all these reports, I'm zero excited to update my community now, I'll wait for all this puera to subside.

Good luck to the team in having to deal with this whole complaint, something that could have been avoided.

• Management
13 minutes ago, Hisashi said:

clients are outraged by the company's lack of transparency in relation to aggressive blocking of their apps/plugins, they should have had a warning before proceeding with the update

Since PHP8 includes some breaking changes from PHP7, we've built a Method Scanner that will iterate through third party apps and plugins to find fatal issues, disabling any such customizations on upgrade. The apps and plugins disabled in this manner will not be able to be re-enabled until they are updated with the fixes. Developers, please make sure that your resources are fully tested with PHP 8+ and the method signatures match.

I don't know what else we can do. We've given our marketplace authors about a year to prepare. We started releasing betas in May, and we posted the above in August; yet a lot of our marketplace authors seem unaware.

However, we do not want to cause our clients a headache, so we're working on a way forward that doesn't leave you without apps and plugins you need.

11 minutes ago, Matt said:

I've re-opened this topic. Please read the message above the topic, thanks.

Hi Matt, 

I think the patch is now live on my site but I'm still seeing locked for my Classifieds application:

Could contain: Text

Edited by Luke Z