4.7.0 Beta available now

9 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

What’s the plugin name? Once you know, use any FTP software to access the /plugins folder and find its folder. It’s the one related to the plugin name. Once you find it, click on it and go to /hooks folder. Download the files inside this folder and find the onde with the function name parseTextForEmail. You will notice that this file has 2 parameters in that function. It now has 3. Add a , (comma) and what I posted above. Save and re upload the file.

If you never did that, you better ask someone to do it for you.

Ah! I didn't know where to find the hooks.php!

It turned out to be the Limited E-mail Content plug-in by @Fosters, which he says is no longer needed in 4.6, however, it seems to have an additional feature to strip HTML from the e-mail (prevents being flagged by SendGrid for spam links if a spammer gets in).   So I made the changes you instructed @Adriano Faria and it works fine now. 

Thanks to everyone who chipped in to help!  Very much appreciated. 

Look @Matt! I'm a PHP dev now! 🤣

On 5/12/2022 at 7:14 AM, Matt said:

This week, @Daniel Fadded hCaptcha as a new CAPTCHA method to be used on the contact us form, guest posting and other areas a captcha is used. hCaptcha seems to be a more robust method to keep those pesky bots out. You will need to sign up to hCaptcha, but it's a short registration process and they have a free tier which should be all you need.

One of our enterprise clients mentioned that bots and guests are searching for random things which makes analysing the search trends difficult, so we've added a feature to allow you to omit member groups from adding to the anonymised search logs.

Another popular piece of feedback was to add 'solved' and 'unsolved' filters to the activity stream, and @Andy Millne did just that for 4.7.0.

Elsewhere, @Stuart Silvester improved the speed at which Elastic Search re-indexes the site (useful as 4.7.0 needs a re-index due to the new solved filters).

Our master API person @Daniel F made some improvements to the Zapier integration for this release.

Star Trek Applause GIF 

Nicely done, team! 

• Management
3 hours ago, CheersnGears said:

It turned out to be the Limited E-mail Content plug-in by @Fosters, which he says is no longer needed in 4.6, however, it seems to have an additional feature to strip HTML from the e-mail (prevents being flagged by SendGrid for spam links if a spammer gets in).   So I made the changes you instructed @Adriano Faria and it works fine now. 

You’re hired!

I learned by fixing others code and figuring stuff like this out. Glad to hear you’ve got it sorted. 

On 5/13/2022 at 7:03 PM, CheersnGears said:

Thx for the information, i had no idea that it could be handy for such usecase. I‘ll probably release an upgrade 🙂 

I completely failed to notice that line about the SQL Toolbox. I use it a lot on clients' sites to check data. They often give me no phpMyAdmin (or similar) access, either because they don't want to or simple because they don't know how.

Do I have to make my own custom SQL Toolbox app so I can temporarily install it and get things done now...? 🙄

Edited by teraßyte

37 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

You bet. Worst: pretty sure it won’t be accepted in marketplace.

Yeah. I'll just have to make it available only on my own site, just like it happened recently with a rejected plugin (to hide that annoying "dangerous php functions" notification in ACP). 😋

Edited by teraßyte

10 hours ago, teraßyte said:

I completely failed to notice that line about the SQL Toolbox. I often use it on clients' sites to check data. They often give me no phpMyAdmin (or similar) access, either because they don't want to or simple because they don't know how.

Do I have to make my own custom SQL Toolbox app so I can temporarily install it and get things done now...? 🙄

9 hours ago, Adriano Faria said:

You bet. Worst: pretty sure it won’t be accepted in marketplace. 

I really miss more reactions. 👎

Really wish there was a certain Slack channel where we could share things like this 🤔

😉 

Is it worse to have access to SQL Toolbox, or have people open their database directly?  Seems people will now be driven to phpMyAdmin to fiddle with things.  While they're there, might as well make a few adjustments to make things run better, no?

Seems like a better option to leave this in place.  There is already a warning with it.

• Management

We removed it because it's a really dangerous feature that really doesn't belong in a modern community platform. If you want a light weight SQL tool (which is way more comprehensive and feature-rich than our simple tool) then definitely check out Adminer. It's a single PHP file.

I use this when working with self hosted clients. It takes seconds to upload and log into. Just remember to remove it when you're done.

12 hours ago, teraßyte said:

I completely failed to notice that line about the SQL Toolbox. I use it a lot on clients' sites to check data. They often give me no phpMyAdmin (or similar) access, either because they don't want to or simple because they don't know how.

No need, just upload the single 450kb Adminer file and log in using the conf_global details. It's what I do. 🙂 

3 hours ago, Matt said:

We removed it because it's a really dangerous feature that really doesn't belong in a modern community platform. If you want a light weight SQL tool (which is way more comprehensive and feature-rich than our simple tool) then definitely check out Adminer. It's a single PHP file.

I use this when working with self hosted clients. It takes seconds to upload and log into. Just remember to remove it when you're done.

No need, just upload the single 450kb Adminer file and log in using the conf_global details. It's what I do. 🙂 

Sorry Matt but that's simply just not possible with CIC clients. 👀

And as Adriano mentioned just above, sometimes they don't even provide FTP access. So yeah, it might be a "dangerous" feature, but it really helped when debugging things without having to waste time getting the proper FTP/phpMyAdmin access.

I would very much prefer you guys slap a big fat error message (or something similar) above it so normal users are scared of using it rather than removing it altogether...

Edited by teraßyte

11 hours ago, Matt said:

We removed it because it's a really dangerous feature that really doesn't belong in a modern community platform.

Did you have a lot of bad experiences with that feature - a lot of supportissues? 

I find it kind of difficult to install another 3'rd party program to run some simple commands. I use that section in ACP to select random users for a monthly price. Just a simple command i run. This is somewhat making life harder. A root admin should be able to run any command on his server. A big red text above would be simple enough..

On 5/20/2022 at 1:32 PM, Fosters said:

Thx for the information, i had no idea that it could be handy for such usecase. I‘ll probably release an upgrade 🙂 

Yeah, if a spammer gets through and somehow posts a spammy link and then it sends out a "there's been a post in this thread" update to a bunch of people, it will set off alarm bells at SendGrid and the other competitors. 

But its even good because admin e-mails saying "A guest has posted something that needs approval" still get routed through SendGrid and if there is a spammy link in that, SendGrid will still flag you. Imagine if you have 5 admins that all get the same e-mail. 

That's why I like your plug-in and wished to keep it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2022 at 6:26 AM, Matt said:

As a developer, this is extremely upsetting, actually. And of course, as others mentioned in this thread, with CIC this is completely impossible. Does IPS intend to provide developers with another way to access the database for clients that are hosted in the cloud? Or are we expected to submit support tickets every time we need to do our own troubleshooting for 3rd party apps/plugins?