4.7.0 Beta available now

• Management

Hi all!

I wanted to let you know that we've just released 4.7.0 Beta 1 and I wanted to run though some of the highlights on the release notes page.

All platform key changes:

• Improvements to the fluid mode per forum view
  • hCaptcha added as a new CAPTCHA option for use on the Contact Us form and when accepting guest posts
  • Ability to only log searches from specific member groups
  • New solved/unsolved filter for activity streams
  • Speed improvements when rebuilding Elastic Search indexes
  • Fixes and improvements to our Zapier integration

Self-hosting key changes:

• PHP minimum version increased to 7.4

Platform key changes:

• New product architecture to consolidate existing cloud functionality and to provide upcoming features

We recently released a cool little feature to enable you to consolidate a forum and all sub-forums into a single list of topics, much like the global fluid view mode. We took onboard some feedback and made it a little more efficient and also reversed the checkboxes so they are ticked by default as some reached out to let us know it was confusing loading a page with content and unchecked boxes. We also added the new URL parameters into the default robots.txt to avoid Google and friends adding faceted pages into its index.

This week, @Daniel Fadded hCaptcha as a new CAPTCHA method to be used on the contact us form, guest posting and other areas a captcha is used. hCaptcha seems to be a more robust method to keep those pesky bots out. You will need to sign up to hCaptcha, but it's a short registration process and they have a free tier which should be all you need.

One of our enterprise clients mentioned that bots and guests are searching for random things which makes analysing the search trends difficult, so we've added a feature to allow you to omit member groups from adding to the anonymised search logs.

Another popular piece of feedback was to add 'solved' and 'unsolved' filters to the activity stream, and @Andy Millne did just that for 4.7.0.

Elsewhere, @Stuart Silvester improved the speed at which Elastic Search re-indexes the site (useful as 4.7.0 needs a re-index due to the new solved filters).

Our master API person @Daniel F made some improvements to the Zapier integration for this release.

We have raised the minimum PHP version to 7.4, but we do recommend 8.0. We are still working through 8.1 compatibility.

Our cloud platform has new architecture to remove a lot of existing if( \IPS\CIC ) code that you may have seen in our codebase. Moving all cloud functionality into its own area means that those on the self hosted platform won't have to run these checks constantly in the code.

We chose to name this release 4.7.0 because of the PHP minimum version changes and the cloud platform code consolidation.

Let me know if you have any questions on this next release.

1 minute ago, nodle said:

I saw this:

• Increased minimum PHP version to 7.4 and recommended version to 8.0.

Does this mean we will be able to switch to PHP 8.0 once the final gets released?

You can switch to PHP 8.0 now if you want to, it has been supported for months. This is a change to the recommendations that will appear on the support pages. We don't yet have support for PHP 8.1 but we're working on that.

Just now, Stuart Silvester said:

You can switch to PHP 8.0 now if you want to, it has been supported for months. This is a change to the recommendations that will appear on the support pages. We don't yet have support for PHP 8.1 but we're working on that.

Dam, I miss read that I thought it said PHP 8.1, my bad @Stuart Silvester

10 minutes ago, teraßyte said:

@Matt I'd love it if you guys take a look at the bug reports in https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/forum/504-developer-connection/ ...

I reported a lot of minor bugs myself lately (easy fixes, too) but nobody replied to the topics and I don't see them listed in the release notes, either. 🙄

Thanks for that, I was wondering why they had stopped responding to bug reports there. I used to use the Support forum to report them but switched to the dev forum as it made more sense, then they got abandoned!

44 minutes ago, Matt said:

Let me know if you have any questions on this next release.

Thanks for the updates Matt!

1 hour ago, Matt said:

We have raised the minimum PHP version to 7.4, but we do recommend 8.0. We are still working through 8.1 compatibility.

Does 7.3 work on PHP8.0? I was having performance issues when I bumped my site up to 8.0 and ended up moving it back. 

22 minutes ago, CheersnGears said:

Does 7.3 work on PHP8.0? I was having performance issues when I bumped my site up to 8.0 and ended up moving it back. 

I switched up to PHP 8.0 and started getting template errors even with the default template.... so I guess I'm stuck

Matt
This post was recognized by Matt!

"Accurate and concise, thanks Nathan!"

Nathan Explosion was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 50 points.

6 minutes ago, CheersnGears said:

I switched up to PHP 8.0 and started getting template errors even with the default template.... so I guess I'm stuck

If you are seeing template errors using PHP 8.0.x, and are 100% positive that the theme being used is unmodified from defaults, then you need to look under the surface. A template error on the front-end will have a corresponding entry in the system/error logs in the ACP - so take a look at those. Possible that the content of that log will reveal a 3rd party plugin/application in use, possible that it won't.

Post the log data if you don't get anywhere with it.

3 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

If you are seeing template errors using PHP 8.0.x, and are 100% positive that the theme being used is unmodified from defaults, then you need to look under the surface. A template error on the front-end will have a corresponding entry in the system/error logs in the ACP - so take a look at those. Possible that the content of that log will reveal a 3rd party plugin/application in use, possible that it won't.

Post the log data if you don't get anywhere with it.

I shut off all of my plug-ins and slowly turned them back on until the error returned.  Found out it was a plug-in that I really like but has been abandoned by its author.  It's unfortunate.... it's a small thing, but it was a nice feature. 

• Management
25 minutes ago, CheersnGears said:

I shut off all of my plug-ins and slowly turned them back on until the error returned.  Found out it was a plug-in that I really like but has been abandoned by its author.  It's unfortunate.... it's a small thing, but it was a nice feature. 

DM me the plug-in name. If I get time tomorrow I can check it out and see if I can find the issue if it's a small plug-in. I bet it's something simple to solve.

17 minutes ago, hackinOS said:

I'm testing on host. So, if 4.7.0 released, can i update direct from ACP?

Go to the client area, click on your license, then click download beta in the top right. Here you'll see some important information about using a beta and instructions of how to download it either from the client area or through your AdminCP.

1 minute ago, Stuart Silvester said:

Go to the client area, click on your license, then click download beta in the top right. Here you'll see some important information about using a beta and instructions of how to download it either from the client area or through your AdminCP.

I mean, i installing 4.7.0 Beta 1 on my host. But if it released ( not using beta 1 ), can i update again with 4.7.0 release package?

19 hours ago, Matt said:

DM me the plug-in name. If I get time tomorrow I can check it out and see if I can find the issue if it's a small plug-in. I bet it's something simple to solve.

@Matt many thanks for assistance on this one. 

Going further in my PHP8 debugging:

If I'm already logged in to the Admin panel and switch to php8, I can work fine.
But if I'm not logged in, and the site is set to php8, I get a PHP500 error.
The customer facing site works fine.

The log throws this.

PHP Fatal error:  Declaration of IPS\hook592::parseTextForEmail($text, ?IPS\Lang $language = null) must be compatible with IPS\_Email::parseTextForEmail($text, ?IPS\Lang $language = null, $truncate = null) in /home/ddowdell/public_html/cheersandgears.com/init.php(913) : eval()'d code on line 66

9 minutes ago, CheersnGears said:

Declaration of IPS\hook592::parseTextForEmail($text, ?IPS\Lang $language = null) must be compatible with IPS\_Email::parseTextForEmail($text, ?IPS\Lang $language = null, $truncate = null)

You have 3rd party hook/app incompatible with your IPS4 version. 🙂

6 minutes ago, DawPi said:

yeah, I figured that... but it only happens on Admin log-in process?

6 minutes ago, DawPi said:

I think I know what it is... standby. 

Edit: Nope, not it.

Is there a way to search for hook592?

Edited by CheersnGears

2 minutes ago, CheersnGears said:

I'd be happy to.  I don't know which one to download or how to find out which one it is.

What’s the plugin name? Once you know, use any FTP software to access the /plugins folder and find its folder. It’s the one related to the plugin name. Once you find it, click on it and go to /hooks folder. Download the files inside this folder and find the onde with the function name parseTextForEmail. You will notice that this file has 2 parameters in that function. It now has 3. Add a , (comma) and what I posted above. Save and re upload the file.

If you never did that, you better ask someone to do it for you.