A (very) brief look at Invision Community 5

I like it so far. The dynamic theme editor looks extremely cool, I particularly like the ability to move header/nav blocks around ad hoc.

Random Q: will there be an option for sticky header/navbar in V5 out of the box? Not a gamechanger, I'm happy to use CSS to do it myself, but I'm just curious because the ballache I have with doing that in V4 is in accounting for all the anchor links (making sure content doesn't sit behind the sticky header when they jump to content/next page). Figure that sort of thing would be better accounted for if designed in-house. 😄

I really like the 'Helpful' button there as well, very 'Reddit' - and it doesn't take away (read: sit included within) the existing Reactions feature as I hoped. Very promising so far!

Can't wait to see more!

• Management
Just now, Dreadknux said:

will there be an option for sticky header/navbar in V5 out of the box?

it's not something we have on our list at present.

Just now, Dreadknux said:

really like the 'Helpful' button there as well, very 'Reddit' - and it doesn't take away (read: sit included within) the existing Reactions feature as I hoped.

Yes, I see 'this is helpful' as being something outside of reactions. I may like/laugh/thanks at various posts but it does not mean that they fix the problem the topic poster had. "Helpful" is a clear signal that the post offered the topic starter a sensible answer. It's a useful tool for transactional type topics (I need an answer to _____ / I need _______ solving) and helps reduce the noise in a topic until the topic starter or moderator marks a specific post as the definitive answer.

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Yes, I see 'this is helpful' as being something outside of reactions. I may like/laugh/thanks at various posts but it does not mean that they fix the problem the topic poster had. "Helpful" is a clear signal that the post offered the topic starter a sensible answer. It's a useful tool for transactional type topics (I need an answer to _____ / I need _______ solving) and helps reduce the noise in a topic until the topic starter or moderator marks a specific post as the definitive answer.

Oh I see, so it's primary use is to be paired up with the 'Solutions' / 'Q&A Forum' side of the platform, right? Does that mean it won't be available for forums/content that aren't specifically 'Questions' focused? I can see something like this also doubling up as a great general-use "this content is useful" feedback feature for our community. 🙂 

• Management
37 minutes ago, The Old Man said:

Very nice!  Please add an option to disable Rick Astley.

Never gonna give him up!

29 minutes ago, marklcfc said:

Where's the dark mode light switch placement?

At the bottom near the footer currently. There is an 'auto' mode to take the value from your OS.

Personal reactions:

- Dynamic theming is useful to new clients who want some decent design options out of the box, without getting a whole new custom theme.  But once you set up your theme, you're unlikely to change it (especially elements for navigation!).  I think this will encourage clients to stick more with the core theme as much as possible. 

- IPS has an incredibly robust and wide array of content signals.  There are staff highlights, post notes, topic summaries, popular, Mark as Solved, reactions, and the new Helpful. How these all blends together into one cohesive strategy is not as clear for communities.  But we certainly have options.  

- The new Grid and Modern will work well on smaller boards, since they add several lines of recent topics.  Large boards with dozens of boards will be overwhelmed.  New communities and tightly focused communities will benefit the most from these new and improved layouts.  

• Management
8 minutes ago, Joel R said:

IPS has an incredibly robust and wide array of content signals.  There are staff highlights, post notes, topic summaries, popular, Mark as Solved, reactions, and the new Helpful. How these all blends together into one cohesive strategy is not as clear for communities.  But we certainly have options.  

I have a lot of thoughts on this which I’ll put in a blog at some point but we as a platform service two different community needs; transactional and social. The transactional topics benefit most from helpful/solved. Less useful for social conversational topics where notes and moderator tools come in.