A (very) brief look at Invision Community 5

• Management
1 hour ago, Vakarian96 said:

It looks fantastic! When can we have it? 😄

Will ipsV5 also have a way to confirm externally embedded content like YouTube videos with an opt-in before data like the IP address is transmitted?

What about existing self-hosted licenses, will they be more expensive?

We do have plans for an opt-in before viewing embeds but it'll likely not be in 5.0. Version 5 is the start of the next chapter and it'll mature quickly over a number of releases.

Self-hosting license prices have already been released for v5. You can even switch to the pricing now (Client Area > Manage Purchases > "Change your license to new Invision Community Classic terms"

15 minutes ago, Noble~ said:

I like the new things coming up in V5, I wish you guys kept the support ticket app in the software however I understand the reasoning for it, would be nice if you would supply the Support desk to Self-hosted customers that still run 4.😁

Version 4 will keep the support desk. It will be removed in version 5.

11 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Version 4 will keep the support desk

I Have 4.7.13 Installed will all the apps, I can see the support tab in the navigation however when I go to Commerce the support tab is not there to configure departments, Feel free to move this as it's going off-topic.

59 minutes ago, Percival said:

Wow. That's a big price increase for those who use forums app only. 😮

I think you may be misunderstanding there. You have no price increase at all, unless you choose to change terms (in the same manner as if you had chosen to add more applications before). If you havent changed terms, your price is as it was previously. What we have done is stopped selling items individually. This isnt an increase in price, it's a removal of sale options

19 hours ago, Vakarian96 said:

So is it possible to upgrade to V5 without converting the license? That sounds good, although the new package is also a fair deal and I am really thinking about it.

No. Moving to v5 will require accepting the new license terms. If you want to accept those terms early, you can gain access to the new pricing structure immediately including having access to all of the applications.  

Those that do not want the new terms can stay on v4. 

Edited by Randy Calvert

• Management
On 9/9/2023 at 5:22 PM, Randy Calvert said:

No. Moving to v5 will require accepting the new license terms. If you want to accept those terms early, you can gain access to the new pricing structure immediately including having access to all of the applications.  

Those that do not want the new terms can stay on v4. 

This is correct.

We have a new license for v5 which alters the renewal structure and removes the ability to "mix and match" apps. To download v5, you'd need to first switch licenses via the client centre. To be clear, you won't need to re-purchase a new license, just agree to switch to the v5 license.

That flexibility was such a an attractive and useful feature of IPS, and it will be sorely missed! I’ve had forums not work out and that flexibility helped me. The same happened with a client who then just needed the Gallery which is way beyond anything out there. TBH I didn’t realise it means that their IPS4 Gallery is on borrowed time and I’ll have to switch to a replacement.

I realise Invision wants to increasingly appeal more to larger enterprise clients, but I can’t help feel it is slowly but surely moving away out of reach from the low budget personal/hobbyist sites that essentially helped get Invision where it is today, which is sad.

2 hours ago, The Old Man said:

I realise Invision wants to increasingly appeal more to larger enterprise clients, but I can’t help feel it is slowly but surely moving away out of reach from the low budget personal/hobbyist sites that essentially helped get Invision where it is today, which is sad.

As mentioned a few times around the site, this is more to bring viability to a declining self-hosted market for the long term. This gives a more sustainable model into the future

v5 looks promising.

As someone who runs small communities and is working on relaunching one currently, this new licensing is great for us. It actually lowers our total paid and gives us access to apps that would have been nice-to-haves but we couldn't justify the extra costs.

Still some disappointment over the decisions about the marketplace, but v5 gives me some hope for the future of Invision