v5 news coming soon...

On 7/25/2023 at 9:07 PM, Matt said:

App integration, specifically pages records and topics - I see this as a semi-dead feature in that I don't want to invest a lot of time into it (but it remains in v5 and no deprecation plans).

I'd rather find a smarter solution to the problem it solved 10 years ago. Other stuff is fine but we want 5.0.0 to be the start of a new journey and not just the end of one, so expect a lot of change over the 5.0 lifetime. We want to do the major things and then ship so customers aren't waiting 2-3 years between versions.

Well I’m glad not EVERY useful feature is being deprecated! Just “semi-dead” 😅.

Seriously though, I am excited about the thinking behind “smarter” solutions surrounding this - I’m definitely not  against change (I got over Status Updates already, honest!), as long as I can get behind the general vision.

For me, part of the appeal in migrating all of my separate silo sites into IPS was in exploring ways the different apps could communicate with each other by virtue of being on a single platform (being able to reference related forum topics in a wiki Page database record, or connecting an Event to a Gallery). I don’t necessarily feel like this is ‘old news’ or ‘end of journey’ / ‘looking back’ stuff - on the contrary, I think the inter-connection of apps is an exciting future-thinking concept for IPS with currently massively untapped potential. But I can definitely wait for something like this to be explored later throughout v5’s life.

So just to be clear, I am definitely excited about what new and future things v5 would bring… but at the same time I think it would be a step back to regress the apps to siloed experiences. What would then be the benefit for customers to add Pages, Gallery, Commerce etc to their community suites if they each just acted like separate websites? If it’s just about having a shared member base across the apps, you may as well just set up a SSO for a bunch of different apps hodge-podged together (and I don’t like that idea, it’s very inelegant).

The topics/pages thing, in particular, was all about tackling content redundancy and making sure that new Pages articles can leverage existing forum discussion to prevent the site looking inactive/dead. As long as the smart solutions-thinking down the road addresses this in some way, I’m on board.

Granted, this is more a conceptual feedback now than a developmental one, but I figured I’d mention it now rather than regret not mentioning it all later when v5 is about to launch and we all find out it’s just a Rick Astley video on loop 😄

Edited by Dreadknux

is there an official timeline for V5 ?

I guess developpers as well site owners would like to be able to decide now weither to invest time on V4 developpements or features or to wait.

Typically i might not implement a new marketplace app if there is a doubt on it future V5 compatibility. A dev might want to wait for V5 before starting developping a new app.

6 minutes ago, jesuralem said:

is there an official timeline for V5 ?

I guess developpers as well site owners would like to be able to decide now weither to invest time on V4 developpements or features or to wait.

Typically i might not implement a new marketplace app if there is a doubt on it future V5 compatibility. A dev might want to wait for V5 before starting developping a new app.

We have our own internal loose timelines at present, but nothing we can share at present as these very well may change. Once we are ready to share, we will of course let people know 🙂 

On 7/26/2023 at 12:08 AM, Grafidea said:

@Matt As you know, a lot of people use mobile devices, and I hope that V5 will bring many conveniences and improvements in terms of forum usability. It seems to me that the majority of users visit the forum from their smartphones rather than from a computer.

I think I remember seeing somewhere that it will be mobile first. Hoping that is true!

On 7/23/2023 at 1:29 AM, teraßyte said:

5. Account Settings: there are plenty of applications that add new tabs/sections in this area. IP.Board 3.x had an extension for that, but it was removed in 4.x and never re-added. This is the same situation as #1. Why do we have to handle everything by adding hooks all over? This should be made into an easy-to-add extension, too.

On 7/23/2023 at 6:11 AM, Matt said:

5) Will check to see if we have a solution for this in 5.

Please, don't forget to add an extension for this. There are several resources that add stuff there.

Edited by Adriano Faria

User Menu: Again, plenty of applications add new links in the logged-in user menu. Right now we have to rely on theme hooks to add new options, and sometimes themes are so modified that the hook fails to work. If we had an extension that passed the links together with the default ones it would make things much easier.

Fixed in v5.

Just checking. Does the new menu stuff add links to both areas below?

5EnUlyG.png

I mean, the whole userBar template, which includes the yellow area above and the popup itself with the links to profile, attachments, etc.