v5 news coming soon...

Support for MySQL transactions in v5?

Database operations that insert/update rows in multiple tables should be grouped into a single transaction. This improves data replication and avoids data inconsistency from accumulating over time. This mainly affects content creation/modification.

Support for spatial data types and queries in v5?

I'd like to see full support for spatial indexes and queries on at least lat/long points.

Support for date and time types in v5?

I'd like to see full support for YEAR, DATE, TIME, DATETIME, and TIMESTAMP including fractional seconds for times stored in the database, e.g., TIMESTAMP(6) and TIME(6). 

Also support many of the remaining data types as you can including binary and json data types.

I feel like the database layer has been neglected over the years in favor of the UX and hope that v5 will address this side of the SDK.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2023 at 8:05 AM, Matt said:

What would you like to see? We have our SEO reviewed quite often by our brand customers and while there is always room for improvement, most are very happy with the performance. We always watch changes to Google's algorithms and adjust where required.

I'm a big fan of the SEO tools in place, but I'll jump in. There's one small nitpick and one feature that would be a big help for me. 

1. When a URL changes, custom Page Titles don't follow. They show in the adminCP under the previous URL.

2. I would love to be able to create my own Title Templates for specific URL Paths. I realize that might be a bit of a niche request, however.

3. Clubs (Non SEO) - I'm using an unsupported plugin for categorizing Clubs. If there was a way to categorize or organize Clubs natively, that would be immensely helpful.

Can't wait to see what the team is cooking up. 

9 hours ago, FanClub Mike said:

1. When a URL changes, custom Page Titles don't follow. They show in the adminCP under the previous URL.

How it is ralized now for SEO reasons is perfect, you avoid 301 redirects and 404 errors.

the slug of the page is commanded by the topic id. If you take this url as an example, the slug is: 475095-new-spam-prevention-features and the id: 475095

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/475095-new-spam-prevention-features/

The same topic will be accessible from:

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/475095-qw4124

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/475095-nerqwrqw2154w-spam-prevention-features/

So if the url changes, it doesn't create indexing problems for you.

9 hours ago, FanClub Mike said:

2. I would love to be able to create my own Title Templates for specific URL Paths. I realize that might be a bit of a niche request, however.

AdminCP->System->Advanced Configuration->Friendly URLs, Isn't this what you are looking for?

• 2 weeks later...

HI,

Will v5 allow theme designers to add the existing form seperators and headings inbetween between Custom Theme Settings? Would be nice to be able to add them and simply drag/drop to break up or group longer tabs of options.

(I wanted to add a screenshot but I'm only allowed to add 52.7kB! But if you look at say Account Credit Settings in Commerce AdminCP that sort of thing.)

Also, will there be any new form field settings we can use in our Custom Theme settings, such as touch-friendly slider/range controls, color fields that support opacity (RGBA instead of just plain RGB) etc?

Many thanks!

23 minutes ago, The Old Man said:

HI,

Will v5 allow theme designers to add the existing form seperators and headings inbetween between Custom Theme Settings? Would be nice to be able to add them and simply drag/drop to break up or group longer tabs of options.

(I wanted to add a screenshot but I'm only allowed to add 52.7kB! But if you look at say Account Credit Settings in Commerce AdminCP that sort of thing.)

Also, will there be any new form field settings we can use in our Custom Theme settings, such as touch-friendly slider/range controls, color fields that support opacity (RGBA instead of just plain RGB) etc?

Many thanks!

We will be releasing more information on the front end soon once we are at that point 🙂 There isnt much we can inform you of at present

On 8/3/2023 at 11:56 AM, KT Walrus said:

Support for MySQL transactions in v5?

I am always paranoid that someone is going to press a button and the app do part of the updating and then something go wrong and screw everything up. In apps I have made it's pretty typical to need to insert rows into several tables and use those ids in other tables etc... Also, sometimes I have to have an update that affects hundreds of rows, in a way where if it were to stop in the middle it would be a real problem.

Edited by Midnight Modding

On 7/25/2023 at 9:07 PM, Matt said:

What would you like to see? Email templates are like coding in Dreamweaver in 1998.

Actually @Matt @Grafidea , I've aways liked the idea of being able to add templates from external providers and then being able to just drag and drop the necessary fields from a list (required/optional fields) into each template.

You can get so many really attractive free email templates these days, much better than I could create myself. It always seemed too time consuming in the past, checking in case you missed an important bit of code needed by IPS4.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like a lot of what I am seeing about v5.

However, I have no immediate plans on upgrading and my other site, I pulled down to focus on my main project full time. Unfortunately, as a hobbyist I don't think IPS is geared towards smaller sites any more. It's by far the best out there, but there are so many costs involved if you want to make it a bit more serious than just a forum pretending to be a site.

I've been with IPS since the very beginning, started my forum with IPB.

One day, I hope to have the time and money to bring back the projected end, that has far more potential to be bigger but with how life is in the UK - among health, it's just too much.

I'm very envious of those who can upgrade, in a good way.

It does certainly look like a great set forward and @Ehren is a great asset here. Though, I do miss @Rikki (I hope I mentioned the right account). I didn't realise that Rikki might look a lot like Gynn Jacob to me. 👀

• Management
3 hours ago, Kirill Gromov said:

@Matt Can you show us an example of how you reduced the jQuery and started using native js?

To be clear, we have no plans to remove jQuery from 5.0.0. We expect to begin a fairly lengthy migration process over several releases where we'll start rewriting our UI and utility classes to use native.

That said, I do not think it is critical to remove jQuery to improve page speed scores. We can probably get away with using jQuery slim, which is about 23kb of data sent once, and then your browser caches it. 23kb isn't insignificant but then a single image added to a page will negate any savings. Removing jQuery now would add further stress onto third party developers and delay v5 by 6-9 months given the huge amount of JS we are using for really little gain.

Anything significantly new is using native.

Here's the result of running Lighthouse for mobiles on my development install running with IN_DEV on (so no caching, no compiled or minified CSS, hundreds of script tags, etc). I would expect that to hit high 90s when not using IN_DEV mode.

Could contain: Text, Number, Symbol

• Management

In addition, I do want to point out that we have removed a significant amount of JS that is no longer needed including some libraries that acted as shims for older browsers. The entire CSS framework has been rewritten and is more compact, so there are significant savings already.

14 minutes ago, emidas said:

Can you share what, if anything, will change in regards to the API (along with any changes that could hinder or improve a custom OAuth implemention)?

We will of course have more blogs coming in due time, however if you are interested in development items, be sure to follow our developer blogs

https://invisioncommunity.com/developers/devblog/blog/