Back to Top button

Stormlilly

Could this be added to make IPS more user friendly on phones?

The scrolling that needs to be done on phone devices is mammoth and there's no easy way up to get back to the top.

Anyone else struggle with this?

The only addon in Marketplace I could find is from 2015 and no longer compatible.

Edited by Stormlilly

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, Jordan Invision said:

I'll take this feedback back to the team. I would imagine it might not get a big push though because there is a plugin for those who are looking for that functionality. 🙂 

IPS has created multiple features that duplicated existing features in the Marketplace.  I've lost count how many third-party mods they've cannibalized: letter avatars, clubs, reactions, membergroup colors, etc.  

Their latest feature of Anonymous Accounts existed in the Marketplace for many years, so this reasoning is totally irrelevant.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/8/2021 at 3:34 PM, Jordan Invision said:

I'll take this feedback back to the team. I would imagine it might not get a big push though because there is a plugin for those who are looking for that functionality. 🙂 

Is there a plugin? Because the only one I've seen linked or when I search says it is not updated for 4.3+

I've been trying to make my own, but not exactly familiar with IPS as opposed to old school traditional website structure.  I've made a custom HTML and CSS for my theme, but not exactly sure where to implement it so the 'Back to Top' appears globally.  Was also playing around with a script that would fade in a 'Back to Top' button when the user scrolls down, but again, not sure how to implement this globally.  An old friend said something about putting it "in the main wrapper" but again, does not know IPS and neither do I, on that level.

On 3/6/2021 at 9:49 AM, Woodsman said:

I never did like the back to top with sliders so I created my own with no slide much easier on my old eyes.

Same here. I wanted options that were not available, so ended up using an open source script and modifying it for our theme.  

I don't want to keep the actual script in my globalTemplate, tho... Do I need to take the site offline and put it in developer mode to add my own custom JS script file so that I can just use something like this in the globalTemplate?

<script src="JS/VgBackToTopButton.js"></script>

or can this be done by creating a new .js at: Pages > Page Management > Templates   (New > Add Javascript file)

And if the answer is 'yes' to the first or second part, can anyone help with what the path to that would be? I read the Guide here, but had questions likely from not knowing if I'm even barking up the right tree.  This is outside my wheelhouse, but I've been diving into HTML/CSS/JS this year to make some cool things for our site, and I'm totally willing to learn if anyone can steer me in the right direction here.  Much appreciated and thanks for the help!

14 hours ago, Scott Allen said:

Same here. I wanted options that were not available, so ended up using an open source script and modifying it for our theme.  

I don't want to keep the actual script in my globalTemplate, tho... Do I need to take the site offline and put it in developer mode to add my own custom JS script file so that I can just use something like this in the globalTemplate?

<script src="JS/VgBackToTopButton.js"></script>

or can this be done by creating a new .js at: Pages > Page Management > Templates   (New > Add Javascript file)

And if the answer is 'yes' to the first or second part, can anyone help with what the path to that would be? I read the Guide here, but had questions likely from not knowing if I'm even barking up the right tree.  This is outside my wheelhouse, but I've been diving into HTML/CSS/JS this year to make some cool things for our site, and I'm totally willing to learn if anyone can steer me in the right direction here.  Much appreciated and thanks for the help!

If this is for all themes, a plugin which imports your JS is your best bet.

If this is for a specific theme, go to the themes management area in the AdminCP and click the dropdown arrow next to your theme, then choose Manage Resources. Upload the javascript file, and then the table will show you the resource tag to use to point to that file's URL. You can then import this into your template using something like

<script src='{resource...}'></script>

The only reason I would say this is redundant is that both iOS and Android have built in capability to do a quick scroll to top. In iOS it’s universally just tapping the top of the screen. Android has a few different implementations but you can set it up with a gesture in any event. I understand that a button is super easy, but in this case it does seem like replication of native OS behavior. 

• 6 months later...

Bumping this, it's 2021, I am sure IPS could code this in a day and add it to a release with a simple toggle option in the ACP with an option for some .CSS coloring. Yes I know there are addons for it, but I think it's time to add it in the base code and theme.

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

It’s not about being hard to do. It used to be in early versions of IPB and was removed. I believe the reasoning was to simplify the user interface, especially on mobile devices. 

I would not hold my breath on this happening. If this is one of those oddball features that is super important to you, instructions exist on how to add it yourself. 

• 2 years later...
On 10/18/2023 at 9:31 AM, blackcab.th said:

@guyroch Does this plugin still exist for 4.4x users?

Here ya go. This should run well on 4.4 and up to the latest 4.7.x as well.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlkpoKUiQwwznPFaoIXvY6w7QxpPvA?e=bLwjoy

@Moderators: not sure if it's allowed to post a OneDrive external link to share a free plugin, please remove if this is a violation of the TOS.

Edited by guyroch