Invision Community 5: The all-new editor

• Management
9 minutes ago, 13. said:

H1 must be removed from this menu. Also, its insertion should not be triggered by just one "#" symbol (Markdown).

Each page must have a unique H1.

Could contain: Text, Person, Face, Head

Not always the case. I presume you mean for SEO purposes, but we've moved on a lot from the days where a two H1 tags would confuse the billion dollar AI driven company called Google.

Google: "Our systems do not have a problem with multiple H1 tags"

Multiple H1 tags on the same page are fine.

Question: Can we have a clear answer to the question how to handle headings and accessibility? I see a lot of multiple H1 (all but one are usually hidden) out there on the web. Everybody treats it differently. And stuff like the main tag?

John Mueller: So, this is a pretty common question and it’s pretty straightforward. Our systems don’t have a problem when it comes to multiple h1 headings on a page. That’s a fairly common pattern on the web. We use headings to better understand the context of different parts of a page.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Matt said:

Not always the case. I presume you mean for SEO purposes, but we've moved on a lot from the days where a two H1 tags would confuse the billion dollar AI driven company called Google.

It's important not only for SEO but also for accessibility, especially for screen reader users.

The usage of more than one H1 tag is considered a bad practice for a reason, as highlighted even in MDN docs.

By the way, Google isn't the only search engine in the world. I know it's (almost) not the case in the US, but other countries also exist on this planet.

Edited by 13.

7 minutes ago, Matt said:

It's worth remembering that the same editor can be used for Pages.

It's worth remembering that its behavior could be adjusted for specific regions such as Pages, while global defaults could follow best practices.

This is one of the more exciting features about IC5, and as a sort-of-power user the sticky toolbar and mobile considerations in particular are a godsend. Thanks for all your hard work, Matt!

I had a few questions about the new post editor;

1. Can we remove certain options from the post editor (for instance, I don't necessarily like the idea of my community's users being able to change the font size/style of their content, so being able to enable/disable certain toolbar buttons would be great for me)?

2. The boxes are great, but from a design perspective the box header area ("How to write JavaScript", for example) doesn't seem to stand out from the rest of the box content (and the padding seems a bit too much for my liking). Is there a chance of having a box header bgcolor implemented that's maybe a little darker/lighter than the box content background to make it pop (I can always use custom CSS to fix this myself but figured I'd ask if it was something that could be done out of the box)?

3. Will you be publishing a full FAQ/guide on what kind of markup code will be supported on this? One of the least desirable aspects of Invision V4 has been a lack of official documentation/glossaries regarding IPS template code and what is actually there for designers to use (making a custom theme has often been a matter of either accidentally finding out there is a 'native' CSS class for what I want a particular div to do, or creating new CSS classes myself and duplicating styles in ignorance), and it'd be a shame for me to ask end-users to guess what kind of markdown code works via trial and error. 😄

4. I like the idea that text colours change dynamically with light/dark theme - but is that only relating to the default IC5 theme, or will that also be the case for custom themes as well? I remember @Ehren's amazing walkthrough of the new theme editor a few months ago, and what seemed space-age to me was that changing a primary/secondary colour for a theme would also dynamically alter a container/button's text colour. Will post editor text colours work in the same way, or will I need to consider custom CSS classes to make a 'yellow' text colour readable on a similar-coloured post area background?

Thanks again!

2 hours ago, Dreadknux said:

1. Can we remove certain options from the post editor

We're discussing this internally still but there should be a way to restrict buttons by user and editor location in the final release

2. The boxes are great, but from a design perspective the box header area ("How to write JavaScript", for example) doesn't seem to stand out from the rest of the box content (and the padding seems a bit too much for my liking). Is there a chance of having a box header bgcolor implemented that's maybe a little darker/lighter than the box content background to make it pop?

That would be managed by the theme's CSS. We ended up keeping the background color the same once because a slightly darker/lighter color tended to look off in at least a few box color and dark/light mode combinations

3. Will you be publishing a full FAQ/guide on what kind of markdown code will be supported on this?

Probably not, but only because markdown code itself is not technically supported, rather we've included markdown style shortcuts. For example, if I pasted in "**some bold text**", it won't get converted to bold, it's only going to be converted after being typed out

4. I like the idea that text colours change dynamically with light/dark theme - but is that only relating to the default IC5 theme, or will that also be the case for custom themes as well?

Yes! It uses color-mix and other CSS tricks to consistently adapt to the different theme colors.

Very nice and clean, I really like what I see. congratulation @Matt Finger and well done.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

It's worth remembering that the same editor can be used for Pages.

Paragraph and that really cool Box buttons. also markdown are something I like to see for expanding.

Is there a way to create button as well? having a button making like Invision 4 in admin panel would be nice.

8 minutes ago, shahed said:

Is there a way to create button as well? having a button making like Invision 4 in admin panel would be nice.

Yes, we'll do a separate blog post, probably in the Developer Blog, but we created an editor plugin system with the ability to add and position new toolbar buttons.

• Management
25 minutes ago, Claudia999 said:

If I‘m playing with Demo on https://tiptap.dev/ - there are tables (without Markdown) and Table of Content available. Will these functions also be available in the new IC5 editor?

Not every function Tiptap supports will make it to our editor. It can do tables, but there's a lot of scaffold needed. We need UI to add/remove rows/columns etc. 

I'm sure it'll mature as 5.0 develops.

Will we be able to use official extensions, or is the solution too customized so it will not be possible?

Will we by any chance be using TipTap for the Pages editor as well, as I see it has content sitebuilder capabilities?

This looks so cool! I can't wait to try out v5. Great job team. 👏

One question: will custom emojis be available in v5? My forum has a few hundred and almost every member of my community uses one in each post. Just curious. 🙂 

Screenshot-2024-05-15-at-10-49-20-AM.png

5 hours ago, Jimi Wikman said:

Will we be able to use official extensions, or is the solution too customized so it will not be possible?

The short answer is no, but the full answer is yes (in theory) but you'll have to manually build them and then roll into an IPS Application to make sure the content type is supported on the back end. We'll address extending the editor in depth in a future blog so stay tuned if that's your thing!

Posted (edited)

I assume there will be no issues with the new Tiptap editor quoting from existing content and tags within the forums?

Regarding "code blocks" and "inline code", what languages will be supported in IC5 and how can we add additional language support? Can we make suggestions now to include for release in IC5?

Edit... and a useful feature will be to have a button to copy to clipboard the code block...

https://www.danielmarkavis.co.uk/blog/copy-to-clipboard-from-a-tiptap-codeblock-component

Ted.

Edited by Teddy Rogers