PHP8 will be the minimum version from November 2022

Matt

• Management
24 minutes ago, My Sharona said:

To her credit, Esther checked the file even after it was approved by IPS, to be sure it was what it was supposed to be. After which she stated that it was correct. Subsequently, other customers indicated they too were getting flagged.

I would definitely ask that those who feel that their modifications are now compliant, but are still getting flagged to let us know so we can further fine-tune the scanner if required. They can reach us in the marketplace devs slack channel we have, via the developer connection forum or via PM.

I'll speak to Esther this week to see what's going on.

@Matt what you're doing makes sense and I understand why.  My only concern right now is that there are people who are unable to properly use the scanner due to the number of 3rd party resources (or the size of the libraries in a resource).  

This means those individuals don't REALLY know if their apps are compatible right now while we're in a state where it's just noted but not force disabled.  

I'm assuming you're going to get the scanner fixed, but I need to if know we're going to have enough time between when you fix the scanner and when you start force disabling resources for those of us who are in a holding pattern right now.  

10 minutes ago, Matt said:

I would definitely ask that those who feel that their modifications are now compliant, but are still getting flagged to let us know so we can further fine-tune the scanner if required. They can reach us in the marketplace devs slack channel we have, via the developer connection forum or via PM.

I'll speak to Esther this week to see what's going on.

I've just saved you both some time :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2022 at 9:44 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

Your site running on PHP8 doesnt mean your tasks are running on PHP 8. Please check this with your hosting company

This was confusing me as well, and yes, it turned out my cron tasks were still under 7.4.  Maybe a line in the e-mail notice to the tune of "If your site admin panel says you are running PHP 8+, check your cron tasks or contact your server provider for assistance."

I am running many mods and apps on the Cloud server.
Can I know if cloud-based clients have already been upgraded to run on PHP 8 servers, or will this also be from Nov 1 for us?
I ask as I want to check if my apps and mods will still work with PHP 8.
Coincidently my website will go Live on Nov 1, which is our grand opening date, so I want to ensure it's a success and not riddled with bugs.

23 minutes ago, fantasystar said:

I am running many mods and apps on the Cloud server.
Can I know if cloud-based clients have already been upgraded to run on PHP 8 servers, or will this also be from Nov 1 for us?
I ask as I want to check if my apps and mods will still work with PHP 8.
Coincidently my website will go Live on Nov 1, which is our grand opening date, so I want to ensure it's a success and not riddled with bugs.

CiC instances are still running 7.4.x (at least my test cloud instance is).  

Ok,

I read the entire thread and it seems that Cloud Clients are on PHP 7.4.
IPS has a feature in Version 4.7.2+ where you can check if your mods and apps will work with PHP 8.

I just upgraded to 4.7.3 and there is no button for my to have it scan, but it is saying there are no issues.
So I assume this has scanned all my custom Mods and Custom Apps ?

And therefore I have nothing to worry about?
Could contain: Text, Electronics

1 hour ago, fantasystar said:

Ok,

I read the entire thread and it seems that Cloud Clients are on PHP 7.4.
IPS has a feature in Version 4.7.2+ where you can check if your mods and apps will work with PHP 8.

I just upgraded to 4.7.3 and there is no button for my to have it scan, but it is saying there are no issues.
So I assume this has scanned all my custom Mods and Custom Apps ?

And therefore I have nothing to worry about?
Could contain: Text, Electronics

Yeah, you're okay without doing anything. 🙂

9 minutes ago, Daniel F said:

Do you mean with "it errors" that there's literally an error, or do you mean the errors in the scanner?

That said, is it happening with the default IPS theme, it's probably the style, which isn't compatible with PHP8?

I'm sorry. I should have been more clear. I have a second cup now. haha

It's not an error message. It's a blank page. I did not think it could be a theme issue. I'll check. Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Michael R said:

I'm sorry. I should have been more clear. I have a second cup now. haha

It's not an error message. It's a blank page. I did not think it could be a theme issue. I'll check. Thanks!

A blank page is an error in PHP since typically you'll have "display_errors" disabled in production. Your PHP error log should have further information about the problem

I just switched my server from PHP 7.4 to 8.1 then upgraded to IPS 7.4.3.

If anyone is wondering, my CRON calls /usr/bin/php ...

That's just a link to the currently selected PHP version. I switch PHP versions using the following command on Ubuntu. It shows me the options (versions of PHP I have installed), and enables selection.

sudo update-alternatives --config php

• Management

Just a little friendly bump on this topic to remind those still using PHP 7.4, that our November release will require PHP8.

Point Remember GIF

If you haven't yet upgraded to PHP8, please do put a plan in place before you upgrade. Upgrading to the November release with PHP7 will result in a fatal error.

8 hours ago, Matt said:

If you haven't yet upgraded to PHP8, please do put a plan in place before you upgrade. Upgrading to the November release with PHP7 will result in a fatal error.

As in the upgrade will not even start, or the update will run its course and render the site unusable showing fatal error to users? 🙂

32 minutes ago, teraßyte said:

A friendly reminder to check the huge list of open bugs reports in the Developer Connection forum instead of nagging us about PHP 8. 😋

Can you imagine what that forum would look like if we weren't constantly reminding everyone of upgrading to PHP 8 before upgrading their forums?

But in all seriousness, the development team will definitely get around to it. We have had some other priorities take precedence recently but I assure you that the Developer Connection forum has not been forgotten.

On 9/26/2022 at 7:39 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

Of course this is up to yourself. Please bear in mind however if you leave it too long, you will then be upgrading at a point where items are disabled and locked, rather than just disabled. 

So... My one site is at a lull and I chose this period to bite the bullet, hope for the best and upgrade. I watched my app support threads and was/am confident that they were all upgraded to be compatible with 4.7.3. Thankfully the site is mostly operational. Yet the Marketplace section of the ACP will not let me update a couple installed apps. Hopefully I will get that resolved early this morning when IPS staff arrives.

Just wanted to round out my discussion and concerns within this thread with my experience.

Edited by My Sharona

1 minute ago, My Sharona said:

So... My one site is at a lull and I chose this period to bite the bullet, hope for the best and upgrade. I watched my app support threads and was/am confident that they were all upgraded to be compatible with 4.7.3. Thankfully the site is operational. Yet the Marketplace section of the ACP will not let me update a couple installed apps. Hopefully I will get that resolved early this morning when IPS staff arrives.

Just wanted to round out my discussion and concerns within this thread with my experience.

Please post another topic on that last issue if you believe it to be an issue our end of course

• 2 weeks later...