PHP8 will be the minimum version from November 2022

Matt

• Management
2 hours ago, PatrickRQ said:

Thanks for clarifying. Around what date in NOV you plan new update? Just to know how much time I have left. Is 4.7.3 already disables "PHP8 incompatible apps"? 

4.7.3 does disable incompatible apps but you can re-enable them after.

4.7.4 is currently in beta and we expect its release to be during the first two weeks of November. This update will not run on PHP7, it will throw a fatal error. Any incompatible apps will be disabled permanently. To re-enable them, you will need to upgrade the app itself.

8 minutes ago, Simarilius said:

Will there be at least security updates for the 4.7.3 PHP7 Release?

We dont offer individual security updates in any release. We release a new version in order to add security updates. So no would be the answer to the question there. 

It is worth noting, after November, there will be no security updates for PHP 7 itself anyway, regardless of what we release.

1 hour ago, Simarilius said:

Will there be at least security updates for the 4.7.3 PHP7 Release?

Debian doesn't offer php8 in it's current release (and php7 will get security updates from them) so i can't update to php8 until debian bookworm is released
https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/php

You may be able to install other versions of php using this repo - https://launchpad.net/~ondrej/+archive/ubuntu/php

I have 7.4, 8, and 8.1 on my server. 

@Matt Would it be possible to give a more refined date on when this upgrade is going to happen?  I've spent the whole weekend trying to prep for this (while single parenting a 4 year old) but I'm running out of time and going on no sleep.  Starting to make more errors than progress (need sleep...).

I'm on an old version (4.4.10) so I'm in a perfect storm where I must get the upgrade done before the new version is released or I have no path to upgrade (the current version is the last tick before support for PHP 7.4 goes away and I can't upgrade to PHP 8.0 because 4.4.10 doesn't support it).  We have a forum of around 12M posts so moving over without 'risking it all' isn't fast.

You'd be saving SOO much stress and give me and probably others the major helping hand if you could say it was Nov 7th or later (or whatever date).  You said the first two weeks, so until otherwise stated I have to assume Nov 1st (which means I may have to give up Halloween with the family tomorrow.... yes my issue for delaying...).

Thanks tons for any help.  

3 minutes ago, Dll said:

Surely the date the update is available is irrelevant in that respect - you can upgrade your site when you're ready to?

No, because the upgrader will only upgrade to the latest version. So if it’s the Nov release then it will say I must have PHP 8. But if I upgrade to PHP 8 then my current version (4.4.10) won’t function, so I can’t upgrade. 

So I must upgrade before the Nov release is final.

Edited by Fast Lane!

1 hour ago, Fast Lane! said:

No, because the upgrader will only upgrade to the latest version. So if it’s the Nov release then it will say I must have PHP 8. But if I upgrade to PHP 8 then my current version (4.4.10) won’t function, so I can’t upgrade. 

So I must upgrade before the Nov release is final.

This is incorrect. As mentioned by Nathan above, you can upload manually. So you would

• Update your server to PHP 8
  • upload a fresh set of files from your client area
  • Run the upgrader from /admin/upgrade

That you can do at any point

In answer to your question, we can only give the "First 2 week of November" as the release date, as it depends on what is found in the beta process. At present we are on beta 2. So we are of course getting closer to a release, but thats all we can give you unfortunately.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

The most realistic date at this point is Monday 7th November. We'll be doing betas all this week which are already stable so you can considering upgrading to any of the beta releases to give yourself a window of a week to get it together.

Thanks Matt.  Really appreciate the refined date.  It’s helpful to those of us that are trying to align :-).

5 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

This is incorrect. As mentioned by Nathan above, you can upload manually. So you would

• Update your server to PHP 8
  • upload a fresh set of files from your client area
  • Run the upgrader from /admin/upgrade

That you can do at any point

In answer to your question, we can only give the "First 2 week of November" as the release date, as it depends on what is found in the beta process. At present we are on beta 2. So we are of course getting closer to a release, but thats all we can give you unfortunately.

Could I stay at PHP 7.4 and upgrade to 4.7.3 (when I’m ready, even if 4.7.4 is out) as long as I downloaded it now and uploaded and then overwrote my files manually?  Or would the installer try to force me to 4.7.4?  I’m aiming to get this done this week — but covering my bases just in case  

I had almost forgot about manual upgrades (which used to be the only way to upgrade)!

4 minutes ago, Fast Lane! said:

Could I stay at PHP 7.4 and upgrade to 4.7.3 (when I’m ready, even if 4.7.4 is out) as long as I downloaded it now and uploaded and then overwrote my files manually?  Or would the installer try to force me to 4.7.4?  I’m aiming to get this done this week — but covering my bases just in case  

I had almost forgot about manual upgrades (which used to be the only way to upgrade)!

If you download the files manually now for 4.7.3 and upload the files when you're ready. You would be upgrading to 4.7.3. Just ensure you do not use the automatic upgrader in the ACP as that will only do the latest available.

2 minutes ago, Jim M said:

If you download the files manually now for 4.7.3 and upload the files when you're ready. You would be upgrading to 4.7.3. Just ensure you do not use the automatic upgrader in the ACP as that will only do the latest available.

Cool ok. So just go to admin/upgrade/update.php (I’ll need to verify url) directly once the files are overwritten?

17 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

just /admin/upgrade/ you would go to. You dont need to download now. You would just download once you are ready

But if I only have 7.4 installed I would prefer to upgrade to 4.7.3.  That way I can flip to PHP 8 and check for anything breaking on other parts of my site that aren’t managed by IPB. If there are issues I could flip back to 7.4 (in a minute).  If I upgrade to 4.7.4 I could not flip back, even temporarily. 

Once all is clear on all fronts we could proceed to 4.7.4.  

Edited by Fast Lane!