PHP8 will be the minimum version from November 2022

Matt

21 hours ago, Fast Lane! said:

But if I only have 7.4 installed I would prefer to upgrade to 4.7.3.  That way I can flip to PHP 8 and check for anything breaking on other parts of my site that aren’t managed by IPB. If there are issues I could flip back to 7.4 (in a minute).  If I upgrade to 4.7.4 I could not flip back, even temporarily. 

Once all is clear on all fronts we could proceed to 4.7.4.  

This is what I would've done. I was in a similar situation as you, but I got us upgraded from 4.5 to 4.7.3 last week. This week I'm in the process of upgrading our servers to PHP 8.1.

Then I might try to update to 4.7.4 sometime next week. 

So download 4.7.3 now from the client area and do a manual upgrade on PHP 7.4. Then update to PHP 8 and then update to 4.7.4++

I have a bog standard IP board running on a hostpapa server. Its been fine for years. Now when I try updating to Version 4.7.4 it says I don't have PHP 8 even though hostpapa assure me I do.

Where do I go from here all I get it the attached

You are running PHP version 7.4.32. You need PHP 8.0.0 or above. You should contact your hosting provider or system administrator to ask for an upgrade.

15 minutes ago, Barry Beckham said:

I have a bog standard IP board running on a hostpapa server. Its been fine for years. Now when I try updating to Version 4.7.4 it says I don't have PHP 8 even though hostpapa assure me I do.

Where do I go from here all I get it the attached

You are running PHP version 7.4.32. You need PHP 8.0.0 or above. You should contact your hosting provider or system administrator to ask for an upgrade.

Are you running PHP 8 in the same directory where your Invision Community installation is located?

I would suggest installing the requirements checker below and running it on your community to establish whether the directory is in fact running PHP 8 or not.

hello guys,

I am running a forum at 4.3.6 as it is on a custom theme and did not want to break it and fix it from start.

My host informed me on the php 8.0 update end of November, but when changing it  from 7.4 a blank screen comes up.

Do I need to update my site in order to be able to use php 8.0? 

6 minutes ago, Smaugtd said:

hello guys,

I am running a forum at 4.3.6 as it is on a custom theme and did not want to break it and fix it from start.

My host informed me on the php 8.0 update end of November, but when changing it  from 7.4 a blank screen comes up.

Do I need to update my site in order to be able to use php 8.0? 

We didnt provide PHP 8 support until further on in the software, and more 3rd partys are just updating now. So the latest version is what you would need

1 minute ago, Randy Calvert said:

As a suggestion… before upgrading… disable all third party resources and switch to a default theme. Once the upgrade is complete....

Go through the onboarding process for the Marketplace, which was introduced in v4.5.x, and link installed applications/plugins if you obtained them through the MP.

Then, update any that indicate that they have updates available so as to ensure that you are running the latest version of those. Then...

2 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

enable resources one at a time to make sure you don’t run into an issue from incompatible 3rd party resources.

• 2 weeks later...

Host Gator hasn't updated to PHP8 on my server yet. (They keep saying they are going to.)  I am waiting to install the latest update because of that. What if y'all have several updates before they finally update the server? Is that going to cause a problem? 

3 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

In the worst case scenario, you may need to manually update the software by downloading it from the client area and uploading it to your site (then visiting domain.com/admin/upgrade).

Don't go away. If there are several updates before they finally update the server, I might need step by step advice. LOL 

On 11/18/2022 at 6:59 AM, Randy Calvert said:

The community and staff are happy to help. 🙂 

So  I think I've talked the host into moving my site to a server with PHP8. Is this going to be a disaster? Would it be better to wait for them to update the server I am on? 

1 minute ago, Rapunzel said:

So  I think I've talked the host into moving my site to a server with PHP8. Is this going to be a disaster? Would it be better to wait for them to update the server I am on? 

I think it is a bit strange that you had to talk your host into moving you to a server that uses php8. Most hosts worth their salt have upgraded to php 8 for quite some time.

That being said, I don't see why the move is going to be a disaster. 

On 11/18/2022 at 10:41 PM, Rapunzel said:

Host Gator hasn't updated to PHP8 on my server yet. (They keep saying they are going to.)  I am waiting to install the latest update because of that. What if y'all have several updates before they finally update the server? Is that going to cause a problem? 

Ah, the infamous HostGator... 😅

Without getting into too much detail, have you looked at other hosting services (not owned by EIG) that can offer similar packages for similar pricing? Are you on their shared or dedicated hosting service?

Moving to a completely new server that has PHP 8 isn't entirely a negative thing, but you'd think they could install it on your existing server.

Happy to go into further detail about my experiences with HostGator via private message.

I have been trying for a while to upgrade my server to PHP 8.1.  Every time I enable it, I get the following errors:

Error: Call to undefined function create_function() (0)
#0 /var/www/<website>/forums/conf_global.php(338): IPB_Firewall::_calculateChecksums()
#1 /var/www/<website>/forums/conf_global.php(310): IPB_Firewall::_doSecurityChecks()
#2 /var/www/<website>/forums/conf_global.php(542): IPB_Firewall::run()
#3 /var/www/<website>/forums/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(69): require('...')
#4 /var/www/<website>/forums/admin/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher::i()
#5 {main}

I have no plugins installed.  I have attempted every purge to make sure no plugins are installed.  I switched to a default no-frills theme with no modifications.  Nothing helps.  This PHP 8.x requirement is killing me given your "vanilla" version of Invision is not working with it.

Please help.

8 minutes ago, Zaehlas said:

I have been trying for a while to upgrade my server to PHP 8.1.  Every time I enable it, I get the following errors:

#0 /var/www/<website>/forums/conf_global.php(338): IPB_Firewall::_calculateChecksums()
#1 /var/www/<website>/forums/conf_global.php(310): IPB_Firewall::_doSecurityChecks()
#3 /var/www/<website>/forums/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(69): require('...')
#5 {main}

I have no plugins installed.  I have attempted every purge to make sure no plugins are installed.  I switched to a default no-frills theme with no modifications.  Nothing helps.  This PHP 8.x requirement is killing me given your "vanilla" version of Invision is not working with it.

Please help.

You will want to check your conf_global.php file and remove every mention of IPB_Firewall. This not a product we make and is evidence your hosting was compromised quite some time ago. 

10 minutes ago, Zaehlas said:

#5 {main}

Please help.

This should help.