PHP8 will be the minimum version from November 2022

Matt

OK.  This has been moved from a previous hosting service and upgraded multiple times on my current host with no issues.  I did not realize IPB_Firewall was not part of the original Invision.  Removing.  Hopefully that's the only major issue.

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

You will want to check your conf_global.php file and remove every mention of IPB_Firewall. This not a product we make and is evidence your hosting was compromised quite some time ago. 

OK.  Removing all instances of that.  This doesn't appear to be a hosting compromise.  All these subroutines are commented with "Invision Power Board" comments and versions that are VERY old.  I believe this is before it was rebranded Invision Community, and somehow the code survived all the upgrades.

5 hours ago, Zaehlas said:

OK.  Removing all instances of that.  This doesn't appear to be a hosting compromise.  All these subroutines are commented with "Invision Power Board" comments and versions that are VERY old.  I believe this is before it was rebranded Invision Community, and somehow the code survived all the upgrades.

The person who wrote that simply added those comments to make it look real. That is a known compromise

Well, I got moved to a server with PHP 8. I was then able to update Invision. At first it wouldn't update because it said there were changes to some theme. I had no idea what it was about, but I was able to follow the directions to revert those mysterious changes. 

Hi. I'm in an in-between sticky situation where I waited too long to upgrade to 4.7.3 while still on php 7.4. 

My host isn't going to update to php 8 until the end of the year. 

Is there any chance to download a copy of 4.7.3 so that my community doesn't break when it goes to 8? 

Or am I stuck having to install 4.7.4 at the same time as they do 8?

Thank you!

IPS does not make old versions of the software available.  If you did not download it before 4.7.4 was available, you would need to wait until your host installs PHP8.  Also...  many hosting providers enable the ability to run multiple versions of PHP.  Check with them to see if they can allow you to choose which version of PHP you run on your site.  Once they install PHP8, you'll then be able to switch to it at your convenience.  

On 11/26/2022 at 6:39 PM, SLD Staff said:

Hi. I'm in an in-between sticky situation where I waited too long to upgrade to 4.7.3 while still on php 7.4. 

My host isn't going to update to php 8 until the end of the year. 

Is there any chance to download a copy of 4.7.3 so that my community doesn't break when it goes to 8? 

Or am I stuck having to install 4.7.4 at the same time as they do 8?

Thank you!

As mentioned already, we don't have older versions available. Looking at the version you are currently using, I would indeed advise on upgrading in any case. It would be worth asking if they will have both PHP versions available. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2022 at 10:35 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

As mentioned already, we don't have older versions available.

If i may, given you considerably accelerated the releases frequency, it may be useful for client to provode downloadable version of older version, and maybe to be able to select the target version on the uploader.

Currently, as soon you have a problem with a new version (plugin compatibility, server configuration), you can easily find yourself 2 or 3 versions late and struggle to make the upgrade.

12 minutes ago, jesuralem said:

Currently, as soon you have a problem with a new version (plugin compatibility, server configuration), you can easily find yourself 2 or 3 versions late and struggle to make the upgrade.

Im not sure what giving an older version would do to resolve that issue for you. What we would actually be providing is a version which has had bugs fixed since, and ensuring you have no support with the upgrade. As apposed to you upgrading to the latest release with the latest bug fixes, and that upgrade being supported by us should you have issues. 

• 1 month later...

Hello all!

My site is currently on Community v4.7.2.1 using PHP v7.4 with the hosting provider. After a bit of reading the thread above, it seems I should upgrade v4.7.3 first, then flip the switch to PHP8 (in Community and hosting provider), and then attempt to upgrade to v4.7.6.

I found the switch on the hosting provide side (for PHP versioning), but I cannot find a link to download Community v4.7.3.

Can someone provide me that link? Also, if you missed a couple of upgrades, is there a way to do incremental upgrades in the admin control panel?

2 hours ago, Kevin Weiss said:

...but I cannot find a link to download Community v4.7.3.

Can someone provide me that link?

In answer to your question:

There isn't one - you can only download the current available release.

My advice would be...

1. Put PHP 8.0.x in place now.
  2. Iron out any existing PHP related issues (theme/3rd party resource related)
  3. Upgrade to 4.7.6 (direct, there are no incrementals)
  4. Put PHP 8.1.x in place.

Hey Nathan,

Thanks for the quick reply!

After working with the hosting provider's technical support, we found out PHP extension nd_mysqli was enabled in PHP v7.4, but not in PHP v8.0 (by default). This appeared to be what kept me stuck on step #1 (of your advice).

So, after enabling that extension in 8.0, I was able view the ACP again. Next, I was able to upgrade to Community v4.7.6 via the ACP upgrade screens. Then, I upgraded to PHP 8.1, but was not allowed to enable nd_mysqli this time because a warning message stated "nd_mysqli skipped as conflicting."

However, the site and ACP appear to be working as expected, so I believe I'm good to go. Thanks all!

On 9/22/2022 at 9:01 AM, Dexter_X said:

HI, 

I've tried to set up the 8.0 or 8.1 PHP version but it only makes our community to display a blank screen. I've enabled all the available modules and nothing changes.
Could you please be more precise on what PHP modules are needed by our communities in PHP 8.X to work properly. And maybe someway to debug the community in order to know why we got a blank screen ?

Thankyou,

D

Blank screen can also be caused by needing your web server to have PHP session permissions. I'm on CentOS (Fedora, RHEL), and I needed to chown my sessions folder to show content:

chown -R nginx:nginx /var/lib/php/session

Edited by z929669

On 1/17/2023 at 3:36 PM, Kevin Weiss said:

After working with the hosting provider's technical support, we found out PHP extension nd_mysqli was enabled in PHP v7.4, but not in PHP v8.0 (by default). This appeared to be what kept me stuck on step #1 (of your advice).

As a hint on this one also, you need to ensure that you run the requirement checker any time that you change your php version, mysql instance, or of course your server. You can find our requirement checker here if you should need it at any point in the future.

https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/7046-invision-community-requirements-checker/

• 4 weeks later...