Newsletters

On 8/8/2022 at 6:20 PM, My Sharona said:

Hi @HeadStand, thank you for this wonderful plugin. Working on getting it set up.

I have read through the entire 28 pages of this thread and plan on reading through the previous thread at some point soon but a few items if you don't mind.

Utilizing the *|unsubscribe|* tag, within an email, I get directed to "No Permission" page with a url of, https://www.domain.tld/newsletters/unsubscribe/?key=setofnumbers. This is whether thorough an email or the 'web version'.

Now, If I click the 'Unsubscribe' link from the "Web Version", I am directed to a page that says "unsubscribed from 'title of Newsletter.'" I am taken to a url of,  https://www.domian.tld/newsletters/newsletter number and title/?do=unsubscribe However, it doesn't actually unsubscribe.

One more minor item with regard is that (and I'm not sure it makes any real difference other than non-uniformity), within an email, the *|unsubscribe|* displays as, "Unsubscribe." Whereas within the web version, it displays as, "Unsubscribe here." 

Again, for the *|member_name|*, there seems to be an issue between an email display and the "Web Version" display.  Where as the email displays the actual members name and the Web Version displays, "*|member_name|*." 

Second item here is spacing of different Content Types within the content area. While I certainly have not tested them all, I have come across a number of them that have this condition.

records2_1659981189 does not return a line return break before the first actual record is displayed, nor do the subsequent records. It is all a wall of images and texts with no line return breaks between listed content.

In my set up, the next Content Type would be, topic_1659981276 . There is no line break between this Content Type and the previous Content Type (last record snippet then Topic title). There is also no, I would think there should be a double line, return here(?). There is also no line return break after the "Topic" title and the listing of actual topics returned. However, this Content Type does have line return breaks between listed content. It also has a line return break before the next Content Type.

It goes something like this; the data limit for each is 5:

records Type Content Title
Article Title
Article Snippet
Article Title
Article Snippet
Article Title
Article Snippet
Article Title
Article Snippet
Article Title
Article Snippet
topic Type Content Title
Topic Title
Topic Snippet
<br>
Topic Title
Topic Snippet
<br>
Topic Title
Topic Snippet
<br>
Topic Title
Topic Snippet
<br>
Topic Title
Topic Snippet
<br>

If it could be displayed something  this, I think it would look much better.

records Type Content Title
<br>
Article Title
Article Snippet
<br>
Article Title
Article Snippet
<br>
Article Title
Article Snippet
<br>
Article Title
Article Snippet
<br>
Article Title
Article Snippet
<br>
<br>
topic Type Content Title
<br>
Topic Title
Topic Snippet
<br>
Topic Title
Topic Snippet
<br>
Topic Title
Topic Snippet
<br>
Topic Title
Topic Snippet
<br>
Topic Title
Topic Snippet
<br>
<br>

Of course, the above is only a suggestion, there may be a bit of different formatting that would be more appealing. If you could have a look at all the Content Types and make sure there is uniformity across all, that would be great.

It would seem that <h> html headers are not honored either. This would quite possibly make a difference in the display as well.

I hope the above is somewhat clearer than mud. TYIA for your consideration here.

I have been able to resolve all of the above except for the Web Version display of, "*|member_name|*." 

On 8/20/2022 at 11:06 AM, My Sharona said:

I have been able to resolve all of the above except for the Web Version display of, "*|member_name|*." 

A new version has been uploaded to the Marketplace and is pending approval.

I've fixed the above issue and also adjusted the default HTML formatting as you requested.

Regarding the "No permissions" issue with the unsubscribe link from the email - this only happens if you click a link from an email address that belongs to a different account. In other words, if you are logged in as one user (or not logged in at all) and you click the link from an email that belongs to a different user (e.g. a test account). Hope that makes sense.

21 hours ago, HeadStand said:

A new version has been uploaded to the Marketplace and is pending approval.

I've fixed the above issue and also adjusted the default HTML formatting as you requested.

Regarding the "No permissions" issue with the unsubscribe link from the email - this only happens if you click a link from an email address that belongs to a different account. In other words, if you are logged in as one user (or not logged in at all) and you click the link from an email that belongs to a different user (e.g. a test account). Hope that makes sense.

Thank you, much appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...
PHP8 Incompatible Customizations

We are currently in the process of migrating our platform from PHP7 to PHP8 in order to provide you with the greatest level of performance and security. We've identified one or more Applications or Plugins currently installed on your site which contain PHP8 incompatible hooks and/or subclasses. In PHP8, altering overloaded method signatures within a subclass results in a fatal error which can make a site completely inoperable. Also, our hook system relies on subclasses so this change applies to hooks as well. Therefore, this code must be either replaced with an updated version, removed, or disabled from your site as soon as possible.

If you are not sure what this means, you must contact the Author of any listed Application or Plugin for an updated version. If you cannot update to a PHP8 compatible version, the Application or Plugin will have to be disabled or removed.

Another issue I was thinking of reporting.

See attached screenshot. I had to manually disable this field "newsletter_forum" because it was crashing my application (I don't use forum feature). It would be nice if newsletter application is smart and take care of checking if forum application is enabled instead of just crashing

Could contain: Text, Page, Word, Document

15 hours ago, VarunAgw said:

Hi,

Just want to give you a quick heads up.

I did an update of invision community to v4.7.2.

Now newsletter application is locked and disabled by invision for containing "outdated code". I can't use it anymore. I guess it needs to be compatible with PHP 8 or something.

Hope the issue get resolved soon.

Same here. The application is incompatible with 4.7.2. Could you please fix the issue and upgrade it @HeadStand? Thanks

Hi @HeadStand,

Curiouser and curiouser...I double-checked the version of Newsletters I have installed; it's v2.4.6 on both my test site and production site.

Thing is: while it's flagged for the above errors by my production site, for some strange reason it's free and clear according to my test site (which is running the same versions of IPB and PHP as my production site).

I'll post this in the Support forum as well, but just thought you might like to know.

I also don't see any errors, BUT I know now why:)

Jimmy Fallon Drums GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

There's a hook for a file which isn't present in IPS anymore. Sparkpost was deprecated a while ago, but it's possible that old installations have the file still on the system..

Could contain: Text

Can you confirm that you have the IPS\Email\Outgoing\SendGrid.php file on your system?

19 hours ago, Daniel F said:

There's a hook for a file which isn't present in IPS anymore. Sparkpost was deprecated a while ago, but it's possible that old installations have the file still on the system..

OR..... that it was done to be compatible with another one of my custom apps, which is Sparkpost integration. 😉 

I'd argue that this should be allowed, since we very often have to integrate with other 3rd party apps.

19 hours ago, HeadStand said:

OR..... that it was done to be compatible with another one of my custom apps, which is Sparkpost integration. 😉 

I'd argue that this should be allowed, since we very often have to integrate with other 3rd party apps.

I'm confused, that doesn't make any sense since it's a hook on IPS\Email\Outgoing\Sparkpost which doesn't exist on current installations.

2 hours ago, Daniel F said:

I'm confused, that doesn't make any sense since it's a hook on IPS\Email\Outgoing\Sparkpost which doesn't exist on current installations.

I've removed the offending file completely and submitted a new version to the marketplace.

That said, the original point still stands. If a hook is extending a non-existent file, it still should not be flagged.

It doesn't seem to be this app, I think its another one. Got my site back after disabling apps and putting into recovery mode and then renaming the app folder, which was the AWSSES app. Interesting that updating this one, triggered an issue. php-fpm: pool  was going through the roof, endless loop. 

Hi,

We got a question regarding sending the plain version of a Newsletter.  We can’t get it to send and we don’t know where to look, and if we have may be configured something incorrectly.

We have a newsletter with an HTML template. And also a plain version. See this screen below. When we Preview Plain and Test Distribution Plain, it is correct. But when we do a Publish Newsletter, only the HTML template is send. 

Could contain: Page, Text, Document, File

We noticed that in the 

newsletters_queue

Table we get the following rows:

Could contain: Text, Number, Symbol, Paper, Label

Which to us maybe indicates that we got something configured incorrectly, we aren't sure however and we can't find anything. Because the Plain version is not send.

Hopefully somebody can help us with this problem.