Newsletters

Allows the Administrator to create, edit and manage custom newsletters and their content. Forms of content such as Latest Topics or Latest Blog Entries can automatically be distributed without the Administrator having to do more than set-up the newsletter and let it run.

Features

• Administrator can create custom titles and content for newsletters to be distributed
  • Administrator can set automatic intervals for newsletter distribution (Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Anually), or a manual customized distribution date.
  • Allows Administrator to set which groups of people will receive newsletter (Members, Administrators, Moderators, etc.)
  • Allows Administrator to create multiple pending issues of newsletter
  • Administrator has ability to view all back issues of newsletter
  • Allows for multiple content types based on the IPS components installed in the current environment
  • Newsletters can be distributed in plain-text or HTML format
  • Members can subscribe/unscribe to any available newsletters at any time
  • Members can decide which format (plain-text or HTML) they would like to receive
  • Administrators can customize the HTML layout and CSS for each Newsletter
  • Web view of all newsletter issues
  • Customizable content for each block for each newsletter

Note: This is an update of the previous [HSC] Newsletters mod for IPB 3.x. If you have data from the previous version, it will be imported to the new application.

Just bought, great timing too as I got fed up of waiting for an update to the other one I was using.

I just tried to create a test newsletter and so far have only added recent gallery image as content. When I test, I get this error:

SELECT * FROM `gallery_images` WHERE approved=1 AND date>= 1480900254 ORDER BY date desc LIMIT 0,5
IPS\Db\Exception: Unknown column 'approved' in 'where clause' (1054)
#0 /var/www/html/forum/system/Db/Select.php(346): IPS\_Db->preparedQuery('/*IteratorItera...', Array)
#1 /var/www/html/forum/system/Db/Select.php(408): IPS\Db\_Select->runQuery()
#2 [internal function]: IPS\Db\_Select->rewind()
#3 [internal function]: IteratorIterator->rewind()
#4 /var/www/html/forum/applications/newsletters/extensions/newsletters/NewsletterContent/Core.php(305): iterator_to_array(Object(IPS\Patterns\ActiveRecordIterator))
#5 /var/www/html/forum/applications/newsletters/sources/Newsletter/Content.php(245): IPS\newsletters\extensions\newsletters\NewsletterContent\_Core->getData(Array)
#6 /var/www/html/forum/applications/newsletters/sources/Newsletter/Newsletter.php(437): IPS\newsletters\Newsletter\_Content->build('html', Array)
#7 /var/www/html/forum/applications/newsletters/modules/admin/newsletters/newsletters.php(324): IPS\newsletters\_Newsletter->buildContent('html')
#8 [internal function]: IPS\newsletters\modules\admin\newsletters\_newsletters->preview()
#9 /var/www/html/forum/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php(85): call_user_func(Array)
#10 /var/www/html/forum/applications/newsletters/modules/admin/newsletters/newsletters.php(27): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#11 /var/www/html/forum/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(129): IPS\newsletters\modules\admin\newsletters\_newsletters->execute()
#12 /var/www/html/forum/admin/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#13 {main}

and another when trying to add an article:

Error: Access to undeclared static property: IPS\nexus\Package\Review::$commentClass (0)
#0 /var/www/html/forum/applications/newsletters/sources/Newsletter/Content.php(150): IPS\newsletters\extensions\newsletters\NewsletterContent\_Core->formElements(Object(IPS\Helpers\Form), Array)
#1 /var/www/html/forum/applications/newsletters/modules/admin/newsletters/content.php(205): IPS\newsletters\Newsletter\_Content->formElements(Object(IPS\Helpers\Form))
#2 [internal function]: IPS\newsletters\modules\admin\newsletters\_content->edit()
#3 /var/www/html/forum/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php(85): call_user_func(Array)
#4 /var/www/html/forum/applications/newsletters/modules/admin/newsletters/content.php(25): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#5 /var/www/html/forum/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(129): IPS\newsletters\modules\admin\newsletters\_content->execute()
#6 /var/www/html/forum/admin/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#7 {main}

Edited by NoGi

I have the following values in the footer:

*|date|* 

*|weblink|*

*|unsubscribe|*

None of them are passing the values through, they appear as the shortcode on the preview and email generated. Have you got a bug/enhancement request tracker or should I keep adding to here?

Sorry, I tend to be pretty good at finding bugs lol

Feature request:

• Support for prefix filtering - I use adv tags & prefix and apply a prefix to some topics. Would love to be able to filter these as well
  • Include custom template examples - I also use supergrid and would love to have a similar format on my newsletter but no idea where to start
1 hour ago, NoGi said:

Just bought, great timing too as I got fed up of waiting for an update to the other one I was using.

I just tried to create a test newsletter and so far have only added recent gallery image as content. When I test, I get this error:

SELECT * FROM `gallery_images` WHERE approved=1 AND date>= 1480900254 ORDER BY date desc LIMIT 0,5
IPS\Db\Exception: Unknown column 'approved' in 'where clause' (1054)
#0 /var/www/html/forum/system/Db/Select.php(346): IPS\_Db->preparedQuery('/*IteratorItera...', Array)
#1 /var/www/html/forum/system/Db/Select.php(408): IPS\Db\_Select->runQuery()
#2 [internal function]: IPS\Db\_Select->rewind()
#3 [internal function]: IteratorIterator->rewind()
#4 /var/www/html/forum/applications/newsletters/extensions/newsletters/NewsletterContent/Core.php(305): iterator_to_array(Object(IPS\Patterns\ActiveRecordIterator))
#5 /var/www/html/forum/applications/newsletters/sources/Newsletter/Content.php(245): IPS\newsletters\extensions\newsletters\NewsletterContent\_Core->getData(Array)
#6 /var/www/html/forum/applications/newsletters/sources/Newsletter/Newsletter.php(437): IPS\newsletters\Newsletter\_Content->build('html', Array)
#7 /var/www/html/forum/applications/newsletters/modules/admin/newsletters/newsletters.php(324): IPS\newsletters\_Newsletter->buildContent('html')
#8 [internal function]: IPS\newsletters\modules\admin\newsletters\_newsletters->preview()
#9 /var/www/html/forum/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php(85): call_user_func(Array)
#10 /var/www/html/forum/applications/newsletters/modules/admin/newsletters/newsletters.php(27): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#11 /var/www/html/forum/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(129): IPS\newsletters\modules\admin\newsletters\_newsletters->execute()
#12 /var/www/html/forum/admin/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#13 {main}

and another when trying to add an article:

Error: Access to undeclared static property: IPS\nexus\Package\Review::$commentClass (0)
#0 /var/www/html/forum/applications/newsletters/sources/Newsletter/Content.php(150): IPS\newsletters\extensions\newsletters\NewsletterContent\_Core->formElements(Object(IPS\Helpers\Form), Array)
#1 /var/www/html/forum/applications/newsletters/modules/admin/newsletters/content.php(205): IPS\newsletters\Newsletter\_Content->formElements(Object(IPS\Helpers\Form))
#2 [internal function]: IPS\newsletters\modules\admin\newsletters\_content->edit()
#3 /var/www/html/forum/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php(85): call_user_func(Array)
#4 /var/www/html/forum/applications/newsletters/modules/admin/newsletters/content.php(25): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#5 /var/www/html/forum/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(129): IPS\newsletters\modules\admin\newsletters\_content->execute()
#6 /var/www/html/forum/admin/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#7 {main}

I will look into both of these, thank you!

42 minutes ago, NoGi said:

I have the following values in the footer:

*|date|* 

*|weblink|*

*|unsubscribe|*

None of them are passing the values through, they appear as the shortcode on the preview and email generated. 

Those particular values will only show up when the newsletter is actually published. They won't work in a test distribution (or a preview). That's because they are related directly to the issue, but issues aren't generated until a publish. (I hope this makes sense, let me know if I need to clarify further.)

43 minutes ago, NoGi said:

Have you got a bug/enhancement request tracker or should I keep adding to here?

Here is fine, thanks.

43 minutes ago, NoGi said:

Include custom template examples - I also use supergrid and would love to have a similar format on my newsletter but no idea where to start

I'm afraid I'm horrific at that. :) But perhaps one of my customers of the previous version can share a template... you can try posting in the old support topic - https://invisionpower.com/forums/topic/351114-newsletters/

4 hours ago, HeadStand said:

I've just pushed a new version to the Marketplace. It contains fixes for both issues.

Yup, works now. With Gallery image, I would prefer to see the image rather than text. I'll have a crack at using a custom template but where do I find out what elements are contained in the $item array?

17 hours ago, NoGi said:

Yup, works now. With Gallery image, I would prefer to see the image rather than text. I'll have a crack at using a custom template but where do I find out what elements are contained in the $item array?

It's not an array, it's an object. The elements will differ depending on the object you're working with. I would suggest looking at some of the templates in the gallery application - the object you're working with would be an image.

1 hour ago, NoGi said:

Another one I just discovered, my custom html for articles is overriding my custom html for gallery.

Are there any other content blocks in your newsletter, or is it just those 2?

Which of those is first - gallery or articles?

7 hours ago, HeadStand said:

Which of those is first - gallery or articles?

Ok so it doesn't matter how many blocks I use. If they are set to use custom HTML, the first block is overriding them all.

48 minutes ago, Jimmy Gavekort said:

Just got this. The email preview, is this how it really looks? 

It's the basic content, you need to now apply a custom HTML to it so that it matches your site. I'm trying to learn this now. A bit of a pain but actually pretty powerful once I can figure it out.

22 minutes ago, NoGi said:

Ok so it doesn't matter how many blocks I use. If they are set to use custom HTML, the first block is overriding them all.

It's the basic content, you need to now apply a custom HTML to it so that it matches your site. I'm trying to learn this now. A bit of a pain but actually pretty powerful once I can figure it out.

was hoping there would be some .. i bought a similar news letter service for not even half the price and it had a nice layout, just didnt work xD

1 hour ago, Jimmy Gavekort said:

Just got this. The email preview, is this how it really looks? 

sf1WZ30.png

Looks really bad, was expecting better D:

Anyone got any templates I could use, that matches the IPS emails..? :( 

That's actually a bug. If you're not using a custom wrapper, it's supposed to use the default. I'll add it to my list. Thanks! 

Just an FYI - I probably will not have a chance to fix these issues today, but will work on them tomorrow. 

45 minutes ago, HeadStand said:

That's actually a bug. If you're not using a custom wrapper, it's supposed to use the default. I'll add it to my list. Thanks! 

Just an FYI - I probably will not have a chance to fix these issues today, but will work on them tomorrow. 

this is how it looked in the email, still buggy? i hope :)

BslmgIa.png

18 hours ago, NoGi said:

I am unable to reproduce this issue. 

I'm about to push a new version to the MP, so please re-test with the latest. Maybe some of the other fixes I made have corrected this. Please confirm if this is still a problem.

A new version has been pushed to the Marketplace. Changes include:

• Dates were not parsed properly on distribution. Fixed.
  • Topic format setting was not honored when posting to the forums. Fixed.
  • When sending a newsletter with no custom template, the IPS email wrapper is now used.
  • Truncation setting was not honored on HTML distribution. Fixed.

Note: I forgot to put the last item in the release notes, but it is fixed in this version.

34 minutes ago, HeadStand said:

I am unable to reproduce this issue. 

I'm about to push a new version to the MP, so please re-test with the latest. Maybe some of the other fixes I made have corrected this. Please confirm if this is still a problem.

A new version has been pushed to the Marketplace. Changes include:

• Dates were not parsed properly on distribution. Fixed.
  • Topic format setting was not honored when posting to the forums. Fixed.
  • When sending a newsletter with no custom template, the IPS email wrapper is now used.
  • Truncation setting was not honored on HTML distribution. Fixed.

Note: I forgot to put the last item in the release notes, but it is fixed in this version.

I updated it, but it looks the same. Maybe I have to reinstall?

mDMfnnh.png