Newsletters

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to create "Newsletter Types/Categories" ( I mean, can I allow members to subscribe only to newsletters they're interested in and then to set the newsletter type when creating one in the ACP??)

Do you have any plans to allow guests to subscribe to newsletters without creating an account?

23 hours ago, Daniel F said:

Is there a way to create "Newsletter Types/Categories" ( I mean, can I allow members to subscribe only to newsletters they're interested in and then to set the newsletter type when creating one in the ACP??)

Do you have any plans to allow guests to subscribe to newsletters without creating an account?

Members can opt in to newsletters in their Account Settings.  I don't know about non-members, but I think not.

Could contain: File, Text, Menu, Webpage

• 3 weeks later...

There's some weird loop in your queue which 

a) results in following error log: 

Could contain: Page, Text, Plot, Chart

and b) actually much more worrying:

It somehow ends in a loop re-adding the same people over and over again to the list, which actually resulted in an attempt to send 200 000 emails in the last few minutes.

Could contain: Chart

Client has version 2.4.6.2 installed

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2022 at 11:24 AM, Daniel F said:

It somehow ends in a loop re-adding the same people over and over again to the list, which actually resulted in an attempt to send 200 000 emails in the last few minutes.

Bump.  Any resolution on this issue?  I’ve had to disable Newsletters until it is resolved and tested.

On 11/4/2022 at 11:24 AM, Daniel F said:

I am running v2.4.6.2 and I am not seeing any of these errors in my email error logs. I do have errors but it is for, what I am assuming is, an individual who's email address is not valid.

Might there be a conflict somewhere with another app?

Edited by My Sharona
1 hour ago, Scotty Hutto said:

No other 3rd party apps are running on the site, so if there’s a conflict, it’s with the core of Invision Community v4.7.4.

I don't know then. What I do know is, I am not having your experience, it seems to be running just fine here.

Are any of the apps templates altered?

23 minutes ago, HeadStand said:

What are you using for sending email?

The Invision cloud servers.  

I deleted the app, reinstalled it, and recreated everything using the default templates. I’m going to let it run tonight and see if I still have the issue. 

Edited by Scotty Hutto
13 hours ago, Scotty Hutto said:

The Invision cloud servers.  

I deleted the app, reinstalled it, and recreated everything using the default templates. I’m going to let it run tonight and see if I still have the issue. 

OK. Feel free to PM me directly if you still have issues. As you can see I don't always get the notifications for these threads.

On 10/4/2022 at 4:37 PM, Thomas Hop said:

We noticed that in the 

newsletters_queue

Table we get the following rows:

Could contain: Text, Number, Symbol, Paper, Label

Which to us maybe indicates that we got something configured incorrectly, we aren't sure however and we can't find anything. Because the Plain version is not send.

Hopefully somebody can help us with this problem. 

The table is for log information about sending newsletters to ur users. 

The issue_id is for Back issue tab in Newsletter and its like the list of users to send newsletter. 

If sent_date is NULL it can be error or its still sending newsletter to other one users. 

Also check admin/?app=newsletters&module=newsletters&controller=newsletters&do=history&id=9

If u have problems with ur newsletter to send just check templates and names of it in. 

*|manual_16232324|* and other stuff. 

Also check if u mark down good toggled switch to manual content and for plain text / html. 

I always use manual send distribution time and had problem many times because of wrong checkbox toggle. 

Greetings

Edited by wegorz23

@HeadStand

I also have question for author of that module.

Is there any chance for background process to generate that list of subscribers when clicking Publish button ? 

The problem is that it can take some time to execute and insert like 90 000 of newsletter subscribers from my forum and page can Timeout some time so the process can stop executing. I had that problem many time and the only one solution is to set php parameter execution time to 0 and other php parameter stuff. But i dont want to let script work unlimited time.

The function called publish() in sources/Newsletter and foreach that generate subscriber Emails then it insert it to newsletter_queue so it can take some time like 5-10 minutes. 

Is there any chance to create it like for \IPS\Task::queue() ? 

Greetings

Edited by wegorz23
8 hours ago, Scotty Hutto said:

It seems to have been working normally since doing this, so obviously it was something I did… 🤣

Glad to hear that you have it working. On that note...

On 11/16/2022 at 10:30 AM, Scotty Hutto said:

Yes, just colors tho…

I have altered my templates within the app to change certain colors so it can be done and still work. I am pretty much a noob when it comes to code but by reading through this thread and the previous incarnation, I was able to customize the templates to where they are customized to my liking.

Hope you are able to get it worked out. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2022 at 1:20 PM, AlexWebsites said:

I had a task hung up on newsletter distribution myself...

Could contain: Page, Text

However, I'm using the mailbouncer app and that is what was causing the hangup. as soon as I disabled that, it completed.

On 11/30/2022 at 7:04 AM, AlexWebsites said:

Quick question, a user posted a pdf via google drive url in a topic and it added it as an attachment to my newsletter preview email. Is this by design?

@HeadStand any insight to these two posts of mine from November?

On 11/30/2022 at 11:56 PM, Scotty Hutto said:

It seems to have been working normally since doing this, so obviously it was something I did… 🤣

Oh well, the issue has resurfaced @HeadStand

I’m getting 2,500 - 3,000 email errors each time Newsletters tries to run. The process hangs up like @AlexWebsites issue above.  Also, my email error log has gotten over 30GB, causing other problems with the site. I’ve had to disable Newsletters until I can resolve the problem, and nw my members aren’t happy.  They like their Newsletters!

Running Invision Community 4.7.5, and using Invision Community in the Cloud to send emails. Newsletters v2.4.6.2 (Note: the badge now says “Custom” instead of “Marketplace” could that be related to my problem?

I thought of moving email distribution over to AWS SES, but I’m not a developer so the initial learning curve is steep. I’m working on it but want to be sure of what I’m doing before I make the change. 

1 minute ago, Scotty Hutto said:

I’m getting 2,500 - 3,000 email errors each time Newsletters tries to run. The process hangs up like @AlexWebsites issue above.  Also, my email error log has gotten over 30GB, causing other problems with the site. I’ve had to disable Newsletters until I can resolve the problem, and nw my members aren’t happy.  They like their Newsletters!

Running Invision Community 4.7.5, and using Invision Community in the Cloud to send emails. Newsletters v2.4.6.2 (Note: the badge now says “Custom” instead of “Marketplace” could that be related to my problem?

I thought of moving email distribution over to AWS SES, but I’m not a developer so the initial learning curve is steep. I’m working on it but want to be sure of what I’m doing before I make the change. 

Are you using the mail bouncer app? I had to disable that for newsletters to send.

6 minutes ago, AlexWebsites said:

Are you using the mail bouncer app? I had to disable that for newsletters to send.

No.  Not familiar with it. Should I be?😁

Edit: looked it up… I’m not (yet) using a 3rd party mail app, but well on my way to setting up AWS SES. 

Edited by Scotty Hutto
10 minutes ago, Scotty Hutto said:

Additional info: The only other marketplace app I’m running is Email Address Confirmation. No custom (non-marketplace) apps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2022 at 11:25 AM, Scotty Hutto said:

No.  Not familiar with it. Should I be?😁

Edit: looked it up… I’m not (yet) using a 3rd party mail app, but well on my way to setting up AWS SES. 

Closure.  Switched to AWS SES with the AWS Simple Email Service with Bounce Management app and all is working splendidly.