Newsletters

6 hours ago, HeadStand said:

In what way is it not working? 

No emails being sent, but turns out the server had locked up because of large email error logs (>8GB) created when Newsletters used Invision Community in the Cloud to send yesterday’s Newsletter. That happened when I upgraded to 4.7.6 and it shut off my AWS SES email delivery. 

Invision Tech Support killed the Newsletters Task and deleted the email error log. Then I had to reset AWS SES, and Newsletters is working.

I still don’t understand why it creates those huge error logs when using Invision C in the C to deliver emails. 

Something else I had a question about…. Newsletters shows up as a “Custom” app rather than a “Marketplace” app. Is that normal?

Could contain: Text

Edited by Scotty Hutto
7 hours ago, Scotty Hutto said:

No emails being sent, but turns out the server had locked up because of large email error logs (>8GB) created when Newsletters used Invision Community in the Cloud to send yesterday’s Newsletter. That happened when I upgraded to 4.7.6 and it shut off my AWS SES email delivery. 

Invision Tech Support killed the Newsletters Task and deleted the email error log. Then I had to reset AWS SES, and Newsletters is working.

I still don’t understand why it creates those huge error logs when using Invision C in the C to deliver emails. 

Something else I had a question about…. Newsletters shows up as a “Custom” app rather than a “Marketplace” app. Is that normal?

Could contain: Text

Scratch that.  It’s still not working.  

A new version has been pushed to the Marketplace and is pending approval. Changes include:

• Allow Admins to view a list of users who have unsubscribed from the Newsletter (ACP -> Newsletters -> Subscribers -> Unsubscribed Members )
  • Allow Admins to export a list of users subscribed to a newsletter
  • Multiple improvements to distribution tracking to prevent loops and users receiving multiple instances of the newsletter
  • Moved population of the distribution list to a background task to prevent timeouts on large sites
On 1/20/2023 at 8:03 AM, Scotty Hutto said:

Scratch that.  It’s still not working.  

Removed and reinstalled yesterday.  All seems to be working, and my newsletters went out on schedule this morning.  When I reinstalled it changed the app badge from “Custom” back to “Marketplace”. Makes me wonder if somehow it got corrupted in the previous installation, and that’s what caused the issues…

After the upgrade last week, I’m getting a “Newsletter Failed Distribution” email each morning when the task runs with the following error message:

Hi Scotty Hutto, 
This message is to notify you that Monacoers' Daily Newsletter has failed distribution with the following error: 

Newsletter has no subscribers”

Yet when I Publish manually, the Newsletter goes out as intended   

advice?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, @HeadStand, I hope you're doing well.

Something bizarre happened to my IPS install, and the Newsletters app got completely uninstalled, so I'm having to redo everything from scratch. :(

I'm going back through the manual now, and looking at the settings, and I just realized I'm not sure what a "cycle" is.

If I have X Emails per Cycle, but X+n members signed up to get a specific newsletter every 24 hours, does that mean that it won't send out an email to all X+n members?

Or, does the system send an "email" to multiple recipients, so that if, e.g., it sent one email to 5 members, and is set to send 150 emails per cycle, it could send 750 total messages (150*5=750)?

I'm using the built-in SMTP to distribute the Newsletter.

Thanks!

21 hours ago, John T Davis said:

Hello, @HeadStand, I hope you're doing well.

Something bizarre happened to my IPS install, and the Newsletters app got completely uninstalled, so I'm having to redo everything from scratch. 😞

I'm going back through the manual now, and looking at the settings, and I just realized I'm not sure what a "cycle" is.

If I have X Emails per Cycle, but X+n members signed up to get a specific newsletter every 24 hours, does that mean that it won't send out an email to all X+n members?

Or, does the system send an "email" to multiple recipients, so that if, e.g., it sent one email to 5 members, and is set to send 150 emails per cycle, it could send 750 total messages (150*5=750)?

I'm using the built-in SMTP to distribute the Newsletter.

Thanks!

Cycle here is more of a batch size. You can probably leave this as the default. It's how many emails get sent at a time. This is because some mail servers will scream at you if you try to send out 1,000 emails in a short period of time. Breaking it down into batches with a delay helps. So instead of sending 1,000 emails in the space of 2 minutes, for example, it will send 100 emails, wait 10 minutes, then send another 100, wait 10 minutes, etc.

Hope that clears things up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I duplicated the newsletter and its still not sending. I ran the publish task manually and checked email logs, nothing. Looking in the database and the queue is filled with multiple. I've got 151K rows which is multiple sends. 

Could contain: File, Page, Text, Webpage

I shut off all apps and plugins to test but still not sending. Very odd. Was working up until 4.7.9 update

Didn't work. I deleted the app and reinstalled. Set it all up again but nothing sent. It does send the newsletter reminder without issue. 

System error logs:

Could contain: Page, Text, Chart, Plot

Queue is empty

Could contain: Page, Text, File, Webpage

@HeadStand any ideas where to look next? I shut off all apps and plugins. 

Running: 

Could contain: Page, Text, Paper

Try to manually publish and get error:

Could contain: Page, Text

Its as if the distribution list is not building/distributing.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Page, Text

Edited by AlexWebsites
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...