Support for Amazon AWS SES

Chris027

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2018 at 7:12 AM, Chris027 said:

I used Sendgrid based on the recommendation of the IPS staff and because support is built into IPS. Unfortunately the price of Sendgrid is 10x that of Amazon's SES simple email service. 

I just switched over to Amazon SES and am stuck using the SMTP route rather than via the API because there isn't native support via IPS like there is for Sendgrid. 

I'd like to ask for or vote for IPS adding support for Amazon SES, just like it supports Sendgrid.

For Now , I am using:

and works perfectly!

7 hours ago, sobrenome said:

Could it be implemented on 4.5?

I reached out to IPS support but they would not say if its planned for a future release. I also reached out to @HeadStand but she's pretty busy right now. @Callum MacGregor has a plugin for sparkpost also. Would be nice to know if IPS is going to include something, if not...I would then outsource it. I prefer not to outsource if something native is coming. 

• 4 months later...

60K Emails/Month on SendGrid $359.40 annually
60K Emails/Month on SES $72 annually

@Charles @Lindy there's a business case here for you to get it done 🙂 
 Undoubtedly a percentage of those savings for smaller communities on a tighter budget would lead to more plugins and community enhancement purchases. 

So come on, which one of you is mates or shares a yacht with someone at SendGrid that you chose it over SES? 🤣

We don't have any agreement with Sendgrid. It has simply been implemented for a longer period of time.

There is interest in SES integration (although you can already use SES via SMTP presently anyways). I think the main catch is that they have stricter requirements for handling bounces which would necessitate new functionality being built in, not just slapping in another email gateway and calling it a day. That said, we're monitoring feedback/support for topics requesting SES integration.

I use Amazon SES via smtp and the delay in replying to topics is what is frustrating. Would rather use their API. So bounces I handle with mail bouncer and if IPS had a default sending method to use the SES API, it would be on us to manage those bounces and our account with Amazon. Same with sendgrid, sparkpost (when it was available). I would say just incorporate the API sending method as an option, which would be very helpful. 

I have a topic going here: 

Edited by AlexWebsites

• 2 weeks later...

On 8/19/2020 at 11:14 PM, bfarber said:

We don't have any agreement with Sendgrid. It has simply been implemented for a longer period of time.

SES has been around sine 2011 😉 

On 8/19/2020 at 11:14 PM, bfarber said:

That said, we're monitoring feedback/support for topics requesting SES integration.

Here's the snafu with SendGrid that I've encountered.  When trying to move an existing community to SendGrid there's a 100/day initially then 40,000/month email limit, that's not a lot of emails and SendGrid won't allow immediate upgrading of the account and in some cases make you wait the full month out.  Once you hit that limit you can forget about emails going out to existing members, and new members can't signup.  For people converting to IPS with existing large communities this can put a real dent in continuity.

12 minutes ago, jaeitee said:

Once you hit that limit you can forget about emails going out to existing members, and new members can't signup.

Exceeding sendgrid's limits are what made us default all email to off and have members opt in again explicitly following our move to IPS.

We would hit the monthly limit halfway through the month and then no emails until the first.