Support for Amazon AWS SES

Chris027

34 minutes ago, Jon Erickson said:

I've developed an integration application that will allow your IPB community to send emails via the AWS SES API. I will release it to the marketplace however looking for some folks to test it. Please send me a PM if interested.

Sites could readily come to rely heavily on your application working long term. How likely will your solution not require updating to continue working as IPS releases new updates in the coming year(s).  If it ends up needing updates how likely will it be that you can readily figure out how to update your app to continue being compatible.  If you bow out of the marketplace who will take over maintaining the app?  We have had a fair share of apps being neglected or abandoned for various reasons (such as death of a developer) to place to much reliance on marketplace developers. If you can address those concerns you will garner my support and business.

@Chris Anderson, all valid questions. The application is extremely light weight. At this point, we are only overriding 2 functions to introduce the functionality. Having said that, as IPB changes and updates are made, this makes it extremely easy to update alongside IPB. IPB devs has already done the leg work in developing the application to be easily extended. This is how they have already integrated Sendgrid, SMTP, PHPMailer etc. These are all extensions of their base Email class. To be honest, I am surprised they have not included many other email service options as it was very easy to build in this functionality.

Second, this application is built on AWS's open source PHP SDK which is heavily supported and has a very large audience. 

Third, we have a fairly large audience in the applications we've developed with over 1000 clients having used our services. 

Lastly, and in all reality, I wouldn't be too worried. I am confident IPB will introduce this functionality natively in the future as they already work with S3. All it takes is for a community to rely heavily on a third party application for them to introduce it into their core application. Thanks for the questions!

Just now, SC36DC said:

This is great news. Is it as easy as setting up Sendgrid?

It runs in its own application and overrides any mail setting you have currently (even though they may still be selected under sending method) If you know how to set up your Amazon API credentials and SES sending domain and such, the app takes the API and region settings and just works. The hardest part for some will be setting it up correctly on the Amazon side if they are not familiar, whereas Sendgrid, Sparkpost, etc., all just give you your API credentials within their respective panels. 

18 minutes ago, AlexWebsites said:

It runs in its own application and overrides any mail setting you have currently (even though they may still be selected under sending method) If you know how to set up your Amazon API credentials and SES sending domain and such, the app takes the API and region settings and just works. The hardest part for some will be setting it up correctly on the Amazon side if they are not familiar, whereas Sendgrid, Sparkpost, etc., all just give you your API credentials within their respective panels. 

Great. I only recently signed up and set up SES the other day, and am now using it on my Wordpress website. So I guess I just need to do it again for the forum? Would you know anything about that? I'm currently using it on my site for all WooCommerce transactional emails.

10 minutes ago, AlexWebsites said:

If wordpress is on the same domain, you should be fine but otherwise you'll need to set up your sending domain again. You are using SES via API on wordpress and woocommerce, not SMTP right?

My forum is on the same domain as my site. I am using the WP Offload SES Lite plugin on my site to connect to SES, it was very easy to set up.

17 minutes ago, SC36DC said:

Incredible. Now just need this plugin to come out!! 2020 or 2021 release?

I just sent @AlexWebsites an updated version with some updates he suggested. I will submit it for review tomorrow and it will be up to @Daniel F and the team to review and release it.

Edited by Jon Erickson

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Jon Erickson said:

Good news! Application has been released!

Interested and looking at this as a possible purchase

Though currently using the Simplemail Aws service via invision SMTP delivery

Could you let me know the benefits of using your app over that method

thanks

19 hours ago, sound said:

Interested and looking at this as a possible purchase

Though currently using the Simplemail Aws service via invision SMTP delivery

Could you let me know the benefits of using your app over that method

thanks

I think most of the posts in this topic have covered it. Utilizing the API over SMTP is significantly faster. If your community is sending many emails a day, this will help speed up your site. 

Edited by Jon Erickson

In most cases, a configuration set will not be needed. It allows you to add a set of defined rules from AWS to your emails that get specified in the email header. These are things that are invisible to the average user. For example, you can have AWS track metrics on your emails sent and then have the metrics published to another AWS service. This is advanced usage case but possible with configuration sets. 

Edited by Jon Erickson