open_basedir not enabled beta 4

I just upgraded from 4.3 beta 3 to beta 4 and am now getting this message on my admin dashboard. Anybody know what this is or why I did not see this message in beta 3 but am now seeing it in beta 4? I do not have shared hosting.

open_basedir not enabled
The open_basedir PHP configuration option is not enabled, which may be a security risk on shared hosting environments. We recommend setting it to your webroot and temporary directory. If you do not manage your server yourself, your hosting provider will be able to assist with this.

11 hours ago, Josiah Wallingford said:

I just upgraded from 4.3 beta 3 to beta 4 and am now getting this message on my admin dashboard. Anybody know what this is or why I did not see this message in beta 3 but am now seeing it in beta 4? I do not have shared hosting.

There was a bug in Beta 3 where the message wouldn't be displayed, that was fixed in beta 4. It is a recommended security change.

My host confirmed that open_basedir is enable.
Nonetheless, I added to that in php ini:

open_basedir = "/home/:/tmp"

This did not remove a message.
I added the same to in the admin folder php ini file and then a message has already been removed.
Strange ...

Although folks may indeed have added the appropriate open_basedir settings for their environment to their php.ini it is possible that their server is still working off of the old values.  You may have to initiate some kind of action to get your server to reload the updated php.ini file in order for the warning message to disappear.  I changed my php.ini file and my ACP still showed the warning message.  I stepped away for several hours and looked again and the warning message was gone.  My particular server seems to restart the web server periodically throughout the day and by doing so it used the new settings.   Your service provider should be able to readily steer you down the right path to get this new security setting enabled.

9 hours ago, jcdesign said:

I am at VPS WHM / cPanel server and this warning is ridiculous. 

Ditto.  I got it working, but it is definitely and outside the norm operation for WHM/Cpanel. It is very easy to break things getting this set up.

That said, I do think it is Cpanel's fault for not offering a way to properly configure it without manually editing the yaml files.

On 4/11/2018 at 3:16 PM, bfarber said:

More broadly - we used to have a separate "Security recommendations" page, but we've done away with that page and moved any security recommendations to the dashboard to make them more visible (and subsequently more actionable).

I for one would like to see it brought back. I don't like this big message on the dashboard.

When I have open_basedir enabled I am unable to upload attachments. I just get this error: 

There was a problem processing the uploaded file. Please contact us for assistance.

I found this error in the server logs:

[14-Apr-2018 19:47:26 UTC] PHP Warning:  Unknown: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/tmp) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/sitedir/) in Unknown on line 0
[14-Apr-2018 19:47:26 UTC] PHP Warning:  File upload error - unable to create a temporary file in Unknown on line 0

I agree, some examples could be handy.
I mean, with cron jobs the system already outputs the path to php and the path of the site,
surely for open_basedir something simular can be created? That would be a real help :) 

I have multiple sites behind a DirectAdmin interface on a shared platform with just one php.ini file.
So when I am trying to get the open_basedir right, it messes up my production site :( 

1 hour ago, Woodsman said:

FYI - This is what I needed to to get it working. You need to reboot your server after making the php.ini changes to have them go into effect.

Which is fine if you are in control of your own server.

To the rest of us we have the hassle of contacting web host and asking them to re-start the server

Personally think there must be a better way to do this as far as recall never had this issue in any version up to and including 4.2.9 but now we have to in 4.3

On 4/11/2018 at 8:16 AM, bfarber said:

More broadly - we used to have a separate "Security recommendations" page, but we've done away with that page and moved any security recommendations to the dashboard to make them more visible (and subsequently more actionable).

could they maybe get disabled on localhost or if in_dev is enabled?

1 hour ago, steve00 said:

Which is fine if you are in control of your own server.

To the rest of us we have the hassle of contacting web host and asking them to re-start the server

Personally think there must be a better way to do this as far as recall never had this issue in any version up to and including 4.2.9 but now we have to in 4.3

You need to reboot your server after making the php.ini changes to have them go into effect.

Obviously if you can't reboot your server yourself you need to contact your host.

Archived