Pages templates

rfcontreras

Hi all,

Trying to make Pages similar in usability as Joomla, I suggest to include more templates for database, categories and listing templates. The category listing template is really ugly, they're articles, not a blog! 

I suggest to include

a) The "recipes" and "release notes" should be included as default in every IPB Pages installation. It will not harm to add a lot of ways to show the information.
b) Category listing should have options like database's  article template  (category 3 column feature image).  Some very nice things were done by users, why dont include them?

c) Import/Export for data OR move content between databases.

Pages has a lot of potential, good for the admin, but regarding look & feel you must learn template syntax to do something nice.

Best Regards!

• 8 months later...

I completely agree with this.

A good handful of different default templates out of the box would help wonders for new admins to see and understand the power of Pages, and what it can do. As well as save time creating their own pages from scratch, they can cut ideas out of one and paste it into another. Without some hand-holding, it's quite an intimidating application knowing it can do everything but not knowing where to begin.

"A different article style" by @TAMAN

I'd like to point out to any IPS representative who might read this topic that v4 has been out for one year, and yet the community has only managed to offer 1 community guide and 1 Marketplace purchase.  There's clearly not enough community support or community innovation for what should be the most extensible app out of the suite, and that creates a steep learning curve for new admins who are uninitiated to Pages.  I think even a handful of article block templates (like 4 - 6 different styles) can go a long ways towards helping non-technical admins put together some amazing pages.

• 1 year later...
On 11/7/2016 at 3:03 AM, Neuro said:

I completely agree with this.

A good handful of different default templates out of the box would help wonders for new admins to see and understand the power of Pages, and what it can do. As well as save time creating their own pages from scratch, they can cut ideas out of one and paste it into another. Without some hand-holding, it's quite an intimidating application knowing it can do everything but not knowing where to begin.

To be honest, its not like we haven't been patient! We've been waiting and asking for a variety of new Pages templates since v2!

Why couldn't one of the IPS designers been tasked to create and release a few packs of free templates in the Marketplace, instead of us hoping for more to appear in a next major release?

Agreed category view is terrible, I hate lists of records unless I need an actual list of records like in a table.

Am I correct in thinking you can only have article style layout on one database at a time still? :unsure:

Edited by The Old Man

• 2 years later...
On 11/7/2016 at 6:30 PM, Joel R said:

"A different article style" by @TAMAN

I'd like to point out to any IPS representative who might read this topic that v4 has been out for one year, and yet the community has only managed to offer 1 community guide and 1 Marketplace purchase.  There's clearly not enough community support or community innovation for what should be the most extensible app out of the suite, and that creates a steep learning curve for new admins who are uninitiated to Pages.  I think even a handful of article block templates (like 4 - 6 different styles) can go a long ways towards helping non-technical admins put together some amazing pages.

We need a visual builder like Elementor in order to take full advantage of PAGES and be able to make anything our minds could imagine!

please please good luck GIF by True and the Rainbow Kingdom

5 minutes ago, Ibai said:

Hey @Daniel F are you planning to add a grid system just as Elementor does? That rows and column based on Bootstrap like 🙂 

That, combined with the actual widget system, would be absolutly great!

Well, while it's not the same, we have a similar system in the background already;) You can already define the base template ( 1,2,3 columns ) while creating a page.

4 hours ago, Daniel F said:

Something like this ? 🙂 It's not Elementor, but it heads to the right direction, or? 😉

As I started watching the video, I laughed and my eyes watered at the same time. Why? Excitement! 

It's truly hard to fully compete with the likes of Elementor, Divi, or even WPBakery, but it's not impossible. You guys are definitely headed in the right direction.

I was just going to ask, if it's possible to have 2 or 3 blocks side by side, so I can place images in each block, then I saw your comment ...

4 hours ago, Daniel F said:

You can already define the base template ( 1,2,3 columns ) while creating a page.

If I wanted just the top row to have 3 columns, then underneath that, 1 column, then under that, 2 columns, is that possible? If not, being able to customize the layout of a page like, pretty much like the page builders I mentioned would be incredible. 

Thanks for the amazing update. 

With so many negative things happening in 2020, 4.5 will surely be the highlight of the year. 

season 3 fireworks GIF by Bachelor in Paradise

On 4/21/2020 at 10:58 PM, SC36DC said:

As I started watching the video, I laughed and my eyes watered at the same time. Why? Excitement! 

It's truly hard to fully compete with the likes of Elementor, Divi, or even WPBakery, but it's not impossible. You guys are definitely headed in the right direction.

I was just going to ask, if it's possible to have 2 or 3 blocks side by side, so I can place images in each block, then I saw your comment ...

If I wanted just the top row to have 3 columns, then underneath that, 1 column, then under that, 2 columns, is that possible? If not, being able to customize the layout of a page like, pretty much like the page builders I mentioned would be incredible. 

Thanks for the amazing update. 

With so many negative things happening in 2020, 4.5 will surely be the highlight of the year. 

season 3 fireworks GIF by Bachelor in Paradise

ACP -> Pages -> Templates -> Page Templates -> Page Builder ->

<div>
    <div class='ipsGrid ipsGrid_collapsePhone'>
        <div class='ipsGrid_span4'>
        </div>

</div>

</div>

<div class='ipsGrid_span12'>
        </div>

<div class='ipsGrid_span6'>
        </div>

<div class='ipsGrid_span6'>
        </div>
    </div>
</div>

Would give you 

3 columns in the first row

1 column in the second row

2 columns in the third row

I think what is missing are containers.

In theory all you need is a few full width widget areas and then a system of containers and modules (blocks).

This way I can add a container that have a 70/30 split in the columns to get content and sidebar. I can add a 3 column block inside the content container and then a 2+1 column block inside one of the 3 column containers...and so on.

Right now you only have blocks so you have to hardcode the content, while a container + modules system would basically give you total freedom to create and use the pages widget system any way you can imagine.

Basically a container would be kind of like a modular way to register new widget areas with predefined conditions (columns/rows)

Does that make sense?

1 hour ago, Jimi Wikman said:

I think what is missing are containers.

In theory all you need is a few full width widget areas and then a system of containers and modules (blocks).

This way I can add a container that have a 70/30 split in the columns to get content and sidebar. I can add a 3 column block inside the content container and then a 2+1 column block inside one of the 3 column containers...and so on.

Right now you only have blocks so you have to hardcode the content, while a container + modules system would basically give you total freedom to create and use the pages widget system any way you can imagine.

Basically a container would be kind of like a modular way to register new widget areas with predefined conditions (columns/rows)

Does that make sense?

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

Sounds like you know you're way around the IPS system. Do you make tutorial videos? You would really be helping so many people to putting together videos explaining and showing how to do things. Thanks for replying.

2 hours ago, SC36DC said:

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

Sounds like you know you're way around the IPS system. Do you make tutorial videos? You would really be helping so many people to putting together videos explaining and showing how to do things. Thanks for replying.

I dabble 🙂
I don't do videos, but I can write tutorials if there is anything in particular you would like me to write about.

@Matt @bfarber Do you think it would be possible to allow creation of blocks that contain widget areas for the purpose of creating building blocks rather than content blocks? I know the way Widgets work right now is a bit restricted in that regards, but maybe that could change a bit in the future?

From what I hear, PAGES is very powerful and flexible, but even after reading through the guides, it's still not so easy to grasp. We need more videos showing the absolut process from getting from point A to point Z. It could be a series of videos or one long one, but videos would help quite a bit, as long as they weren't rushed and everything was explained.

Written guides can definitely help, especially if it's a guide on how to do something where this is no written info on it already.

Is it possible to do a guide better explaining this? 

Thanks @Jimi Wikman

Just now, SC36DC said:

From what I hear, PAGES is very powerful and flexible, but even after reading through the guides, it's still not so easy to grasp. We need more videos showing the absolut process from getting from point A to point Z. It could be a series of videos or one long one, but videos would help quite a bit, as long as they weren't rushed and everything was explained.

Written guides can definitely help, especially if it's a guide on how to do something where this is no written info on it already.

Is it possible to do a guide better explaining this? 

Thanks @Jimi Wikman

So a starter guide of sorts....I can do that 🙂

Right now we can't really create the make the containers because of the way widget areas are defined. You can hard code it of course to create specific blocks, kind of like I have done with my site for the sections:

https://jimiwikman.se/management/
https://jimiwikman.se/design/

It's the same content blocks for the hero and tabs, but they are duplicated and the variables are hard coded.

If this was a container block then I could have a configuration that allowed me to change the values in the tabs for example or change the content in the hero (background image, text, buttons...).

So, you can do pretty much anything you want with Pages, you just need to work more with static blocks than dynamic ones as in Elementor or Wordpress Gutenberg.