Upgrading to 4.6.3 screwed up my forum!

7 minutes ago, Dean_ said:

So, why have you made a post then, if they're already looking at it...? 🙄

Dear if you have nothing useful to add, please leave.
I'm really worried because I have a lot of access on my forum and I can't lose access because of bugs that take a long time to be fixed.

Thanks.

As much as we all wish that IPS releases bug free code they consistently show they they are not up to the task.  Just like the rest of the software developers out there...

If anyone chooses to upgrade their site within hours of a new release they are likely to encounter problems and it will take time for IPS to investigate and fix.

If you want to minimize the potential for downtime, delay upgrading to allow for "all" issues to be discovered and addressed on people's test installs before updating your production site.

2 hours ago, Karina Harumi said:

Anyone else suffering from the 4.6.3 upgrade? During the update gave error 403 and now my whole forum and adminCP are with error 404. What the heck?!?!

How did you try to do the upgrade? I do not think that you have anything to worry about. Ips staff will sort you out. They are professionals and very helpful.

P.s. Did you make a backup of the database btw before attempting to upgrade the forum?

Just now, Chris Anderson said:

If you want to minimize the potential for downtime, delay upgrading to allow for "all" issues to be discovered and addressed on people's YOUR test installs before updating your production site.

Fixed your typo.

1. Have a test copy of your production environment. What does that mean?

• Same version of OS, same version of PHP, same version of web server, same version of MySQL, same extensions, same configurations, different hostname, behind a firewall or otherwise secured. Not "kind of the same," or "almost the same," or "completely different."
  • Same plugins, extensions, themes, languages, configuration for IPS
  • Ensure things that interact with the outside world (payments processors, e-mail configurations, APIs, etc.) are pointed to corresponding test environments as well. You don't want real payments being processed or real e-mails being sent out from your test environment that affect your members.

2. Make changes in your test environment and document your changes carefully, noting the exact steps you took.

3. Test!

4. Have an issue in test? Investigate and open a ticket.

5. No issues, follow the same steps you documented in step 2 in your production environment.

If you're doing it any other way, you're gonna have a bad time.

GIF by South Park

2 hours ago, Karina Harumi said:

Anyone else suffering from the 4.6.3 upgrade? During the update gave error 403 and now my whole forum and adminCP are with error 404. What the heck?!?!

Updated to 4.6.3 with no issues at all.  I imagine that something screwed up during your upgrade and the only recourse you have will be to open a ticket.

19 minutes ago, Chris Anderson said:

If you want to minimize the potential for downtime, delay upgrading to allow for "all" issues to be discovered and addressed

No software is totally bug free and with something like IPS being installed on many different server environments it's to be expected that issues will arise.  If you wait until 'all' issues or bugs are discovered then you will be in for a very long wait - ad infinitum 🙂

Open a ticket IPS developers will be able to help you - I just hope that you took a backup of your database before updating.

I'm so grateful to everyone who made helpful contributions and tried to help/calm me down.

I've already got in touch with support and they are solving. As it appeared that I was supposed to upgrade to 4.6.3 as soon as possible for security reasons, I did, but now they are fixing it.

Thanks to everyone who, instead of criticizing, tried to help.

@Karina HarumiThere's nothing wrong in coming to the community support forums to ask if anyone else is having similar problems to you especially after putting in a ticket. 😉

For what's it's worth, I tried updating a brand new fresh install (still in offline mode with cron configured) of 4.6.1 to 4.6.2 yesterday and it just wouldn't have it. It stalled every time at the extraction stage after downloading the updated files, despite the Support Dashboard saying that there were no issues. 

D77BC707-DB3E-46E6-A1B6-7EA250107568.thumb.jpeg.87bc83e1ce7805a75f0a6497a4256b70.jpeg

V4.6.1 to 4.6.2

I did a full download from the Client Centre in the end, which worked fine.

Just now I tried it again to update from 4.6.2 to 4.6.3 and exactly the same...

B58E3884-BCAF-4647-B9EF-B096E119FFB9.thumb.jpeg.6d4714c8768076c493c7b74c617d5407.jpeg

V4.6.2 to V4.6.3

FAF82BFF-58CA-4975-8DF2-E35EB15826E9.thumb.jpeg.ccac6226155e4ca52c0d070d77e61e75.jpeg

So I'll do a full install again to get past it. (Edit: it worked again)

If you plan to upgrade your community, seriously do yourself, your community and IPS Support a favour, turn off your community and make at least 1 complete file backup of your IPS folders and files, and at least 1 full database backup first before upgrading!

Edited by The Old Man
Whinge removed.

3 minutes ago, Karina Harumi said:

Thanks to everyone who, instead of criticizing, tried to help.

I myselve are thankful for topics like this. I upgraded to 4.6.2 on monday, and it was all OK, and a minor upgrade from 4.6.2 - to 4.6.3 should be quick to do, and still stuff like this happens. It is a reminder that even this small upgrade could go bad and the only way to find out that is via topics like this.

The issue OP was facing wasn't software related, but we had it fixed fairly quickly.

18 minutes ago, The Old Man said:

Now before anyone says put a ticket in, no way. The last time I did this was the final time, it took around a week of replies before it was accepted as a bug.

This kind of thing could be anything from a permissions issue not allowing an extracted file to overwrite an existing one or maybe your specific PHP install being unable to extract the archive. Unless you submit a ticket, we simply won't know and won't be able to do anything to correct it if it is a genuine issue.

Thanks @Stuart Silvester 🙂

I wondered that but if it was one of those things, wouldn't the Support Dashboard flag it up? *I couldn't find the old System Checker tool in this version but I've just lost a filling and I'm grizzly!

Nothing showed in my mysql logs, error log or access log.

I did a full file download and it completed the install perfectly again.

* Note to self, the whole Dashboard is the system checker!

Edited by The Old Man

1 hour ago, Chris Anderson said:

As much as we all wish that IPS releases bug free code they consistently show they they are not up to the task.  Just like the rest of the software developers out there...

If anyone chooses to upgrade their site within hours of a new release they are likely to encounter problems and it will take time for IPS to investigate and fix.

If you want to minimize the potential for downtime, delay upgrading to allow for "all" issues to be discovered and addressed on people's test installs before updating your production site.

<on soap box> I wrote my post with the intention of inspiring a dialogue among the community around the issue. It wasn't meant to be taken too literally...

People need to be better informed as to when there are possible issues with a new release.  Unfortunately once a release leaves beta the bug tracker disappears and we don't know what issues are being encountered by others until: Release Notes - Invision Community gets updated. 

There were a great deal of issues from the 4.5 release that got rolled into 4.6 that I was totally unaware of.  I thought by then 4.5 was remarkably stable, when in fact it really wasn't as I didn't know of "any" of the problems that got fixed.

As we don't know what the "real" state of affairs are with each new release we all need to be cautious with upgrading.  As only a third of the marketplace apps have been updated there is a potential the developers will discover additional issues (and don't forget all of the trouble ticket submissions) that will necessitate additional 4.6.x releases.  

Based on@Stuart Silvestercomment it appears the issue was server related and not due to the new update.  It appears that this particular release will require special attention with our sever configurations which isn't a bad thing for the community to know as well as with the advisability of testing out new releases on a non production instance and knowing how to backup and restore. 

Postings like this have value as it is the only way we can communicate amongst ourselves that there "might" be potential problems with a particular release.  There are certainly better ways that IPS could manage the situation going forward. <off soap box>

Edited by Chris Anderson

1 hour ago, Chris Anderson said:

I think one issue is that when they release a bug fix for a new version but also mention a security fix (whilst not stating if it applies to just 4.6 or not), even more people will upgrade quicker, which is a pain for the Marketplace developers and designers because they are then under even more pressure to get their compatibility updates out. People were doing the old (when you going to realise a 4.6 compatible version of my plugin?) just days after the developer tools were released. 

I've personally come to dread big IPS upgrades because updating a local dev machine is scary because you don't know if it's going to work. Mixed and unclear advice, no documentation on doing so etc don't help reassure.

On 6/30/2021 at 9:09 PM, Chris Anderson said:

Based on@Stuart Silvestercomment it appears the issue was server related and not due to the new update.  It appears that this particular release will require special attention with our sever configurations which isn't a bad thing for the community to know as well as with the advisability of testing out new releases on a non production instance and knowing how to backup and restore. 

TBH I'm not jumping to conclusions either way, my issue may also be server related as I did recently move to a new container, but the Support Dashboard is supposed to flag any server issues like folder permissions, missing PHP or Apache modules and extensions etc. The Dashboard giveth me a clean bill of health.

252DC93E-4B79-4982-9ED6-76CAEDE01C1E.thumb.jpeg.cfd2350be056652b260cf6e22dfc86d9.jpeg

Edited by The Old Man
Clarification

8 minutes ago, The Old Man said:

the Dashboard giveth me a clean bill of health.

Somewhat akin to having a doctor's visit via your phone.  The doctor can only check you out for only the obvious things that might be amiss.  Leaving you only "somewhat" diagnosed. Both the doctor and IPS needs to manage expectations as to what can be accomplished using their diagnostic tools.

Edited by Chris Anderson

19 hours ago, Karina Harumi said:

Can you tell me, if this was update from 4.6.2 or 4.5?

Updated to 4.6.3 and the only issue I found was not being able to edit PAGES (the little gray arrow button on the left side of the screen was missing). I waited one day and then the little gray arrow button returned!). I think it takes a while for everything to reset. Other than that issue, 4.6.3 is working fine.