Moving posts archived in a seperate table to a new database

Hello, 

I need to urgently decrease the size of my boards database and therefore, I would like to archive most of the boards content (all the topics/posts/etc up to a year ago) to a seperate database. The thing is that I have already archived some of my boards forums into a seperate table of the same database and I am not sure how to move those into a seperate database dedicated only for archived content.

In the ACP I see:

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Page, Text, Measurements

In the phpmyadmin it currently looks like this:

Could contain: Text, Page

I have created an another database and filled in all the info in the ACP and arranged the settings to archive anything written on the board up to a year ago, but it seems like these new rules will affect only the posts from "forums_posts" table. 

How can I include the already archived content from "forums_archive_posts" into the newly created database? 

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Greetings

Posted (edited)

How can I unarchive the already archived content? In the ACP, I have deselected all the forums that were already archived and nothing happens. There are no processes going in the background. 

According to this statement in the ACP:

If you have already set up archiving and want to change the storage location, you will manually need to move the posts which have already been archived. Contact technical support for assistance.

There should be another way. 

Edited by angle4cor

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Switch off archiving and it will ask if you wish to unarchive. That will be done gradually in the background (you will not actually see a background task in the list, if thats what you are looking for)

I have done that yesterday and I still dont see any changes in the size of the posts tables:

Could contain: Page, Text

The forums_archive_posts table has the same size as earlier. Seems like nothing is happening in the background. 

When browsing trough the topics that were previously set as archived, I see that some of those aren't archived anymore (they are not locked) and others cannot be open due to an error:

Whats going on? 

Again, your technical staff had written this in the ACP:

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Page, Text

It seems like some of these posts will have to be manually moved to the other storage. 

Where can I find proper help or guide from Invision Community technical staff?

Edited by angle4cor

Ah, sorry I see what you are trying to do now. We are unable to provide instructions on how to backup a table and restore to another location.  If you are unsure how to backup and restore tables, you would need to contact your hosting company to assist you with this.

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Ah, sorry I see what you are trying to do now. We are unable to provide instructions on how to backup a table and restore to another location.  If you are unsure how to backup and restore tables, you would need to contact your hosting company to assist you with this.

Could you provide proper instuctions in how to unarchive the content and help with the errors I am getting trough this process? 

After trying to unarchive it in the ACP based on the little feedback I have recieved in this topic, a lot of the previously archived content is unaccesible with errors like this:

And some of the previously archived posts seem to not be archived anymore (aren't locked anymore). At the same time the table with forums_archive_posts has exactly the size as before I have taken any action.

The hosting company cannot help me with sorting these issues out. 

Edited by angle4cor

Sorry, there appears to be some confusion here. You are talking about both moving, and unarchiving. These are not the same thing. If you are looking to unarchive completely, can I confirm you have done the following, as mentioned above?

1. Deselected the archiving to switch it off in your admin CP
  2. Once deselected, chosen the option to unarchive all
  3. Set up a cron job on your server to manage background tasks

7 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Deselected the archiving to switch it off in your admin CP

I have deselected all the forums that were previously archived. 

8 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Once deselected, chosen the option to unarchive all

I have chosen the option to unarchive it all. I switched the archiving off. 

I did not set any cron tasks (no one in this topic had mentioned it earlier). Not sure what kind of command should I use to get it done. 

Ok so if you type "Cron" into the search bar in your admin CP, you will be see the option to switch how your tasks are run. You need to switch to cron, and the cron command you are adding on your server is shown on that page

I have switched it to Cron in the ACP, added the command on the server and changed the permissions to the task.php file.

I have done that yesterday and nothing had changed - the forums_archive_posts table is exactly the same size as it was three days ago before I have chosen the option to unarchive it all, tons of topics on my board are unaccesible due to the error I have pasted already twice in this topic and some seem to be unarchived which is really weird as the size of the archived posts table in the database hadn't decreased by even 1KB... 

Help...

We would need to look further into this for you, however the access details on file appear to be incorrect or missing. Could you please update these details by visiting your client area, selecting the relevant purchase, then clicking "Review/Update Access Information" under the "Stored Access Information" section. 

We look forward to further assisting you. 

On 4/29/2024 at 11:38 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

The number of items does appear to be lower than in your screenshot there. Note, when you are looking in PHPMyAdmin there, that's an estimated count. You should click it which will calculate the actual count

I clicked it:

Could contain: Text, Chart, Plot, Number, Symbol

I see the same amount of items and the same weight of the forums_archive_posts table. Tons of topics on my board are still unaccesible due to the errors from the screenshots above. 

Like I said in the very first post of this topic - I need to urgently decrease the size of my database (otherwise my whole board will soon go offline). 

I have created this topic a week ago. I have provided the necessary credentials in the client area. I did everything asked in this topic, but it seems like no one really looked into the issues I have described here. 

Could anyone help me with unarchiving all the content from the forums_archive_posts table and look into the errors I have posted here earlier?

I am tired of asking the same questions. Its not a freeware script. 

Edited by angle4cor