Has member title been removed?

I know I'm repeating myself here, but partly due to the uncertainty of how 4.6 works, and partly because not knowing if those wishing for the custom title to remain would be happy with having to hover over the new icons.

So, this is basically a question. I would be okay with users having to hover over the new rank icons to see the titles, would that be okay for others? And if so, why IPS has to remove something that shouldn't alter their 4.6 design?

As it is up to 4.5 inclusive, you set one criterion (namely post count but in 4.6 could be others) and give certain members the ability to change a default title that you have there anyway (some change it and others leave it as is). Why can't it be the same in 4.6? (Assuming it works within the whole new ranks system as planned)

Edited by PPlanet

4 hours ago, PPlanet said:

So, this is basically a question. I would be okay with users having to hover over the new rank icons to see the titles, would that be okay for others? And if so, why IPS has to remove something that shouldn't alter their 4.6 design?

It would make it pointless if you have to hover over the icon to see the title, what makes it personal was the ability to have it under their display name so it was easy to notice. Having to hover over the icon is just hidden from view.

@Matt. We love the new feature.  No one is crapping on it.  We just feel the custom titles were a big deal to our old members.  In fact I enabled a group rule to make it a reward when people hit 500 posts. 

We are just asking that you not take that away and delete the user data when upgrading.  Instead find a way to preserve it AND leverage your new system.  They can coexist!

Can you chime in?

I just moved the members' titles to the custom field.

Just create a new text field with a maximum length of 65 characters.

user-title123.png.22ac5d6132187ba09d9781685ec17507.png

My field has the ID 7. In the query, change the field ID to yours.

Additionally, add a prefix before the tables, if you have one.

Make an SQL query

UPDATE core_pfields_content t1 
INNER JOIN core_members t2 
ON t1.member_id = t2.member_id
SET t1.field_7 = t2.member_title;

Caution.

You do everything on your own accountability.

Before executing the SQL query, make a backup copy of the database just in case.

Edited by SeNioR-

On 5/6/2021 at 3:12 PM, Adriano Faria said:

And you can still hire somone to make a resource to you, not to the marketplace.

Yes, please remember this guys. The marketplace here is definitely not the only resource for Plugins/Apps.  Lots of developers jump at the opportunity to earn more money by letting you purchase things on their own websites or even directly so they don't lose a chunk to fees.  Don't be afraid to use the directory to contact someone privately, the worst they can say is no.  It's how my community survives without an active license. 

Edited by ahc

Like others, we've had people earning ranks for the last 20 years.

You're about to wipe that out.

I have no interest in the new reputation system. I was happy with the way it was and had been for many years – but hey ho, we're all using this software that's developed by people that are not us. Such is the way.

Not a fan of this move, or some of the potential changes ahead. Ah well.

Edited by PoC2
Added.

I understand the reservations as we are all used to the ranks system, which goes back to the days of vB (>2000) and UBB (<2000).
We are all familiar with the system of growing stars, ranks and thus titles and their static nature.

To proceed further on and step the game up I think the new proposal of using Achievements is a good approach and a thriving implementation. I think it is ranks and member titles 2.0. More granular, unobtrusive and elegant.

Give it a chance, let's play with it and help the devs and us to improve it. Every risk contains a chance 😉

2 minutes ago, Thomas P said:

More granular, unobtrusive and elegant.

From the looks on this board right now, it doesn't look less obtrusive or more elegant to me. Still, I suppose we will have to deal with it the best we can when it happens.

We always have alternatives.

Just now, PoC2 said:

From the looks on this board right now, it doesn't look less obtrusive or more elegant to me. Still, I suppose we will have to deal with it the best we can when it happens.

You couldn't deny: It looks cleaner

Just now, PoC2 said:

We always have alternatives.

Yes, bring up constructive suggestions to improve it.
After more than 20 years dealing with stars and ranks, it is time to look & move forward 😌

6 minutes ago, Thomas P said:

You couldn't deny: It looks cleaner

I certainly could – it is a matter of opinion, not objective fact.

Yes, bring up constructive suggestions to improve it.

People already have before me in this thread. We will see the outcome of such, soon, no doubt.

After more than 20 years dealing with stars and ranks, it is time to look & move forward 😌

"Forward" (like the term "Progress") has no meaning in this context, only "change". I personally have been happy with pretty much everything IPS has done up to 4.5. So, we shall see.

Edited by PoC2

43 minutes ago, PoC2 said:

"Forward" (like the term "Progress") has no meaning in this context, only "change". 

All I said that we and you should give it a chance. Just because it is new doesn't mean it is bad.
The only constant in life is change - this is an objective fact 😉

43 minutes ago, PoC2 said:

I personally have been happy with pretty much everything IPS has done up to 4.5. So, we shall see.

There you go 👍

On 5/10/2021 at 8:48 AM, Matt said:

The 4.6 release now moves all existing custom titles to a new custom field.

But now that it's in a custom filed how does one have to hack the system to surface that field under their username?

Why does it need to be a "custom" field can't you appropriate a dedicated "User Title" field that maintains current functionality with out needed adjustments.

• Management

To recap:

You do not need to enable the new rules, badges and ranks. There is an option pre-upgrade that asks you if you want to switch to the new system or not. If you choose not to, then you retain the existing ranks you already have.

image.png

The upgrade will also move any custom titles across to a new custom profile field.

If you want to show the custom member title under the user's photo in a post, then just switch on these custom field settings which are off after the upgrade.

image.png

5 hours ago, Matt said:

To recap:

You do not need to enable the new rules, badges and ranks. There is an option pre-upgrade that asks you if you want to switch to the new system or not. If you choose not to, then you retain the existing ranks you already have.

That's great to know. Thanks Matt.

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Ocean West said:

why didn't the upgrade drop the deprecated member_title column after the data was moved to a new custom field? 

We typically avoid dropping columns like this when they have user content. We'll remove it in due time when we know there aren't any issues with the profile field conversion,

On 5/12/2021 at 3:26 AM, Matt said:

A question. If we decide to use the new rank system after a while from upgrading to 4.6, What will happen to the custom titles in the new custom profile field? Will it still exist or removed ?

9 minutes ago, Afrodude said:

A question. If we decide to use the new rank system after a while from upgrading to 4.6, What will happen to the custom titles in the new custom profile field? Will it still exist or removed ?

Member titles are moved to a custom profile field regardless of the option you choose. They will continue to exist in a profile field unless you delete them.

58 minutes ago, Stuart Silvester said:

Member titles are moved to a custom profile field regardless of the option you choose. They will continue to exist in a profile field unless you delete them.

Would you offer a way to still have it appear below the username, so we can still have the choice? 

21 minutes ago, Dean_ said:

Would you offer a way to still have it appear below the username, so we can still have the choice? 

Profile fields can be made visible on the author pane, that's one of the primary reasons we opted to convert them instead of remove them completely.

1 hour ago, Stuart Silvester said:

Profile fields can be made visible on the author pane, that's one of the primary reasons we opted to convert them instead of remove them completely.

I've seen, and it displays under the group user icon and other info, but it just looks messy. Whereas the title under the username was neat. I can see what you guys have done and thankful for keeping it during the upgrade.