Has member title been removed?

In available releases, no - search the ACP for 'ranks' and you'll find the relevant section along with the setting that allows users to set their own 'rank' after x number of content items.

Future releases - not 100% sure but I believe I read that this functionality is being deprecated in IPS 4.6, in favour of the new Achievements functionality.

2 hours ago, Charles said:

If you want to maintain the ability for people to put some text below their name on the post bit, you can use custom profile fields to do the same thing.

All the current ranks will be removed though, I have a good few 1000 of custom titles already assigned in profiles.

Also won't be possible to set a post count required to change it.

Edited by marklcfc

I have a different issue. I'm worring about:

On 5/4/2021 at 8:38 PM, Charles said:

The old ranks and such were merged into the new Reputation system.

Do you mean the global Reputation system? I have Reputation totally disabled and I'm not gonna to enable it for the sake of badges.

On 5/4/2021 at 8:38 PM, Charles said:

If you want to maintain the ability for people to put some text below their name on the post bit, you can use custom profile fields to do the same thing.

But all existing ones will be deleted.

The ranks can be removed but the custom title must remain, you can convert them as a profile field.

Edited by SeNioR-

Probably a good opportunity for a developer to create a plugin converting user titles into profile fields. Or even better, IP is integrating such a tool into the upgrader for free.

Edited by Ramsesx

7 minutes ago, Ramsesx said:

Probably a good opportunity for a developer to create a plugin converting user titles into profile fields. Or even better, IP is integrating such a tool into the upgrader for free.

I thought they don't allow mods for items they decided to remove?

41 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

If IPS holds true to that stand than its imperative that they don't remove items without a real buy in from the community. I suspect many communities that are still on old builds due to their continued reliance on various deprecated features.

One would hope that IPS might modify their stand to say that as a rule mods aren't allowed to replicate removed features, but they will allow them if a select group of communities would be materially impacted by their loss and a mod could readily be created that wouldn't adversely impact the IPS Suite. If a programmer is creative enough to figure out how to accomplish such a feat than they should be able to help those impacted sites keep their sites up to date with the latest releases.

Edited by Chris Anderson

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Never heard of this. For example, some years ago IPS removed the chat system. There are now three chat applications available in the marketplace...

8 minutes ago, Ramsesx said:

Never heard of this. For example, some years ago IPS removed the chat system. There are now three chat applications available in the marketplace...

There's indeed a rule for this in our guidelines https://invisioncommunity.com/developers/submission-guidelines/

Your resource must not replicate any functionality that already exists in Invision Community or re-introduce functionality that has been removed, excluding inconsequential cosmetic changes that require no backend changes.

I guess the rule is about RE-INTRODUCE removed features by IPS, like the Members Title. The CHAT type resource wasn't created by IPS initially and it isn't exclusive. None of the chat apps available reintroduce what IP.Chat was, AFAIK. That would make absolutely no sense.

And you can still hire somone to make a resource to you, not to the marketplace.

Seriously 😕 

Custom member titles are part of the profile identify, please make sure there is an option we can preserve them somehow. I guess the query to copy them from member title to profile field shouldn't be overly complicated, can someone from the expirienced devs advise on that?

If you re-read @Daniel F's post the end of that is more important "excluding inconsequential cosmetic changes that require no backend changes." Basically if you are providing a theme hook that if "Profile field is filled in, replace achievement title with custom title" I doubt that's going to be a big thing. There is a limited impact to the front end, which is why there is this provisional term. You're not re-implementing next and previous titles for the topic pagination that causes EXTREME lag on large communities because the functionality itself was just massive. I've seen it take down sites with millions of posts.