Mobile App, Progressive Web App (PWA) For IPB

Gill

Mobile APP Poll  

202 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

49 minutes ago, masterkya said:

We looking to get the native apps for our projects which in theory so far cost about $4800 and is still building up. 

Once we will have the apps demo ( Android & IOS ) we may sell them here, if enough interest. 

Do you have any ETA? does it include only forum? clubs? commerce?

14 minutes ago, masterkya said:

Took me a few years to decide, after being with VB having the full licence with apps, but it didn't worked well as I cannot compare with IPB in any way. so here we go, we have decided taht we need to pay for apps 🙂 

Great- I hope to see it done. Any idea about the cost for us?

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 9/7/2018 at 10:18 PM, Aiwa said:

The begging and condescending tone, toward IPS, used in these topics is getting quite old. IPS has weighed in briefly on this and still identifies limitations for PWA. And believe me, they read these topics. The core platform has a mobile theme, I use it daily without issue. 

Is there room for improvement with mobile, sure... But using a tone that comes off as condescending of IPS and demanding for a very specific solution, to a problem for which you may not have the complete picture, comes off as simply an insult, in my opinion, to IPS.

You want better mobile support for your community? Make it yourself... Create a modified mobile theme tailored toward your community. Take some ownership in solving the problem for yourself rather than for every client that all have differing needs. 

It also helps to do your research... IPS had a mobile app at one point in the 3.3.x days, it wasn't successful. I can't answer as to why, but there are still Staff posts and IPS Blog posts about it. I created a summary post some months ago with some of the more relevant information about it. 

Reading everything word for word to this point, this author is "defining" the word "condescending" all by himself.

People have a right to ask! This board isn't free! The apps we buy arent free! We are paying customers who see the trend for what it is! And we don't want our continued investment to be for naught! If the author has a problem with that logic, then so be it. Enjoy your freedom of thought. But don't call people out for expressing a real want AND need in today's world.

And luckily, for this author, not everyone IS a programmer, or he would have to find a totally different trade to make money from. So let's lay off the 'jerk' tonic and let people ASK for what they are willing to pay for in peace!

Edited by MadMaddox
Extra verbiage removed

On 6/5/2020 at 8:07 PM, MadMaddox said:

Reading everything word for word to this point, this author is "defining" the word "condescending" all by himself.

That’s because the inflammatory posts I was referring to were removed. I do agree that most of the quoted post of mine, or all of it, should also be removed. 

Welcome to the topic, based on your  passion, it sounds like you have a lot of ideas. I’m sure other clients / IPS would be interested in hearing them as feature suggestions for IPS’ budding mobile app.

On 6/10/2020 at 3:36 AM, smoothcheese said:

That other forum software company just announced yesterday they are going to have a PWA available in version 2.2 and we don't have one yet in IPB. 😮

That’s isn’t true. The IPS community suite has PWA capabilities for some time now. I’ve been using my communities as well as this community as “PWA app” on my phone for years. 

Edited by opentype

• 2 weeks later...
  • Management

I've said it many times.

Apple will never make PWA a first person citizen on its platform; this means complete with full service workers and notifications.

They do not want a mass App Store exodus. They want that 30% in-app payment slice.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/18/21296180/apple-hey-email-app-basecamp-rejection-response-controversy-antitrust-regulation

We can definitely do more with our PWA implementation, but we decided the sensible approach was to create native apps.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

I've said it many times.

Apple will never make PWA a first person citizen on its platform; this means complete with full service workers and notifications.

They do not want a mass App Store exodus. They want that 30% in-app payment slice.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/18/21296180/apple-hey-email-app-basecamp-rejection-response-controversy-antitrust-regulation

We can definitely do more with our PWA implementation, but we decided the sensible approach was to create native apps.

Thanks,

I have the ips app installed, but after that I can't hear anymore about the pregress....right now it run a little slow, and copy post content is not available

We said it many times.

We do care about Android. Apple is insignificant on the global mobile market in terms of devices number. There are a lot of IPS customers who have more than 90% of mobile users with Android. Why should they suffer and even care about crazy Apple's politics, while these incredibly useful features work great on Android and could benefit your customers and most of their users today?

19 hours ago, Matt said:

Wasting years to create separate apps from scratch instead of a couple of weeks to create PWA based on code which was developed and improved for years and almost ready for it... Does not sound "sensible".

I understand, you hope what native app could become another source of $ when it's done, and (unfortunately) this looks like the only real reason why you don't want implement PWA. Because the argument about Apple does not look significant at all, given their real share of users.

I hope you re-evaluate the amount of time it takes to develop PWA vs native applications and will finally make the right choice.

Edited by Mr 13

This is 2020.

The app argument was settled years ago.

Good luck getting any market penetration now.

The truly funny part is Invision now insisting on the old native apps rather than the future PWA's.... SMH.

Good thing I don't use Invision to run a real business. Hobby is about where it will always stay.

That would be similar to Sears saying right now: "We've decided to try selling stuff online like Amazon instead of through our Catalog"

Before ips say "We go to native app", I give so many try with mobile app Builder of the market, many them offer native app and pwa together....as user can choose one the these options, or if you have time choose native and pwa as solution integrated.

How about if IPS go to native and pwa together? then according the future market continue with all or leave one of 2.

39 minutes ago, TheWorldNewsMedia.org said:

This is 2020.

The app argument was settled years ago.

Good luck getting any market penetration now.

The truly funny part is Invision now insisting on the old native apps rather than the future PWA's.... SMH.

Good thing I don't use Invision to run a real business. Hobby is about where it will always stay.

That would be similar to Sears saying right now: "We've decided to try selling stuff online like Amazon instead of through our Catalog"

I think it's important to keep in mind how many third-party plugins IPB has. To implement them into an app is an insurmountable task. 

I think when we consider an IPB app, instead of converting the web format into an app format, we should be thinking about a separate idea. What that is? I'm not sure yet. But if I IPB can create an app where a forum owner can leverage their community database into an app... that's where I think an IPB app would take off. 

For instance, if Twitter didn't exist. IPB has an app where members of your community forum can upload a Tweet. Obviously it needs to be something not being done, but just used that as an example. Hope that makes sense. 

Btw I run a real business using IPB only 😉