When is IPB 4.0 ?

Markus Becker

Thing is, I actually think they ARE a lot farther along than people think they are. If you take a good look at the info provided (esp in the Developer Channel blog posts), you can see that arguably one of the biggest parts (building the infrastructure/IPS 4 platform itself) IS already done. They wouldn't be working on applications at all until the platform itself was done. The plan as announced was essentially a total re-factoring of the platform that provided a common set of tools/functionality to be used to CREATE the apps. Maybe it's just me, but that pretty strongly implies that if they ARE working on apps at all, then the core IPS platform development must be essentially complete.

This is further supported by the fact that Developer documentation has already been stated to be in progress.

My money is on sooner than the community seems to think. But then, I'm well known to be an optimist, just ask my wife Susan. She likes to call me "Wally, the used car salesman" when I get going about how awesome new releases are going to be. :tongue:

James

(of James and Susan)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QA, testing, developer testing and public beta tests still need to be done before an official stable release is made. This process alone will take some time. It should take time to ensure all the bugs and kinks are worked out.

So I'm almost 100% positive we won't be seeing an official release within the next two weeks. :tongue:

But I do have some confidential information from an inside source saying that it could be released within the next three weeks.

I would love to see some more narrated videos of the new features by Matt. Screenshots can only show so much and probably don't do 4.0 much justice. With videos we get to see the new features in more detail without IPS having to release anything. :smile:

Im hoping its released tomorrow, it will automatically upgrade my forum, skin and all my modifications without my intervention and that all further posts will be done by the power of the mind and a psychic link. Wont happen though, so for now I'm gonna set my expectations really low and say I only want it to be released in 300 x better condition of vbulletins latest. Although I know you guys will hit far higher than that :P

• Management

I don't expect final version before june or july. They didn't start APPs yet... I read somewhere that they're working on Core and IP.Board now.

Actually, Downloads, Chat and Content are in full development along with the core and forums.

And Calendar for that matter. And the way the framework is set up, applications are not a ground-up experience each and every time. All of the components are reusable (want to support tags? Just "implement IPSContentTaggable" and that's all you have to do) so a lot of stuff that had to be handled manually and copied and pasted and so on before is just done by the framework automatically, where instructed.

It's misleading to think about specifically which apps are done or being worked on, because 4.0 is designed to be a fully integrated suite and not just a basket of separate applications.

• Management

I see blogs is not mentioned, so maybe that is being dropped to merge with Content?

We didn't mention Nexus either. :smile: I just wanted to give some confidence that we're further ahead than just a few core bits.

Can you explain a little more please? You can override any class in IPS 4.

this will be awesome, IPB using a great system to override classes which i didn't see in other scripts (yet), i want to know what's plans for developers, any new features? do you want to increase data hooks? we need them as much as WordPress have :D

this will be awesome, IPB using a great system to override classes which i didn't see in other scripts (yet), i want to know what's plans for developers, any new features? do you want to increase data hooks? we need them as much as WordPress have :D

We touched on extended classes, briefly, in the Dev Introduction blog actually. :smile:

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

There is also this entry as well (I knew there was one somewhere): '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Archived