When is IPB 4.0 ?

Markus Becker

But do you understand the frustration of users that have those bugs today and will continue to have those bug for 6 to 12 months because even if 4.0 was released tomorrow, very few of us can upgrade until third party skins and add-ons are also updated?

Not aware of any critical bugs and if they are IPS will fix them :)

Just like they have released fixes for security issues - which are critical bugs, or the IE 11 fix, which affects many users (not just clients)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol Charles finally strayed from the when it's ready answer and then it wasn't out last year. I definitely can say nothing bad about that, though, now that I know firsthand how easy it is for something to take more time and work than expected. The people doing the work obviously want to be done as soon as possible, but nothing really ever goes as planned and new ideas also come into mind during the process.

I think Matt's sig says it best

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by."
-- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

I, for one, can't wait to get my hands on the 4.0 beta, whenever that gets released, and open the hood.

I won't repeat everything I said in the last post, but at least I've got a distraction because the Promise 2 RAID array just got here! 10 TB (12 TB before the parity) in a Hardware RAID 5 on a 20 GB/sec daisy chaining bus. Sweet... Now I just have to wait for the initial synchronization to finish. Ok, that's shiny enough to distract me for a bit while we wait for 4.0. Or at least while we wait for some blog posts about the meat of 4.0. :)

James

Charles' 2013 comment aside IPS staff members were also going around since July making comments like "we're actually farther along in development than you might think" and "we've been working on 4.0 and 3.4 at the same time". I'm not saying that this means that they should've had it out by now, but the way they were talking I'm sure you can understand why some people expected it sooner. As a result some third party modders stopped making new products because "why should I code anything when I just have to redo it in a couple months?" Site admin grow more hesitant to buy mods and skins because "I'll probably have to pay for it again when it's upgraded to 4.0 assuming it even is".

I'm just trying to point out that IPS gave heavy implications they would be done or near done by now back in the summer. Four back to back blog entries on the editor implied there was some heavy work being done and already done. But when I look at the things IPS says now and the blog entries that "only get released when features are completed" it doesn't seem like IPS is that far at all and I don't expect this to be done until summer.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing. By all means take your time and make the best product. Just IPS has to admit that they, at one point, grossly overestimated how quickly they were gonna finish which did indeed have some sort of impact on site administrators and that their frustrations aren't entirely unjustified.

It's all the same to me though...take your time. Just accept that anyone who's impatient has the right to be.

Charles' 2013 comment aside IPS staff members were also going around since July making comments like "we're actually farther along in development than you might think" and "we've been working on 4.0 and 3.4 at the same time". I'm not saying that this means that they should've had it out by now, but the way they were talking I'm sure you can understand why some people expected it sooner. As a result some third party modders stopped making new products because "why should I code anything when I just have to redo it in a couple months?" Site admin grow more hesitant to buy mods and skins because "I'll probably have to pay for it again when it's upgraded to 4.0 assuming it even is".

I'm just trying to point out that IPS gave heavy implications they would be done or near done by now back in the summer. Four back to back blog entries on the editor implied there was some heavy work being done and already done. But when I look at the things IPS says now and the blog entries that "only get released when features are completed" it doesn't seem like IPS is that far at all and I don't expect this to be done until summer.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing. By all means take your time and make the best product. Just IPS has to admit that they, at one point, grossly overestimated how quickly they were gonna finish which did indeed have some sort of impact on site administrators and that their frustrations aren't entirely unjustified.

It's all the same to me though...take your time. Just accept that anyone who's impatient has the right to be.

Exactly this. I can understand why people are getting disappointed/annoyed with the unannounced delay.

If what you're saying is true, does that mean a realistic release date is somewhere around Q4 2014 to Q1 2015?

With each new post in this topic, it reinforces the reason why developers in general never give release dates on new versions. :tongue: I don't foresee any developer willing to step on this ledge again anytime soon with the beatings going on here. :smile:

Here is the "wife version" for the married peeps!

When will you be home honey? When I pull up the drive way, you know I'm home sweetheart!

THANK YOU!

I've been holding off on hiring a developer for a total site re-design for this exact reason. Because of reading the tea-leafs recently as to how much longer I can realistically expect before I could think about a 4.0 upgrage, I'm putting together a visual refresh and that's really all for the moment. I've tagged a bunch of mods in the Marketplace that I want to follow after the upgrade... but realistically, it sounds like we're 10 months away from pulling the trigger on those.

With each new post in this topic, it reinforces the reason why developers in general never give release dates on new versions. :tongue: I don't foresee any developer willing to step on this ledge again anytime soon with the beatings going on here. :smile:

When will you be home honey? When I pull up the drive way, you know I'm home sweetheart!

more like:

When will you be home honey? the sink is leaking....

I'm half way home now.

When will you be home honey? the basement is starting to flood...

I stopped at the bar for some drinks.

When will you be home honey? The walls in the kitchen have now collapsed...

I'm not telling and stop asking... you can live with it until I get there.

and eventually...

Don't bother to come home honey, I've run off with your friend Drupal.

Except this has nothing to do with release dates. I very clearly made my post NOT about Charles' 2013 estimate rather about other comments made in threads and blog entries by Brandon and Mark indicating that development of 4.0 was quite farther along than it actually was. I really don't see where you get off on writing off people's frustrations with "and this is why we don't tell you release dates" when really their frustrations are more based on the fact that they're afraid to commit to anything for their 3.4 powered sites in fear of it being obsolete in 4.0. Then they look back and regret not committing. Regardless of your intentions, IPS' optimism on their progress with 4.0 did have have an impact on some people. I know you guys like to jump to your "and this is why we don't announce release dates" line and act like you're doing everything right, but that's really not what people are annoyed/disappointed/frustrated about.

On the other hand I guess IPS was also kind of trapped. A year ago people were so incredibly concerned with being able to detach IP.Board from the core. So much so that I can see why IPS made the announcement about how 4.0 would be structured when they did. Thing is that happened around the time 3.4 came out. Really I think people's expectations of a time frame wouldn't have been so high if IPS hadn't said that they were working on both the 4.0 and 3.4 branches at the same time. I guess it's all a matter of poor timing but we also have to acknowledge that IPS was kind of trapped and had to make the announcement when they did. I guess we can chalk this whole fiasco up to extremely unfortunate circumstances.

Still my point is to explain why people would be frustrated at this because I think IPS just doesn't understand. It's not about release dates. It's about planning out decisions for their sites based on what they know about upcoming changes. I think it's important to understand that because I feel you only escalate people's frustrations when you write off their complaints as people just wanting a release date.

Exactly what my wife says too!

Thanks for reminding me that I'm still an immature brat. ~.~

To be very clear, in case I wasn't, I was referring to developers in general, and the second part was about my wife... :smile: Call it my attempt to add some humor and lighten things up a little.

Management has posted in this topic already with the status, and any info needed on 4.0. I can tell you that everyone hears you loud and clear on your opinions, I'm personally sorry for your frustrations and hope they will be put aside soon when 4.0 is released.

Have a great weekend everyone :smile:

heh my wife has learned to expect smartass replies to stuff like that fro me.

her:you close to home?

me: I'd be closer if you stopped bugging me.

then I walk inside LOL

vBulletin just took a heavy blow. Their software incorporated YUI 2.9 or something which was found to have a security bug, so Yahoo scrapped it. Now no one on VB forums can upload multiple files at the same time (without selecting them one by one in their convoluted confusing uploader).

RIGHT NOW, TONIGHT, would be a good time to release IPB 4.0 - they'll get a lot of migrations from pissed of VB customers. Which btw, VB decided to tell everyone to deal with it, "sorry" and that they had no interest fixing the security hole. Their response was "We don't have a flash programmer and never had".

I told them IPB 4.0 was going to mop the floor with them when it's released. Hopefully that's not in 2015.

Speaking of good timing.... I was working on a new version of my betting app partly due to the ncaa bowl games and then I couldn't finish it in time and all the bowl games are over and I still haven't finished. Now I screwed myself over. lol

As far as vb, though, no matter what problems it has, some people will still rush to use it due to how many sites they had used in the past which used it. I would say most forums I've gone to are still using vb.

Speaking of good timing.... I was working on a new version of my betting app partly due to the ncaa bowl games and then I couldn't finish it in time and all the bowl games are over and I still haven't finished. Now I screwed myself over. lol

As far as vb, though, no matter what problems it has, some people will still rush to use it due to how many sites they had used in the past which used it. I would say most forums I've gone to are still using vb.

people expect it to work as well as 3.8 series did.

people learn to lower their expectations in a hurry.

Before deciding to go with IPB for my forum, I actually viewed, analyzed, and studied more than 18 forum software.

I even tried out four through a 72 hr. "trial offer".

After three weeks I came to the conclusion IPB had the BEST forum software "out there" - including that one in Germany which claims to be "the best" in the world.

Sure, there are a few things I would prefer were not so with IPB, or, were included - but NOTHING is perfect in this life.

I found that out the heard way - through experience!

As for the new 4.0 version - it is something to look forward to - and WHEN is not a primary factor; QUALITY is.

DJ

Both sides are fully correct . Board owners need to plan their future where as IPB team is trying to release their new version.

As a big board here is how we try to position ourself.

IPB Team has an amazing chance on their hand to release an amazing product and take advantage of vBulletin Disaster. If they achieve what they seem to be planning , then there will be a killer product on the market.

That's why delays surely create issues for us but we are just hoping IPB Team's hopes will reach to reality with IPB 4.

And from what we can all see from blog entries , things are not that far. I expect a alpha/beta release in max 2-3 month. Another important point i noticed from staff comments is that we will see an excellent product with low number of bugs on initial Beta 1 release.

So we hope IPB Team will take their time to dominate the next 3-4 years.

Archived