When is IPB 4.0 ?

Markus Becker

No matter when it comes out, it's best to have a stable version (or as stable as it could possibly be for release) so that they don't end up getting a bunch of angry customers saying it's broken, crashing, etc. It's a big release, so we should treat it as such - knowing it'll take a while to get it working right to show off as the best product available on the market. It's better to have a working product than something that was rushed.

I'd love to see some more blog updates, considering the last one was in October and it's the 2nd of December, but hopefully that'll come soon. I cannot wait to see more of the AdminCP, as well as to see any further updates to the Mod CP, User Control interface, and the front-end of the forum itself.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to see some more blog updates, considering the last one was in October and it's the 2nd of December, but hopefully that'll come soon. I cannot wait to see more of the AdminCP, as well as to see any further updates to the Mod CP, User Control interface, and the front-end of the forum itself.

>

As Matt mentions, we're just working on a lot of boring behind the scenes stuff that isn't terribly blog worthy, but there are a lot of things in the pipeline we'll be able to blog about soon so stay tuned.

I understand the logistics of delays and need for responsible decisions about releases; no objections there...

In the meantime, though, I'm disappointed that numerous bugs with IP.Converter can't be addressed. There are major issues - conversion of tags from vBulletin, for example - that really need fixing, could be addressed relatively easily, and are instead being deferred "Until 4.x"...

If the advice from IPS is to move to 3.4 now instead of waiting for 4.0, that's fine, but this is a KEY time to make sure the converter code is working flawlessly, and its current operation is very far from flawless... in my initial attempt to convert our vb3.8 forums - which have ZERO mods installed, mind you - I encountered half a dozen unfixed bugs, and logged a few new ones.

Can someone please give IP Converter some serious, serious love if IPS4 is being pushed back like this?

This is a pivotal time period for IPS where a lot of disgruntled vBulletin folks like me will be exploring switching, and the conversion process right now is not persuasive, nor does it paint a positive/representative picture of the actual IPS software...

I understand the logistics of delays and need for responsible decisions about releases; no objections there...

In the meantime, though, I'm disappointed that numerous bugs with IP.Converter can't be addressed. There are major issues - conversion of tags from vBulletin, for example - that really need fixing, could be addressed relatively easily, and are instead being deferred "Until 4.x"...

If the advice from IPS is to move to 3.4 now instead of waiting for 4.0, that's fine, but this is a KEY time to make sure the converter code is working flawlessly, and its current operation is very far from flawless... in my initial attempt to convert our vb3.8 forums - which have ZERO mods installed, mind you - I encountered half a dozen unfixed bugs, and logged a few new ones.

Can someone please give IP Converter some serious, serious love if IPS4 is being pushed back like this?

This is a pivotal time period for IPS where a lot of disgruntled vBulletin folks like me will be exploring switching, and the conversion process right now is not persuasive, nor does it paint a positive/representative picture of the actual IPS software...

If you would like to file a support ticket with any current issues you are having we will look into a solution for you, I reviewed your support ticket on this from July and there was a solution provided from what I can see. Please let us know any current issues via a support ticket and we would be happy to help get your conversion processed without errors.

Our vb converters actually work very well, we do them each and everyday.

Thank you

Please note that our converters are maintained separately from the rest of the code base and further updates for converters may or may not be released as needed. I would recommend, as suggested, to submit a ticket if you are having difficulty running the converters so that we can take a look and/or provide a patch if necessary.

Please note that our converters are maintained separately from the rest of the code base and further updates for converters may or may not be released as needed. I would recommend, as suggested, to submit a ticket if you are having difficulty running the converters so that we can take a look and/or provide a patch if necessary.

I understand that but i strongly suggest working on convertors from scratch and develop a faster, better conversion script. Conversion script should have 2 options as a start like Xenforo convertors
Keep existing id's / Use new id's

Don't get me wrong but current convertors are kind of painful :)

I understand that but i strongly suggest working on convertors from scratch and develop a faster, better conversion script. Conversion script should have 2 options as a start like Xenforo convertors
Keep existing id's / Use new id's

Don't get me wrong but current convertors are kind of painful :smile:

The converters will likely have to be rewritten anyway, due to the underlying codebase changing in IPS4.

• 4 weeks later...

My speculation for a release date is late 2014. Especially since the staff posts in this thread at the beginning clearly state that they don't have any interest at hitting goals or if they have goals. It's going to be ready when it's ready. Prepare to have time taken and work around not knowing when a release date is and then POOF 4.0 is there

This is my guess too... prior big releases have slipped in release estimates by a substantial amount. I wouldn't mind waiting if they hadn't already stated that they aren't doing anymore releases for 3.4.x series. That is a problem because one look at the tracker can tell you that not all bugs in 3.4.x have been dealt with. The world (and search engines) keep moving and our websites get more out of date each day. IPS Staff in the forums recently said that 10,000+ markup errors in Google Webmaster is no big deal because it must have been that way for a while, so we shouldn't worry about it. Now, I have a ticket open on it and they are looking at it, but the idea that our sites can stay static with no software updates until 4.0 while Google and the rest of the world changes... simply isn't good business practice.

Imagine if Microsoft stopped updating Windows eleven months before releasing their next version and ZERO updates for people who cannot move to the new version right away! That is what IPS is saying they're doing.

I don't think that's a fair thing to say. The primary thing that people need constant updates for is security and exploits, and IPS has always put those out in a timely manner.

Understand, that keeping the 3.4.x branch open and actively being developed at this point is just going to push the 4.0 release back farther and farther. It's a question of where best to put development resources, and given that there have already been a couple of 3.4.x maintenance releases since 4.0 dev began in earnest, I think painting IPS as abandoning the 3.4.x series isn't really fair.

Personally, I'd rather they focus the dev hours on getting 4.0 done and into Beta ASAP as it's a MAJOR refactoring that many of us have been waiting for. Indeed we have a couple of projects that have been waiting for 4.0 to roll out and get through the initial shakedown, and I'm pretty sure we're not alone.

James

I'd really like to see 4.0 released as quickly as possible, because I'm developing a site that's going to be totally integrated with 4.0, and I'd love to get a beta and be able to start developing it soon. ;)

It's unreasonable to say that IPS is totally abandoning 3.4 though. It's not at the end of it's support life, and it won't be for quite some time. No, they're not going to waste their time releasing another 3.4.x update when they have 4.0 to worry about, but they'll continue to release security updates and provide support for clients still on 3.4. What more do you want from them?

I'd really like to see 4.0 released as quickly as possible, because I'm developing a site that's going to be totally integrated with 4.0, and I'd love to get a beta and be able to start developing it soon. ;)

same here, but I guess if it is going to be later than May/June, I will have to launch that without 4.0 (many features need 4.0, even more so now due to the news on IP.Connect, as its not just 1 site, but a network of many.)

It's unreasonable to say that IPS is totally abandoning 3.4 though. It's not at the end of it's support life, and it won't be for quite some time. No, they're not going to waste their time releasing another 3.4.x update when they have 4.0 to worry about, but they'll continue to release security updates and provide support for clients still on 3.4. What more do you want from them?

Updates are more than just security. If Google or Bing changes the way they crawl our sites between now and 4.0, yes I expect an update. If there is a new version of PHP or Ioncube that is released before 4.0 and IPS 3.4.6 doesn't work with it, I expect an update (to IPS's credit, they are doing this). There still a number of bugs in the bug tracker for 3.4.6 that could use fixing.

The point is that many site owners cannot upgrade to 4.0 the day it is released because it will break skins and other add-ons that they have installed. I suspect the vast number of IPS installations out there are not completely stock and will be in the same situation I am of having to delay the 4.0 installation. Even if those add-ons can be upgraded by 3 months after 4.0's release, site owners are looking at as late as next November before being able to move to 4.0. That is a long time for some of these bugs to remain broken.

IPS is going to have a large number of customers on 3.4.x for quite a while after the release of 4.0 and those 3.4.x customers still have bugs in their software that need to be addressed.

That's a good point, but I just don't see how they be actively developing for both 3.4 and 4.0 at the same time. Nothing will get done for either if they aren't putting the majority of their focus towards either one. And ATM, 4.0 is surely taking priority.

That being said, a 3.4.7 update might be something they could consider right after the 4.0 release, if there's enough things that need fixing. (I personally haven't had many problems with 3.4, but I'm a relatively new customer.) The problem I see with that though, is that they'll be needing to fix early bugs with 4.0, so that would stand in the way of a possible 3.4.7 update.

I went from hand coding->PHPNuke->vB4->IPB3.4.x

I'm happy to wait until later this year. IPB is very good (especially with the full suite of add-ons which I make use of extensively) and I'd like it to continue being so.

Archived