Help!! I can't update to the latest version. There are no applications available to upgrade

Yes, same here.

Tue, 12 Mar 2024 23:29:47 -0500
Exception::0
Could not list the files in the zip
#0 /home/customer/www/Mysite/public_html/admin/upgrade/extract.php(643): Extractor->extract(0)
#1 {main}

Also, insert a stock photo from the editor no longer works. See error.

Could contain: Text, Page, Business Card, Paper

@Marc Stridgen I apologize for getting involved in this topic, but maybe there really is some problem with auto upgrade...
Here's what happened to me - when I received an email that you activated 4.7.16, I, as usual, logged into my test installation - I started autoupgrade and it went perfectly (but note that in this installation I already have the 4.7.16 beta update) .
So far so good - but when I started a live site with the same intention to update, I was startled for a moment - because it turned out that the live site is also already with 4.7.16 - ie. for some reason when updating my test installation, the live site was also updated...
I.e. there is some mystery in your new release.
Again, I apologize for writing in this thread, but I thought this information would be useful to you.

Also - with many updates, the changed templates check returned nothing, even though there are important templates with changes from your original development.

15 minutes ago, Adlago said:

So far so good - but when I started a live site with the same intention to update, I was startled for a moment - because it turned out that the live site is also already with 4.7.16 - ie. for some reason when updating my test installation, the live site was also updated...
I.e. there is some mystery in your new release.

Is your database connected to the same "instance"? If so, that would be the one way this could happen. Otherwise, they are not connected what-so-ever so would not be able to do this. Both test and live should have their own database and file set.

1 hour ago, beats23 said:

Yes, same here.

Tue, 12 Mar 2024 23:29:47 -0500
Exception::0
Could not list the files in the zip
#0 /home/customer/www/Mysite/public_html/admin/upgrade/extract.php(643): Extractor->extract(0)
#1 {main}

Also, insert a stock photo from the editor no longer works. See error.

Could contain: Text, Page, Business Card, Paper

You're running PHP 8.3 which is not supported. Please downgrade to PHP 8.1 or 8.0

12 minutes ago, Jim M said:

You're running PHP 8.3 which is not supported. Please downgrade to PHP 8.1 or 8.0

Stock photo now works with PHP8.1. Was it php8.3 the cause of the auto update issue?

Just now, beats23 said:

Stock photo now works with PHP8.1. Was it php8.3 the cause of the auto update issue?

If you run on a non-supported version of PHP, you're going to have issues.

15 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Is your database connected to the same "instance"? If so, that would be the one way this could happen. Otherwise, they are not connected what-so-ever so would not be able to do this. Both test and live should have their own database and file set.

No, the databases are different... But now I remembered that I'm using PHP 8.2 and everything works perfectly... With that weirdness I wrote about in the update...

PS.A while ago I updated the patch that you released - and there was no such strangeness... For each of the installations separately.

2 minutes ago, Adlago said:

No, the databases are different... But now I remembered that I'm using PHP 8.2 and everything works perfectly... With that weirdness I wrote about in the update...

The only way a site would be upgraded to a new version would be if an administrator has done so on that instance. There are no other means to do so.

2 minutes ago, Jim M said:

The only way a site would be upgraded to a new version would be if an administrator has done so on that instance. There are no other means to do so.

I know it very well... And because it happened and surprised me a lot, that's why I wrote it... It sounds strange, but it's a fact.

19 minutes ago, Adlago said:

I know it very well... And because it happened and surprised me a lot, that's why I wrote it... It sounds strange, but it's a fact.

I would advise retracing your steps and analyzing your configurations as what you're stating here is plainly not possible, I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

You guys should really consider adding a maximum PHP version check both in the suite and the requirements checker. I'm not saying to lock everything with the wrong version, even a simple warning in ACP would to the job.

With a simple check for the maximum version, you'd avoid dozens of support requests... 🙄

18 minutes ago, teraßyte said:

You guys should really consider adding a maximum PHP version check both in the suite and the requirements checker. I'm not saying to lock everything with the wrong version, even a simple warning in ACP would to the job.

With a simple check for the maximum version, you'd avoid dozens of support requests... 🙄

We certainly have, it wasn't quite ready for this release though.

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

I was running php 8 3 also. I will downgrade to 8.1 and retry the upgrade again to the forum.

28 minutes ago, beats23 said:

My hosting had PHP 8.3, and I thought being on the latest PHP was the best. 

That's a lesson I learned a long time ago.  🙂 The "latest" is not always the best.  In fact in the corporate world, most organizations run slightly older LTS releases of software instead of the hot off the press versions.  

The key question to ask is if there is something specific you need in the latest release (for example a known bug was fixed in the newest release that is causing problems for you).  From a security perspective, since 8.2 for example is still supported, if there was a major security issue, they would release the next sub point release (8.2.XX).  It would not require upgrading to 8.3.x until 8.2 is EOS.  

17 hours ago, NAWAC said:

I was running php 8.3 also. I will downgrade to 8.1 and retry the upgrade again to the forum.

I just performed the upgrade with PHP 8.1 and everything worked fine with no errors. It must have been the PHP 8.3. The Extractor->extract(0) utility must not be the same in PHP 8.3 than in 8.1.  

Thanks for the help, everyone.

On 3/15/2024 at 8:31 PM, Jim M said:

Oh come on. This should be controlled by the updater process.

I was running the forum on 8.3 without problems, but update is not possible?

BUT good news now: the update was working!

Just imagine what this feeling left for me:

First security problem in the old install

Then Virus warning in your installation files (and you just said don't worry about this)

Than running a forum with a security hole and no chance to fix it.

Not a good way how to treat customers.

30 minutes ago, Murmel said:

Oh come on. This should be controlled by the updater process.

Im a little confused as to what you believe should be controlled by the upgrader?

30 minutes ago, Murmel said:

Then Virus warning in your installation files (and you just said don't worry about this)

Than running a forum with a security hole and no chance to fix it.

Not a good way how to treat customers.

Its worth noting here, this is a bug in what is scanning the files, not a bug in the files. We dont have any control over that in any way 

34 minutes ago, Murmel said:

I was running the forum on 8.3 without problems, but update is not possible?

IPS has ALWAYS said that 8.3 is not officially supported. It’s not tested against it. While it may work for you, it’s not guaranteed to. 

So now you’re coming back to them upset because something did not work because you decided not to listen to them anyway?  I’m not sure how you can blame them for this. Just because it used to work does not mean it will always work when they clearly say that version is not supported or tested against. 

Before you complain about something, make sure your environment matches the system requirements. There is a reason those requirements exist… they don’t list them just to be difficult. 

53 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Im a little confused as to what you believe should be controlled by the upgrader?

If I have a suitable version :). Not to low not to high. Typically, you prefered a more advanced version. I didn't expect such an "old version" ;). As you know 8.1.0. or 8.0x are no longer supported. The error message of the system didn't tell me enough to solve the question by myself. Also, the advice: do a manual update was misleading.

Just sharing my thoughts....

But anyway.

Now the update was running as usual without any problems which was my goal.

58 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

IPS has ALWAYS said that 8.3 is not officially supported

I personally have never seen this warning. There was no php warning when updating nor in the apc. If updating past php 8.1 is so critical for the suite this should be stated in the apc support section or have a warning in the apc when a system does not have the recommend version of php. No one here can read minds. 

35 minutes ago, Murmel said:

As you know 8.1.0. or 8.0x are no longer supported.

Security support for 8.1 does not end till late November of this year. It is still supported: https://www.php.net/supported-versions.php

On 3/15/2024 at 5:03 PM, Stuart Silvester said:

We certainly have, it wasn't quite ready for this release though.

As mentioned by Stuart above, we will be noting this more present during upgrades.