php8 upgrade

LiveG
Go to solution Solved by Randy Calvert,

Hello,
My site is running now with PHP Version 7.4.3, and forum Version 4.7.1.
I wonder what the correct order of operation is to minimize the damage.

Should I first upgrade only the server to PHP8? And only after that, the forum to 4.7.2? 

Edited by LiveG

Thanks. 
Business-wise, I don't want to make any changes to my site until 1.1.2023.
I can't take the risk of crashing out. 
The real impact for not upgrading anything is only the lack of ipb support and security updates?. Will everything keep functioning?

Edited by LiveG

• Solution
27 minutes ago, LiveG said:

Thanks. 
Business-wise, I don't want to make any changes to my site until 1.1.2023.
I can't take the risk of crashing out. 
The real impact for not upgrading anything is only the lack of ipb support and security updates?. Will everything keep functioning?

Correct. Your site will remain functional however there will not be access to technical support until you’re running the latest version and you may miss critical security updates. 

It does need to be noted here that the real impact may be that if you have an issue, you are actually causing yourself more of a problem by having not updated. The warning is given in order to prompt action to find out if your 3rd party items are ready and to obtain updates if they arent. You could end up in a situation where you have an issue and find yourself having to upgrade to gain support, while not having prepared yourself. Or worse, find yourself in a situation where you end up compromised because of a security flaw that is found in PHP that isn't patched.

Of course this is up to yourself. Nobody can force you to upgrade. However, the above is the real impact.

• 1 month later...
On 9/27/2022 at 12:24 AM, Jim M said:

Would advise performing our software upgrade first then when things are functioning well, perform the PHP 8 upgrade. This way you can associate anything that goes wrong and troubleshoot that more effectively. 

I want to upgrade next week from 4.6.x to 4.7.x. Is this still your advice also with November update – software upgrade first and after that php8 upgrade?

Now that you MUST be on PHP8, you will want to upgrade PHP first then upgrade your IPB. Back when that was first posted, both versions were supported so it could be done that way. 

This is what I would do…

I would first review all of your third party resources… update anything that needs updated and disable anything else (at least temporarily).   

Switch back to a default theme

Upgrade to PHP8

Use the compatibility checker to make sure you have all of the required modules. 

Download the IPB files from the client area and upload them to your website. (Don’t use the auto updater.)

Visit domain.com/admin/upgrade 

One done review resources and tenable them along with theme. 

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, LiveG said:

Is it safe to upgrade to PHP8 and remain on Invision Community v4.71?

You can upgrade to PHP 8.0 or 8.1 and be on 4.7.1, yes. However, you would want to review your third-party applications, plugins, and theme(s) for compatibility.