Invision Community v5: An update, and next steps

I'm not sure how much help I'd be, but if you need to fill in some spots and no one else is a taker, I'd be more than happy to help out with the alpha testing.

Keen to try. This is going to be a major evolution of our (large) community and I would like to contribute my input and have a say on its direction (and shape) into the future, please.

Will it be a different cloud account for testing (and not my live site)? If yes, then I am looking forward to testing V5 😃

18 hours ago, Omri Amos said:

at "some point"? so we won't get V5 together with the cloud users?

I think Matt is simply saying that all users invited into the testing stage will only have a cloud version of V5 to try out. It's not about cloud customers versus classic customers.

3 hours ago, abobader said:

Oops, sorry, testing for cloud customer only now, then I am out, but sure like to test when it come to self hosting customers like me. 

Ditto. Seems like I’ve been waiting forever for the self-hosted beta, and now it might be July or August before I can move forward with v5. I’m moving on to the Laravel framework, I think. 

• Management
2 hours ago, Dreadknux said:

I think Matt is simply saying that all users invited into the testing stage will only have a cloud version of V5 to try out. It's not about cloud customers versus classic customers.

Yes this. I stated the reasons for this in my post. We're still building the back-end services to support building and releasing v5 as we'll need to keep building and releasing v4 also. We need different endpoints for licensing, bulletins, etc.

Waiting for that to be done will just delay testing further and there's a lot to test.

16 hours ago, Matt said:

Yes this. I stated the reasons for this in my post. We're still building the back-end services to support building and releasing v5 as we'll need to keep building and releasing v4 also. We need different endpoints for licensing, bulletins, etc.

Waiting for that to be done will just delay testing further and there's a lot to test.

Hi Matt,

I am not trying to be rude or putting down IPS software & team in any way, I am just here to voices my disappointed matters. Many of us old time users been supporting this software since day one, but as I see it, you keep pushing us out.

I will not bring many thing changes, for the self-hosted customers, but the last one from 2 years ago when the announcement for whom want to be use V5 need to change the subscription license to (full IPS package) 6 months or yearly one, I choose the yearly one, now after 2 years, we will not be able now to test the V5 bets as you explain the reason.

So the waiting I guess will be another year or so for us. Thanks.

• Management
On 6/4/2024 at 5:12 AM, abobader said:

I choose the yearly one, now after 2 years, we will not be able now to test the V5 bets as you explain the reason.

So the waiting I guess will be another year or so for us. Thanks.

I'm unsure how you've drawn that conclusion, I've explained the next steps and why we're doing it that way. It won't be "another year or so" before downloadable betas are available.

Current status:

The tagging blog has just been posted (it takes a fair while to get the videos and other assets together 😅 )

We found a few issues in v5 with IN_DEV off, which have been fixed this week and just need reviewing and testing. It's likely the limited alpha demo system will be ready next week now. I'll keep you updated.