Not remembering logins since 4.7..11 Upgrade

@Stuart Silvester

Patch installed but still not working!

Login iusse fixed => I can confirm.

But the banner for guests keeps popping up unintentionally!

For logged in Users:

• Cookie banner pops up for an part of a second which is really anoying. Happen ins Chrome/Edge with mobile view.

For guests:

• If anything else than {cookies} is added in the AdminCP as text, the banner pops up after every reload.
  • Using only {cookies} as content helps in this case.

Please fix and provide another patch.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, derpunker said:

@Stuart Silvester

Patch installed but still not working!

Login iusse fixed => I can confirm.

But the banner for guests keeps popping up unintentionally!

For logged in Users:

• Cookie banner pops up for an part of a second which is really anoying. Happen ins Chrome/Edge with mobile view.

For guests:

• If anything else than {cookies} is added in the AdminCP as text, the banner pops up after every reload.
  • Using only {cookies} as content helps in this case.

Please fix and provide another patch.

Thanks.

I suspect that's related to the other item you posted, As a work around you could use the standard cookies tag and translate the 'cookies_message' string instead: 

I have logged some information and we'll take a look at that next week. This patch was specifically to address the impacting appearance of not being logged in in some circumstances..

28 minutes ago, SeNioR- said:

@Stuart Silvester We understand that you are currently working on two versions 4.x and 5.x simultaneously, but please test the new release properly - before releasing it. Too many bugs and omissions for one release. 🙏 Have a nice weekend.

Exactly this version brought a lot of minor bugs but very difficult to function on the forum.

37 minutes ago, Joey_M said:

I'm experiencing the guest/login issue, despite installing the patch.

Have you also installed the patches' patch?

33 minutes ago, Grafidea said:

Exactly this version brought a lot of minor bugs but very difficult to function on the forum.

Test. Test again. Test further.

Some of these issues may have been found if Invision ate their own dog food (enabled on here the new functionality) but unfortunately you also have to do your own testing. If on Cloud, you are in a bind there, but if classically self-hosted then make use of a test site BEFORE you upgrade your main site.

1 hour ago, Stuart Silvester said:

I suspect that's related to the other item you posted, As a work around you could use the standard cookies tag and translate the 'cookies_message' string instead: 

Unfortunately no solution. Currently I can decide between a not working guest banner for guest (customized text with only on button) or permanent popping up banner for registered members (default text {cookies} with 2 buttons).

Other options are not possible and I have to decide which evil has lower impact for my community.

1 hour ago, SeNioR- said:

but please test the new release properly - before releasing it. Too many bugs and omissions for one release.

14 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Test. Test again. Test further.

Oh yes!!!

Quality management has completely failed here!!

1 minute ago, derpunker said:

Oh yes!!!

Quality management has completely failed here!!

You upgraded early too though so...

Not trying to win any points here. Point fingers wherever but at the end of the day, the decision to upgrade is your own and should always be based on your own testing. If on Cloud, let someone else suffer first. If self-hosted, test because you can.

I am sticking on 4.7.10 for the moment - I tested 4.7.11 beta 1, reported stuff i found, saw those were fixed in beta 2 and then final appeared. It's the weekend so I am not touching the final release.

Edited by Nathan Explosion

4 minutes ago, derpunker said:

When IPS releases a version, I expect it to be tested and to work like the previous one.
I am not a paying beta tester. 😉

Ha...you should stop expecting, because software has bugs regardless of the creator.

If you are someone running a site then should TEST the upgrade to see the effects it may have. If you don't then suffer the consequences.

My advice to you going forward would be that if you are not testing then wait a week before jumping in the pool.

Edited by Nathan Explosion

We shouldn’t have to worry about testing updates first, that’s why they have alpha, beta and release candidate versions. I can’t help but feel it’s more likely down to the ridiculous monthly update schedules, it’s a nightmare trying to keep up. It must also pressurise the whole system from security testing, QA, market place submissions.

Here's a couple of questions for everyone having the problem.  It's probably nothing, but the best way to eliminate possibilities is to consider them.

Who here has their community at https and who has it at http?  (secure vs non-secure)

Also, who is using (or not using) Cloudflare or some other proxy service?

I was having the same issue (finally managed to get the upgrade to go through) and noticed that Chrome was saying the site wasn't secure.  I looked at my conf file, changed it to be https and suddenly the issue went away.  My site is also proxied via Cloudflare.

2 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Have you also installed the patches' patch?

Tet. Test again. Test further.

Some of these issues may have been found if Invision ate their own dog food (enabled on here the new functionality) but unfortunately you also have to do your own testing. If on Cloud, you are in a bind there, but if classically self-hosted then make use of a test site BEFORE you upgrade your main site.

For me, beta is beta and stable is stable.  Not every forum owner is a programmer.  So IPS developers should keep this in mind.

9 minutes ago, Grafidea said:

For me, beta is beta and stable is stable.  Not every forum owner is a programmer.  So IPS developers should keep this in mind.

Absolutely my opinion!

Luckily I'm a developer and was able to change the IPS code in a way that the login for the users was working again.
Without knowing the IPS code in parts I would have been lost last night.

I would never use an alpha or beta version on a productive website, but I should be able to rely on a stable version. The cookies are basic functionality and they should be tested well in all possible configurations.

1 hour ago, Grafidea said:

So IPS developers should keep this in mind.

1 hour ago, derpunker said:

I would never use an alpha or beta version on a productive website, but I should be able to rely on a stable version. The cookies are basic functionality and they should be tested well in all possible configurations.

In my experience, the IPS staff tend to be very aware of the importance of quality and stability.  But they are still human and will sometimes make a mistake despite their best efforts.  It's something I keep in mind when I encounter an issue, as most issues tend to be minor and easy to fix.  Most issues aren't big enough to warrant a rapid response, such as minor bugs that can wait until the next update.  Then there are some that are more critical and a rapid response is needed.  Look at the patch that was released in response to this issue.  While it seems to not fix it for everyone, an effort was quickly and on the weekend.  This is an example of trying to get something out to try to fix the issue ASAP, vs spending a day or two testing it to make sure it works.  I prefer this when feasible as the sooner IPS gets feedback on it, the sooner they can work on it again if necessary.

Be glad that the IPS team actually listens to its clients.  There are some products where the company barely interacts with the community, much less pays much attention to feedback and issues (unless they are critical issues).