Not remembering logins since 4.7..11 Upgrade

Since updating to 4.7.11 earlier today members are reporting that they have to keep logging in despite ticking the remember me option.

I have replicated this myself on my iPhone - if I close safari completely and then open it the forum shows me visiting as a guest but as soon as I click on login or any other link then it logs me back in automatically.

It’s almost as if initially it ignores the saved cookies but once you click on something it works correctly?

Anybody else seeing anything like this?

Digging deeper - I noticed that system/Request/Request.php is one of the files updated in the patch released after 4.7..11 - reverting back to the version in 4.7.11 the issue is resolved.

It looks like a cookie issue with recreating the session - it doesn't seem to take on the first visit when the session cookie has expired or the browser closed but does work on the second click.

Reverting system/Request/Request.php seems to have resolved this so hopefully this helps you guys work out the issue and release an updated patch.

I'm sorry for all the posts - I didn't like running modified code and noticed one of the parts that seemed to be causing issues referenced the 'guest_terms_bar' setting so I put all the code back to standard and switched off 'Show terms of service confirmation or cookie bar to Guests?' and the issue has gone away.

I don't know whether this means this is an invision bug that they need to look into, a setting issue with our forum or a template issue. I did switch to the standard theme but the issue continued.

5 minutes ago, Stuart Silvester said:

Hi Grant,

Thanks for the updates. It looks like you have the Cookie Consent / Guest Terms bar completely disabled, is that correct?

I do now and the issue goes away.

With it enabled the fault occurs - it doesn’t think the user is logged in when starting a new session (browser closed / opened or session expired) - on the second visit of the new session it does log the user in so the cookies are working it’s just the first visit shows then logged out.

2 minutes ago, Grant_B said:

I do now and the issue goes away.

With it enabled the fault occurs - it doesn’t think the user is logged in when starting a new session (browser closed / opened or session expired) - on the second visit of the new session it does log the user in so the cookies are working it’s just the first visit shows then logged out.

Perfect, thank you for the follow up. Do you use a CDN such as Cloudfront or Cloudflare(that will cache pages based on the cache-control headers)?

I've made some notes and will further test this.

No - nothing like that.

I don’t understand the code well enough so this might be talking nonsense but… in the new function added to request it checks the logged in users language in order to check the guest terms bar value - if this is called before the user session is initiated because it hasn’t yet got to that cookie will it stop it getting initiated later on in the process flow?

10 hours ago, Grant_B said:

It’s almost as if initially it ignores the saved cookies but once you click on something it works correctly?

Anybody else seeing anything like this?

Yes, I see the same. 

• Close browser to end the current session
  • Open the community.
    Result: Site is shown as a guest page with cookie bar and logged out user
  • Clicking any link as guest then finally logs me in. 

Personally, I haven't noticed a problem with logging out (yet), but when I uncheck the "Remember me" and refresh the page, this field is still selected. Maybe it's supposed to be like that, I don't know, but it wasn't like that before.

BTW: Has the option of "optional" cookies been removed? Because I no longer see it.

Edited by SeNioR-

Same observation for me. .... and the users are already complaining about this.

Additionnally, I noticed that accepting terms as a guest doesn't have any effect. As soon as I navigate to e.g. a subcategory, the banner pops up again even I have accepted it before.

This bus needs to be fixed directly. Waiting for the next montly release is no option here!

The cookies seems to be available but handled wrongly during the first load of the page.

• Close all browser instances
  • Open browser in normal mode (not incognito)
  • Navigate to the IPS site
  • => not logged in
  • Click on any link inside the IPS side so that the side reloads
  • => logged in

Reproducible in localhost environment with all customizations disabled.

Enabling the DEV-Mode changes the behavior and the login is working as expected.

System cache cleared, but no change.

Latest IPS 4.7.11 is installed.

Edited by derpunker

14 hours ago, Grant_B said:

Reverting system/Request/Request.php seems to have resolved this so hopefully this helps you guys work out the issue and release an updated patch.

Could you please share the delta so that I can change it in my community too?

I would like to have a weekend without defect reports 😉

30 minutes ago, SeNioR- said:

For me, after rejecting cookies, the banner appears for 1 second each time the page is reloaded. Irritating 😖

I have seen this too, but only in Chrome/Edge with mobile view.

This behavior was changeable with using more than {cookies} in the hint text for guests.

Sorry to say this, but the latest IPS update is really buggy. 😞

I also have this problem, it keeps me and other users logged out from time to time. Version 4.7.11 patch 1

The problem seems to have started after the patch. Every now and then a cookie notification pops up and I'm logged out, I have to log in again.

Edited by Grafidea