Firefox Problems

Hi,

since the Update to 4.6.2 a few user have problems when using Firefox.

They can't post Threads. There comes no error message or something else, they klick to submit and nothing happens.

every day 2-3 user posts new, that this Problem starts. At this time the only solution is to reinstall Firefox. 

I guess, that it seems a firefox Problem and not an Invision Problem, but i hope there is a possibility to support my users in finding a solution.

What I don't understand is why the problem just occurs at some point? 

It doesn't always happen either. Users can post on one day, but not on the next.

Greetings from Germany

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2021 at 11:57 AM, tigerhome de said:

Hi,

They can't post Threads. There comes no error message or something else, they klick to submit and nothing happens.

every day 2-3 user posts new, that this Problem starts. At this time the only solution is to reinstall Firefox. 

I guess, that it seems a firefox Problem and not an Invision Problem, but i hope there is a possibility to support my users in finding a solution.

It doesn't always happen either. Users can post on one day, but not on the next.

Greetings from Germany

I suggest that those members clear their browser cache on their device. I use Firefox on all my devices and do not have issues, so it could be a cache issue maybe?

2 hours ago, TDBF said:

I suggest that those members clear their browser cache on their device. I

My suggestion to them is to use chrome and they have been quiet ever since.. 🙂 But it is hard to get a grip of this error... many users complain, but none has posted an actual error.

We have told them to press Ctrl-SHIFT-K in ff so we get an actual error to work with..

On 8/7/2021 at 10:23 AM, Kjell Iver Johansen said:

My suggestion to them is to use chrome and they have been quiet ever since.. 🙂 But it is hard to get a grip of this error... many users complain, but none has posted an actual error.

We have told them to press Ctrl-SHIFT-K in ff so we get an actual error to work with..

I installed latest Invision update on Saturday and have a member using Firefox who could no longer post.  I gave her this information about Ctrl-SHIFT-K and she got the error.  Now what she should she do?   

58 minutes ago, beardsleydee@gmail.com said:

I installed latest Invision update on Saturday and have a member using Firefox who could no longer post.  I gave her this information about Ctrl-SHIFT-K and she got the error.  Now what she should she do?   

I think the best thing to do is to post the error from the Network tab - bottom - and post an image of that.

I have one user reporting a cookie error «l  Some cookies are misusing the recommended “SameSite“ attribute» linking to

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Headers/Set-Cookie/SameSite

18 hours ago, beardsleydee@gmail.com said:

image.png.56f23f6a0aaba2d10b8dd85da2359923.png

These are warnings, not errors from what I can read here. By themselves, shouldn’t be causing any issues.

SameSite cookies as well should not be causing any errors with posting.

I’m on my phone at the moment but can look at this more when I get to a PC. If you have a specific problem to your community and can’t reproduce here on ours, submitting a ticket may be beneficial for us. 

The challenge is there are hundreds of different browser versions currently being used by desktop and handheld device users throughout the world.

Some folks stick with versions that have been around for years whereas some folks update their browsers on a weekly or daily basis. 

International Standards exist and are periodically updated to include new functionality, or they may make changes or deprecations.

Few browsers support any version of the International Standards 100% or it may take several releases before they reach that milestone.

Some browser versions have been released over the years to support various functionality of an upcoming International Standard’s release in order to get a jump on their competitors.

Browser extensions “could” materially alter the browser experience.

Each user expects every site they visit to work "as expected". 

Your “as expected” may be materially different from your members and those of IPS. Some releases may fall more into the “as expected” territory than others as sites continually change and some changes might not play well with a particular browser or version as they may or may not adhere 100% to the International Standards or they may add functionality outside the strictures of any standards making it difficult to track and make allowances for.

Unfortunately, that's the price we pay for "not" having one company exert control of the internet via “their” browser.

Part of the reason for so many different browsers and constant stream of new versions is to try to be one step ahead of those individuals, companies (or nation states) bent on engaging in various nefarious schemes and to allow sites to offer ever more engaging features.

It’s important to set expectations with members that using browser extensions, browsers too new or too old might not yield an “as expected” experience on your site. 

“If” problems are encountered, proper troubleshooting and documentation from members is an absolute necessity in order for IPS to determine if “their” code could be improved upon to play well with that particular browser.

@Jim M It might be helpful if IPS provided a troubleshooting matrix we could forward to users to garner requisite details required for a truly actionable trouble-ticket submission.

Edited by Chris Anderson

Unfortunately, this is not something I can reproduce. Please note we only support the default browser on a device, e.g. Android is Chrome and iOS is Safari. If you're using Firefox on a computer and encountering an issue, please submit a ticket as we will need to look at this on your community.

1 hour ago, Chris Anderson said:

It might be helpful if IPS provided a troubleshooting matrix we could forward to users to garner requisite details required for a truly actionable trouble-ticket submission.

You're more than welcome to submit a ticket if there is something specific with a member. A technician will then be able to tell you what we need from the user to move forward. Typically, if this is related to a browser, device, or OS, we require that information so gathering that prior will be helpful. Other than that, it would really be a case by case basis what the technician may require next, if at all, from the user.

38 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Please note we only support the default browser on a device, e.g. Android is Chrome and iOS is Safari

@Jim M Where do you document which browsers (and versions) you "officially" support on this site?  I would think its an important detail that prospective and established clients should be made aware of (and communicate to their members) outside of being mentioned in random forum postings that may not be read by all.  Browser support would be a great inclusion in the FAQ sections located here:

and

Invision Community self-hosted licenses - Invision Community

Edited by Chris Anderson

JQMIGRATE: Migrate is installed with logging active, version 3.3.0 root_library.js:10:16
JQMIGRATE: jQuery.fn.bind() is deprecated root_library.js:12:302
console.trace() root_library.js:12:373
    migrateWarn https://www.fjellforum.no/uploads/javascript_global/root_library.js?v=06a44e07581628966824:12
    bind https://www.fjellforum.no/uploads/javascript_global/root_library.js?v=06a44e07581628966824:49
    bind https://www.fjellforum.no/uploads/javascript_global/root_library.js?v=06a44e07581628966824:56
    initCore https://www.fjellforum.no/uploads/javascript_global/root_library.js?v=06a44e07581628966824:56
    init https://www.fjellforum.no/uploads/javascript_global/root_library.js?v=06a44e07581628966824:56
    <anonymous> https://www.fjellforum.no/uploads/javascript_global/root_library.js?v=06a44e07581628966824:56
    <anonymous> https://www.fjellforum.no/uploads/javascript_global/root_library.js?v=06a44e07581628966824:56
JQMIGRATE: JQMIGRATE: jQuery.cssProps is deprecated root_library.js:12:302
console.trace() root_library.js:12:373
    migrateWarn https://www.fjellforum.no/uploads/javascript_global/root_library.js?v=06a44e07581628966824:12
    set https://www.fjellforum.no/uploads/javascript_global/root_library.js?v=06a44e07581628966824:32
    <anonymous> https://www.fjellforum.no/uploads/javascript_global/root_library.js?v=06a44e07581628966824:60
    <anonymous> https://www.fjellforum.no/uploads/javascript_global/root_library.js?v=06a44e07581628966824:60
This is a browser feature intended for developers. Do not paste any code here given to you by someone else. It may compromise your account or have other negative side effects. root_library.js:71:364
Some cookies are misusing the recommended “SameSite“ attribute 2
The resource at “https://www.fjellforum.no/applications/core/interface/ckeditor/ckeditor/skins/ips/editor.css?t=L6SF” preloaded with link preload was not used within a few seconds. Make sure all attributes of the preload tag are set correctly. 37596-den-ultimate-turkniv-finnes-den
The resource at “https://www.fjellforum.no/applications/core/interface/font/fontawesome-webfont.woff2?v=4.7.0” preloaded with link preload was not used within a few seconds. Make sure all attributes of the preload tag are set correctly. 37596-den-ultimate-turkniv-finnes-den
Synchronous XMLHttpRequest on the main thread is deprecated because of its detrimental effects to the end user’s experience. For more help http://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/ root_library.js:2:81766
Instantiating FileInput... 37596-den-ultimate-turkniv-finnes-den:1:13541
Trying runtime: html5 37596-den-ultimate-turkniv-finnes-den:1:13541
Object { accept: (1) […], multiple: true, required_caps: {…}, container: ul.ipsList_reset.ipsFlex.ipsFlex-ai:center.ipsFlex-fw:wrap.ipsGap:2, runtime_order: "html5,flash,silverlight,html4", preferred_caps: {…}, swf_url: "applications/core/interface/plupload/Movie.swf", xap_url: "applications/core/interface/plupload/Movie.xap", name: "comment_value_upload", browse_button: li#ips_uid_2737_7.ipsType_normal.ipsFlex-flex:11 }
37596-den-ultimate-turkniv-finnes-den:1:13541
    default mode: browser 37596-den-ultimate-turkniv-finnes-den:1:13541
    selected mode: browser 37596-den-ultimate-turkniv-finnes-den:1:13541
Runtime 'html5' initialized 37596-den-ultimate-turkniv-finnes-den:1:13541
Instantiating FileDrop... 37596-den-ultimate-turkniv-finnes-den:1:13541
Trying runtime: html5 37596-den-ultimate-turkniv-finnes-den:1:13541
Object { accept: (1) […], required_caps: {…}, runtime_order: "html5,flash,silverlight,html4", preferred_caps: {…}, swf_url: "applications/core/interface/plupload/Movie.swf", xap_url: "applications/core/interface/plupload/Movie.xap", drop_zone: div#elEditorDrop_comment_value_upload.ipsComposeArea_dropZone.ipsComposeArea_dropZoneSmall.ipsClearfix, container: div#elEditorDrop_comment_value_upload.ipsComposeArea_dropZone.ipsComposeArea_dropZoneSmall.ipsClearfix }
37596-den-ultimate-turkniv-finnes-den:1:13541
    default mode: browser 37596-den-ultimate-turkniv-finnes-den:1:13541
    selected mode: browser 37596-den-ultimate-turkniv-finnes-den:1:13541
Runtime 'html5' initialized 37596-den-ultimate-turkniv-finnes-den:1:13541

Users are still complaining about this issue - does this error from firefox above tell you anything @Jim M 

9 hours ago, Kjell Iver Johansen said:

Users are still complaining about this issue - does this error from firefox above tell you anything @Jim M 

These are just warnings as well from the library which are intended. If you submit a ticket, we can take a closer peak at if there is something going on in the core. 

@Kjell Iver Johansen and @tigerhome de . Please could you check with the users who are having this issue the following, so we can see if we can get to the bottom of the issue for you guys.

1. What version of firefox is being used in cases where this is happening?
  2. What browser plugins are being used on those versions
  3. Also ask specifically if they are using "Ghostery", as this has been mentioned above by @Simarilius as a possible cause, so it would be good to rule this out.

As much information as you can get from the users as possible would be helpful. 

On 8/20/2021 at 3:34 PM, Marc Stridgen said:

As much information as you can get from the users as possible would be helpful. 

This is what I get from one of the users. 

Firefox 91.0.1 (32-bit)

My addons are not involved as I get the same error when I re-start Firefox in "Trouble Shooting mode" (aka safemode) - where addons are not loaded.

Also note that in previous attempts I got the same error with Chrome (v 92.0.4515.159 -32-bit), when I switched to it when "Firefox" failed.  
When posting this message, Firefox failed again, but this time Chrome worked for me. 
Btw I run Chrome without any addons/pluggings.  

He needs to copy between the browsers. Very strange indeed.

I do not run google ads btw.

Edited by Kjell Iver Johansen

Ask them what security setting they use and make sure they use standard and not strict.

I only use FF and I have never had any issues other than my own stupidity 🙂

On 7/20/2021 at 12:57 PM, tigerhome de said:

Hi,

Greetings from Germany

Are you by any chance using Redis for cache and Data storage?

I had this issue last night after a user reported it to me.  I don't use FF as a rule and only use Chrome or Edge.  However, I did find that if I changed the theme to default in Chrome and went back to FF everything worked as it should.  I then changed back to my usual theme and everything worked in FF as it should.  I'm completely at a loss as to why this would happen, but I'm now giving people who use FF the option to try this and let me know if anything changes for them - I'll let you all know 🙂