Auto Welcome Support

Currently, when we create a topic on auto welcome on behalf of the member, we agree that the 'notify me' and therefore the 'following' are negative, right. In other words, the member is not notified of replies? If that's the case, which I believe it is because they do not show as following their post, it makes it difficult to alert them of the post.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

PS. Still lobbying for changing hours to minutes on the posting delay 😥

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2020 at 10:16 AM, iacas said:

@Giray, this implies (to me) that this is possible if you have access to the files, but @Mike John hasn't replied with that patch yet.

PM sent.

On 2/15/2020 at 9:29 AM, Giray said:

Currently, when we create a topic on auto welcome on behalf of the member, we agree that the 'notify me' and therefore the 'following' are negative, right. In other words, the member is not notified of replies? If that's the case, which I believe it is because they do not show as following their post, it makes it difficult to alert them of the post.

Yes correct. But could probably add support for this. Do you have auto follow enabled for the forum or new members?

I had even crazier idea but hear me out. For a large community which are full of features. It might be even more better to have not only 1 auto welcome email but a few of those emails during a period of time. Because everything I want to say in one email still might overwhelm the new user.

So what if 1 email can be send after a few minutes of his registration with one text. Then after X days or hours - another one explaining more in depth things about the community. Then again after another X days or hours - another email with even more details. And up to max of 5 emails in such fashion. Each one focusing on more in depth features of the community.

What do you guys think of such approach? @Joel R @Mike John @Giray

• 1 month later...
On 5/21/2019 at 12:18 PM, Dean_ said:

I don’t get any welcome posts for members signing up using Twitter or Facebook.

Sometimes when a member registers it double posts, but not all the time, there was a difference of around 6 minutes between posts. Maybe a tasks issue?

On 6/11/2019 at 5:08 PM, Dean_ said:

It's set too;
Send immediately after validation.

On 8/19/2019 at 4:29 PM, Dean_ said:

Just to updated, Twitter and FB are not being recognised with auto welcome on mine at all.

I seem to be facing this issue again. I've changed from no validation to email validation and now when someone registers, no welcome post is added?

On 4/13/2020 at 11:26 PM, Dean_ said:

I seem to be facing this issue again. I've changed from no validation to email validation and now when someone registers, no welcome post is added?

What do you have set for your topic settings? Any other plugins or apps that might interact with registrations as well?

7 hours ago, Mike John said:

What do you have set for your topic settings? Any other plugins or apps that might interact with registrations as well?

I went through all the settings and saved it and it seems to be working, be awaiting for someone to join using Twitter or Facebook and I will update the post.

No other plugins or app have been installed.

22 hours ago, Mike John said:

Let me know if it happens again and if so can you take a picture of your settings.

Happened with a recent Facebook login: ( Ticked: Send immediately after validation. )
Capture.thumb.JPG.41c3d755fc2559ba49743569c63ad692.JPG

I found that I unticked pin topic, yet I found it ticked again....?

Edited by Dean_
On 4/21/2020 at 9:26 AM, Dean_ said:

Happened with a recent Facebook login: ( Ticked: Send immediately after validation. )

It was just for this login or other members affected as well? If it's not crucial for immediate alerts, can you try the time delay? I just want to get an idea if the various hooks aren't working here or something wrong with the topic alert itself.

3 minutes ago, Mike John said:

It was just for this login or other members affected as well? If it's not crucial for immediate alerts, can you try the time delay? I just want to get an idea if the various hooks aren't working here or something wrong with the topic alert itself.

Waiting on someone joining through Twitter. Normal registration is unaffected from my most recent sign up. So it must be a social issue again. But it doesn’t make sense as to why they stopped worked since a change in settings.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey @Mike John two questions for you.

1. How can I make it so the auto welcome email shows a white background instead of the grey background used in the email wrapper? I guess what's it doing is telling the email not to include a background color, so it's showing as grey because that's what's in the email wrapper?

290155183_ScreenShot2020-05-11at4_13_02PM.thumb.png.7beab34e3fbf2ca72fe2611968296653.png

2. How can I disable the default IPB email 'Your registration is complete!' from sending? I'd prefer just to email the member once versus twice upon validating their account 🙂 
    This is what it looks like when registering an account. One email is the auto welcome, the other is IPB's default.  

2098412664_ScreenShot2020-05-11at4_14_39PM.thumb.png.6bdc4b010bf35581212840c79524b898.png

Any help would be awesome. Thank you!
2 hours ago, breatheheavy said:

How can I make it so the auto welcome email shows a white background instead of the grey background used in the email wrapper? I guess what's it doing is telling the email not to include a background color, so it's showing as grey because that's what's in the email wrapper?

I'll need to fix that but for now, if you open acp > look and feel tab > appearance > emails > new member welcome.

Find and remove:

style='background: #f5f5f5'

2 hours ago, breatheheavy said:

How can I disable the default IPB email 'Your registration is complete!' from sending? I'd prefer just to email the member once versus twice upon validating their account 🙂 

You'll need to check with IPS but didn't see an option from a quick glance.

3 hours ago, Mike John said:

I'll need to fix that but for now, if you open acp > look and feel tab > appearance > emails > new member welcome.

Find and remove:

style='background: #f5f5f5'

You'll need to check with IPS but didn't see an option from a quick glance.

Thanks for responding! @Mike John

IPB says there isn't a method to disabling their default email and recommend I disable the Auto Welcome email (I still plan on using it for PMing the new user, though).

I'm just not sure how to edit my copy into their default email template. 😩

This is the default IPB email template: 

{$email->language->addToStack("email_reg_complete", FALSE, array( 'sprintf' => array( \IPS\Settings::i()->board_name ) ) )}{{if $member->members_pass_hash}} {$email->language->addToStack("email_reg_complete_pass")}{{endif}}

<br />
<br />
<a href='{setting="base_url"}' style="color: #ffffff; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', helvetica, sans-serif; text-decoration: none; font-size: 12px; background: {setting="email_color"}; line-height: 32px; padding: 0 10px; display: inline-block; border-radius: 3px;">{$email->language->addToStack("email_go_to_site", FALSE, array( 'sprintf' => array( \IPS\Settings::i()->board_name ) ) )}</a>

<br /><br />
<em style='color: #8c8c8c'>— {setting="board_name"}</em>

And this is what I want inside of it:

me-guests.pngWelcome to BreatheHeavy.com's forum, Exhale

My name is Jordan Miller, the community leader of Exhale. I want to personally thank you for joining. Exhale is a special community of pop music and culture fans, a safe space away from social media and a place where your thoughts and opinions matter. I have a sneaking suspicion it'll become your second home like it has become mine. 🙏

Since you're a new member, you might feel a tad hesitant to leave a comment or start a new topic, but no time for shy!

It's super easy to create new topics, but I created a little tutorial for you just in case.  

The FAQ page offers a few other need-to-knows. 

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out via the support form.

By the way, I'll be sending you a few more emails over the next couple of days to make sure everything runs smoothly. 😊

Thanks again for joining Exhale. Looking forward to chatting with you! 

– Jordan
BreatheHeavy.com | Exhale founder & community leader

If anyone could help a brother out I would be really grateful 🙏 

Edited by Jordan Miller
19 hours ago, breatheheavy said:

Thanks for responding! @Mike John

IPB says there isn't a method to disabling their default email and recommend I disable the Auto Welcome email (I still plan on using it for PMing the new user, though).

I'm just not sure how to edit my copy into their default email template. 😩

This is the default IPB email template: 

{$email->language->addToStack("email_reg_complete", FALSE, array( 'sprintf' => array( \IPS\Settings::i()->board_name ) ) )}{{if $member->members_pass_hash}} {$email->language->addToStack("email_reg_complete_pass")}{{endif}}

<br />
<br />
<a href='{setting="base_url"}' style="color: #ffffff; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', helvetica, sans-serif; text-decoration: none; font-size: 12px; background: {setting="email_color"}; line-height: 32px; padding: 0 10px; display: inline-block; border-radius: 3px;">{$email->language->addToStack("email_go_to_site", FALSE, array( 'sprintf' => array( \IPS\Settings::i()->board_name ) ) )}</a>

<br /><br />
<em style='color: #8c8c8c'>— {setting="board_name"}</em>

And this is what I want inside of it:

If anyone could help a brother out I would be really grateful 🙏 

Nm team I figured it all out and it's looking 🔥 

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of suggestions for this great mod.

1.) Where you are able to pin the topic, perhaps there could be a certain time you want the topic pinned for.

2.) On a similar note. Possible to have this topic pinned globally throughout the forums like an announcement.

On 5/22/2020 at 11:22 PM, Mercury5 said:

1.) Where you are able to pin the topic, perhaps there could be a certain time you want the topic pinned for.

2.) On a similar note. Possible to have this topic pinned globally throughout the forums like an announcement.

1. I can add a pin option in the future but pinning a topic for a set time would probably require a new plugin as IPB doesn't natively support that.
  2. Again this kinda would require a new plugin to make topics support that.

Just wanted to say, many thanks for the plugin, it's a fantastic idea.

I do however have one small issue, the post to existing topic feature, for some reason, only worked once, it hasn't posted anything since.

We have our forum set to quick registration, with email validation (We don't use social networking for logins/registrations)

It's set to Add post reply, welcome topic is set, author is set, the post message is set.

I've just set it to delay to 1 hour, just to test if it has any effect, registered a new account and validated my email, but nothing again.

The PM to user works perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...