Invision Community v5: An update, and next steps

On 6/4/2024 at 12:12 AM, abobader said:

I choose the yearly one, now after 2 years, we will not be able now to test the V5 bets as you explain the reason.

Matt did not say that self-hosted customers won't be able to test IPB5.  It said that those who test it will be testing from a cloud-hosted instance.  This means you won't be able to upgrade your live site to v5, but you should not be doing that PERIOD right now.  It does means anyone testing would get a brand new, fresh instance cloud hosted instance to login to the ACP and play with settings, etc.  

Later in the development process the self-hosted download version would come out...  but that does not mean you could not test the hosted version in the mean time.   

Wasn't going to raise my hand with testing since I was the guy that rarely got picked for team sports or am the type to win sweepstakes or contests, but I'd love to test. In fact, I'd be happy to help someone else who gets picked test if that's an option. I'm just eager to take it for a spin and understand the new system and features and get a feel for how I might be able to make the most of it all.

That said, we are now on a cloud subscription and was planning to upgrade to the next tear shortly after upgrading. I've also been running a forum since 1999, with most of the years being on Invision if that helps anyone qualify the decision to pick us to test. 

Just sayin'...

Either way, I can't wait until we can relaunch with the new version and anything I can do to help with that - sign me up.

• Management

Update: The alpha system has been built, and all the initial teething problems using Invision Community v5 without IN_DEV have been fixed. As mentioned above, currently all JS/themes and CSS is built on demand, and rebuilt on demand (often quite a lot). In v5 it's built once per version and stored in a new location, so there were some teething issues with that.

We'll test this new system internally today and if all goes well, we can start getting people in tomorrow.

• Management

I've invited about 25 people in for the first few days. This is just to control the flow of reports in the early days. We expect there to be a lot, from the new demo system through to the product. 

Once things are a bit more stable, we'll invite everyone else in that has requested to test.

Thanks all!

1 hour ago, Matt said:

How's your Thursday going?

• Breakfast, kids, etc ...
  • Go to work
  • Check what is your local time 
  • Saw 5h16 ... 😑
  • Waiting
  • Saw 8h16 ...😶

Could contain: Page, Text, File, Webpage

• Waiting
  • Saw 😮
    Could contain: Scoreboard, Letter, Text, Page
  • Check email
  • Check notifications
  • Check forums categrories
  • Nothing 🙄
  • Still waiting for something 😂

I have a community now, but was planning on starting a new one when V5 is released. I would love to be considered for testing as well, as I've been preparing how I would like to set up the new forum with rankings, achievements, customization, etc.

Thank you. 🙏