Voice message feature

kmk

By adding such a possibility, you a priori kill the forum in the understanding for which it is intended.

This is not WhatsAPP or Discord, this is the Message Board, which was originally conceived like this.

It's the same as buying a motorcycle in order to convert it into a car... An idiotic solution.

On 11/13/2021 at 5:28 PM, IP-Gamers said:

It's the same as buying a motorcycle in order to convert it into a car... An idiotic solution.

No you're on a wrong way to discuss about it like your comparison.

My approach is not to replace written content with spoken texts. The written text is still the most important in my forum.

Voice messages are only a useful addition to convey emotions, intonations, rhythm, etc. 

On 11/11/2021 at 1:33 PM, MythonPonty said:

In addition to texts that are written, it would be a good extension if users can also publish the poem they have read.

I thought uploading and playing audio files was implemented in one of the latest releases? Simply record the spoken word version of a poem with a smartphone and upload it as attachment to the posts?

5 minutes ago, Darth Vortex said:

I thought uploading and playing audio files was implemented in one of the latest releases? Simply record the spoken word version of a poem with a smartphone and upload it as attachment to the posts?

That's the logical way of doing it - but then you get to the "make it easier" element of just clicking a button on the site, having it begin the audio/video recording functionality on the device, and then when the recording finishes the file is automatically uploaded to the content.

I actually did a POC of this a few months ago as a potential add-on to my HTML5 player but I decided not to proceed with it further because I could see that it would be a pain in the behind to provide support for it.

11 minutes ago, MythonPonty said:

I would probably have been the only one to buy it.

There were a few people requesting this around the site so it might have been a popular one - but I couldn't get past the thoughts on codec compatibility issues, and various other potential problems that came to my mind.

See video for the POC (you guys get to hear my dulcet tones)

If another developer wants to take this on then I'm happy to share the code I have.

Edited by Nathan Explosion

I agree with the commentors that this wouldn't be welcomed by admins or users to replace traditional forums. The inclusion of audio might be a welcome addition if it was truly an value-add to certain segments of a community and their use was kept to an absolute bare minimum. An audio "here", an audio "there", but NOT an audio "everywhere".

If this kind of functionality were added by IPS or a marketplace developer, I imagine it would be permission based, disabled by default and upload size limits in place to help manage storage space and minimize the impact on the server's CPU.

Edited by Chris Anderson

On 12/3/2021 at 11:32 AM, CiberBob said:

have you made any progress on the idea of releasing a plug-in?

Just in case this was directed at me, as I put up the proof-of-concept information, then the answer is no - at this time, I have no intention to progress that POC to an application or plugin. I am still happy to pass on the POC code to another developer if they wish to take it on.

Also, maybe get in touch with the developer of this to see if it's possible for them to take the concept of this and implement something for other applications?

• 2 months later...
On 12/6/2021 at 11:34 AM, Nathan Explosion said:

Also, maybe get in touch with the developer of this to see if it's possible for them to take the concept of this and implement something for other applications?

this plugin only works with Chat+, and there are no plans to integrate it to the regular forum ! 

@onlyME

Maybe something you could do ? 

• 5 months later...
On 12/6/2021 at 10:34 AM, Nathan Explosion said:

at this time, I have no intention to progress that POC to an application or plugin.

I'll regret this...I got bored and I've POKED the POC a bit...

Audio...

With added video too...

Edited by Nathan Explosion