Voice message feature

kmk

19 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Previous videos removed...here's a more up-to-date version:

Would be more straightforward when introduce the audio file name, it automatically post it as topic title too. 

In case of reply, the file name is posted as reply. 

With that will more organized and searchable the files, topics and replies??? 🤔 

1 minute ago, kmk said:

Would be more straightforward when introduce the audio file name, it automatically post it as topic title too. 

In case of reply, the file name is posted as reply. 

With that will more organized and searchable the files, topics and replies???

If I decide to go beyond a proof of concept then I will be seeking input - at this time, none required.

Right, I have decided to go ahead with this one, as the concept is now proven and I have started adding stuff in to the mix.

I will not be taking suggestions for features at this time - I have a design that I will be working towards, and new features will be added at my discretion.

Note: this one won't be cheap.

Edited by Nathan Explosion

Why don't make this HUGE improvement a core feature? @Nathan Explosion could work with IPS team! What do you think? Audio and video could be an alternative to text on the whole Community, for private message, comments, forums, etc.

And would be amazing to let users get advantage of services like AWS to compress the files uploaded to certain community pattern for more compatibility and less space on disk.

6 hours ago, sobrenome said:

Audio and video could be an alternative to text on the whole Community, for private message, comments, forums, etc.

And would be amazing to let users get advantage of services like AWS to compress the files uploaded to certain community pattern for more compatibility and less space on disk.

Agreed 👌 Love where this is headed 🙂 

• 2 weeks later...

Time to expand out the testing (thanks to @MythonPonty for assistance so far)

Note the following:

1. Testing will be done on my own test site, not your own site.

2. I have a specific set of tests I would like performed, and instructions will be provided on the test site - if they aren't followed then you will lose access to do the testing.

3. If interested, send me a PM.

4. Sending a PM doesn't guarantee that you will be used as a tester.

First of all, thank you to those who were able to test the application. Here is the current state of play...

The application will be released, however it will only be for the recording of audio in its initial state.

Why? Because audio doesn't provide as many headaches as video does, from the point of view of Codecs. I am not willing to support "a member recorded this on the MacBook, but somebody with an Android 8 device with version XYZ of Chrome can't see the video but they hear the audio" issues at this time because it is not something I can control. (Note: replace 'Macbook' and 'Android' and 'Chrome' with anything of your choice...the concern still stands)

So, what next?

"(NE) Media Recorder" will be released soon. When? Soon. Any further ETA than that? Yes, when I have time to make it sooner.

What about video at a later point?

That ultimately depends on take-up of the application. I am going to be brutally honest here and say that purchases of recent items I have put up here, as well as older resources, don't exactly make me confident that I can recoup the time I have put into this, at a price that is affordable for people to buy.

If it proves popular then my plan for adding video is to provide a plugin to the application, which will allow you (and me) to determine more details about the video codec situation out there. Assuming that shows that it is a goer, then the functionality provided by the plugin will be added to the application.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...