Is it safe to upgrade to 4.6.4? Did an error occur?

Hi, if it answers your question, I was able to upgrade from 4.6.3 to 4.6.4 correctly this time via the internal upgrade facility. First time that's worked on 4.6 for me.

All the bugs are still present though, 4.6 should still be in beta testing IMHO.

I still have a locked task coming back to haunt me every time I unlock it from 4.5.4.2 for RSS imports, even though I deleted the actual feed import back in 4.5.4.2!

13437E87-AD1E-4DD0-AB66-1AFAD4164574.thumb.jpeg.569671c3f6b8e0fc70ab938761ac20d0.jpeg

Uploading 1920x1080 photos into the Gallery, is buggy as hell, a truly horrendous experience. I have plenty of spare RAM available, 40 cores on a 6GB VPS that barely ticks over in terms of load. I'm not uploading straight to S3, and PHP settings and PHP memory all fine. I've been trying to upload 340 photos that 4.6.2 lost on S3 storage and it's taking days, because on 4.6.3 and now still on 4.6.4 it sometimes works, but mostly it fails on the progress bar at 5% when processing them, even if I do just 10 at a time.

I try again and it might work, next batch will fail 3 or 4 times times, then work again. It just suddenly aborts processing them and returns me to the Gallery, with 1 or 2 images having uploaded, which I then have to delete as they are not in the order intended, not that Gallery can sort them correctly anyway. It's agony.

If I try more 20 at a time, I risk more time consuming failures but also I suddenly get dozens of pop up error modals, one for each image I think, and have to abandon the tab:

43FB1E51-4CC2-4B66-B81E-D2F80497EF60.jpeg.b87d411ca6786e10f9efe906f99d7a05.jpeg

Honestly, it feels like when you start using it for more than half an hour, barely anything seems to work reliably. I've never known a release like 4.6, aside maybe perhaps the original v4 release, maybe.

I honestly wish BFarber was still at IPS, because he would have been all over this before this unstable release got out of the door.

Edited by The Old Man

2 minutes ago, The Old Man said:

Hi, if it answers your question, I was able to upgrade from 4.6.3 to 4.6.4 correctly this time via the internal upgrade facility. First time that's worked on 4.6 for me.

All the bugs are still present though, 4.6 should still be in beta testing IMHO.

I still have a locked task coming back to haunt me every time I unlock it from 4.5.4.2 for RSS imports, even though I deleted the actual feed import back in 4.5.4.2!

13437E87-AD1E-4DD0-AB66-1AFAD4164574.thumb.jpeg.569671c3f6b8e0fc70ab938761ac20d0.jpeg

Uploading 1920x1080 photos into the Gallery, is buggy as hell, a truly horrendous experience. I have plenty of spare RAM available, 40 cores on a 6GB VPS that barely ticks over in terms of load. I'm not uploading straight to S3, and PHP settings and PHP memory all fine. I've been trying to upload 340 photos that 4.6.2 lost on S3 storage and it's taking days, because on 4.6.3 and now still on 4.6.4 it sometimes works, but mostly it fails on the progress bar at 5% when processing them, even if I do just 10 at a time.

I try again and it might work, next batch will fail 3 or 4 times times, then work again. It just suddenly aborts processing them and returns me to the Gallery, with 1 or 2 images having uploaded, which I then have to delete as they are not in the order intended, not that Gallery can sort them correctly anyway. It's agony.

If I try more 20 at a time, I risk more time consuming failures but also I suddenly get dozens of pop up error modals, one for each image I think, and have to abandon the tab:

43FB1E51-4CC2-4B66-B81E-D2F80497EF60.jpeg.b87d411ca6786e10f9efe906f99d7a05.jpeg

Honestly, it feels like when you start using it for more than half an hour, barely anything seems to work reliably. I've never known a release like 4.6, aside maybe perhaps the original v4 release, maybe.

I honestly wish BFarber was still at IPS, because he would have been all over this before this unstable release got out of the door.

Is there a ticket for the rssfeed Import failing? If no pls submit one and ask to assign it immediately to me. 

Thanks Daniel, I've just created one with site access. 

2 minutes ago, Karina Harumi said:

Thank you for the clarification. Really these latest releases are giving a headache... it seems that it doesn't go through tests... complicated.

Yes, I'm sure there is some QA in place, and a lot of hard work going on, but it is frustrating. It's quite possible one user may never experience the same issues I'm having, and vice versa.

4.6.0 thru 4.6.4 no issues at all, but then I am not running all the apps, so if the issues are specific to certain apps perhaps I'm not affected.  I have a client site to update that is running an app that I am not (commerce) so I am a little hesitant to go ahead right now - maybe leave it for a week or so lol.

Luck to all who go for it and I hope you avoid any pitfalls 🙂

13 hours ago, The Old Man said:

Agreed. We have never had so many forum issues as we're having since this upgrade to 4.6. And way too many continual patches and upgrades for issues that should never have been released. It's very disappointing and taking our volunteer Admins a lot of time wasted trying to fix things. Hoping the new update goes well, but have to wait for multiple Tech Admins to be available to do it.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, The Old Man said:

Here's something to check... One of my sites, actually the first I upgraded to 4.6 seems to lost all of the privacy, terms, guidelines and cookie policies. They are all empty! 🤮

This is weird. I'm starting to wonder if 4.6 is cursed. Bring on 4.7.

I posted earlier about how all my policies are gone from ACP > Terms and Privacy section, but I've just noticed they are are still showing properly on the front end! I went back to AdminCP and sure enough they are all empty.

8E48BB56-8D56-4D35-A837-1019A3C1B0C5.thumb.jpeg.e711b937b2f8203007c5a596f52ea85d.jpeg

3F7E51E6-4EA1-4FD7-B106-E67F330194DF.thumb.jpeg.4ebd110e1b5bf26b054b990fd1737df4.jpeg

F6CEC43D-7535-4A2E-9B60-A229224ECA51.thumb.jpeg.9e2a3f64a9bcad7e817bba6a40c6096c.jpeg

Hi @Daniel F

Thanks, I still have the one open for you since 15th July from the issue with random bulk Gallery upload inconsistencies. Do you need a new one for this?

Meanwhile, I have been able to copy and paste 2 of the 3 texts back in to their respective fields from the working front facing text. I should have copied all 3 before saving the AdminCP page because Guidelines disappeared as soon as I saved the Terms and Privacy. I may be able to recover the guidelines policy text from the 4.5 backup I created or my main PC.

23 hours ago, The Old Man said:

Thanks, I still have the one open for you since 15th July from the issue with random bulk Gallery upload inconsistencies. Do you need a new one for this?

Yes, we prefer separate tickets for separate issues as they are easier to track if they need to move between different teams.