So major change in Commerce - guest support

chilihead

I'm still on Nexus, I use it for all my contact departments like Sales, Advertising, Review Requests (ticket is assigned to reviewer), etc. I have 5 departments. One is account support.

Apparently the new change in Commerce is, this page is only accessible to members. Guests get an error page. Really? This totally changes how I have been fielding our company emails.

In 3.4 if anyone asked if there was a contact page for IPB were were instructed to buy Nexus. Which I did. My tab is labeled Contact. But now, it is only for logged in support tickets and there is a Contact Us (part of Core) link at the bottom of the site that sends a general email, is not manageable in acp, and has no departments.

Is this the case or am I missing something? Thanks!

Is this the way it works now?

This is a huge feature stripped from Nexus. It was a full-featured contact page, manageable in acp, with statuses, etc. Now the reviewer I have assigned to acp to manage the Reviews dept., that won't work either. They are not going to sign up just to send a company an email.

This has really disrupted the way I conduct business.

Can this please be returned to Commerce? This was an amazing feature, and now it's been stripped to member-only support tickets

Company email is more than support; Sales, Business Development, etc., and members can lose passwords. It's great when it's all on that one contact page and manageable in acp, but no longer!

Thanks!

It actually seems there are no permissions to be set in Member Groups for Commerce at all. It is as you say; if you are registered (Member or higher) then you can access Support but guests cannot.

I can see where IPS is coming from in doing this but your use-case makes a lot of sense as well. Especially if someone just got the Core and Commerce they would have no way of working with guest (pre-sale) inquiries outside of a generic email account (or creating multiple email accounts) - which bypasses the nice Support system already in place.

I think @Mark is the primary for Commerce stuff so I'll tag him to have him maybe pop his head in here. Allowing guests to access Support shouldn't be too hard of a change to make but it is a feature request at this point. Sorry.

11 minutes ago, Flitterkill said:

but it is a feature request at this point.

Another "missing" feature from 3.4 unfortunately, but this one changes the functionality at its core and is a different product. Before it was a departmental contact page software. Now, member support only. Been using it as a contact page since it came out.

Let's hope it's an oversight no one caught till now. I have departments with people assigned and need this back.

Try this Application > Commerce open the triangle and choose the padlock on the Support and make sure guests have access.564949191ee1f_ScreenShot2015-11-15at7.09

spoke to soon...

Sorry, there is a problem
The page you are trying to access is not available to guests, but may be available if you sign in.
Error code: 2X265/1

The contact form (in the footer) uses the email address found at SYSTEM >  SETTING > EMAIL SETTINGS > Incoming Email Address 

-

Each Department can have it's own email account for incoming emails and users could email directly to that email account if you have setup Email to be Piped to the script which will show in to the support system.  (if you have access to your server cpanel you can setup EMAIL PIPE or POP3)

-

I would like to see a switch that you can use the basic contact us email form OR that link would use the support system where the user can choose what department and any additional fields that are setup. 

-

• Management

Follow-up: We have added this to our internal roadmap. It's not a minor thing we can toss in a point release, unfortunately, so it will have to wait a bit - but we will do it. 

In the interim, Ocean West's solution is recommended. 

7 minutes ago, Lindy said:

Follow-up: We have added this to our internal roadmap. It's not a minor thing we can toss in a point release, unfortunately, so it will have to wait a bit - but we will do it. 

In the interim, Ocean West's solution is recommended. 

Thanks Lindy, appreciate the attention and followup! When it is done (or coming soon) I hope it can be listed in Release Notes. Cheers.

Great to hear that guests will be able to use the Commerce Support form.

Just for your additional consideration the next time you discuss the issue...

Guests are contacting me most every day for support using the contact form, because they can't use the support system. They have only a single need or question, and don't necessarily want to join the community. They are also using it to ask questions which have already been answered in the forums, or that they should ask in the forums.

Having the "Support" function available for guests would allow me to set up departments so all requests, from members or guests, go directly to various expert staff members who can help them,

I can also add a message telling them to post routine questions in the forum rather than using the contact form. After all, that's why we have a forum.

• 4 weeks later...

You can still use the workflow mentioned by @Ocean West  till we improve this.

On 16.11.2015 at 5:12 AM, Ocean West said:

The contact form (in the footer) uses the email address found at SYSTEM >  SETTING > EMAIL SETTINGS > Incoming Email Address 

-

Each Department can have it's own email account for incoming emails and users could email directly to that email account if you have setup Email to be Piped to the script which will show in to the support system.  (if you have access to your server cpanel you can setup EMAIL PIPE or POP3)

-

I would like to see a switch that you can use the basic contact us email form OR that link would use the support system where the user can choose what department and any additional fields that are setup. 

On 11/16/2015 at 7:26 PM, Ocean West said:

- if you have email piped to a department change the contact form email address to that incoming email address.

Is there walkthrough documentation or example somewhere of how to set that up, exactly?

My site in question is IPS cloud hosted with email aliases managed by a domain registrar. I don't use mailboxes per se, I just point role-specific aliases at the responsible party's personal email. IPS Community in the Cloud supports piping, but since IPS is not processing my mail I think I boxed myself out of that option. Likewise POP3 given my use of aliases.

Actually, I'd like to see a walkthrough of setting up a couple departments normally just to understand the Support module more thoroughly. A tutorial similar to the How to Recreate Release Notes would be ideal.

3 hours ago, bradl said:

Is there walkthrough documentation or example somewhere of how to set that up, exactly?

My site in question is IPS cloud hosted with email aliases managed by a domain registrar. I don't use mailboxes per se, I just point role-specific aliases at the responsible party's personal email. IPS Community in the Cloud supports piping, but since IPS is not processing my mail I think I boxed myself out of that option. Likewise POP3 given my use of aliases.

Actually, I'd like to see a walkthrough of setting up a couple departments normally just to understand the Support module more thoroughly. A tutorial similar to the How to Recreate Release Notes would be ideal.

We can get piping setup for you with one email address in this setup above, please file a support ticket in cloud support and we can walk you through the setup.

Thank you

• 1 month later...

Archived