Fastest software to date?

Aussie Cable

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Aussie Cable you posted this topic 10 hours ago. I hope you note things are improving quite rapidly since then.

@Aussie Cable you posted this topic 10 hours ago. I hope you note things are improving quite rapidly since then.

​Me too but this page 2 of this topic took a good 20 seconds to load, so there are still some DB issues somewhere #crushthosegremlins :)

It’s pointless to make statements about the performance of the 4.0 software itself

​After what the staff have been raving about for months, I think I have every right to question something that seems to contradict what they have been saying, don't you?

@Aussie Cable 
It is definitely too early to measure page speed since there are still lots of bugs to fix but please do your speed tests again when IPS 4 is released.

​Why is it too early, staff have been working on this for months, and I am just making an observation, should I just not say anything if I see bad performance on software I am going to purchase?

The point of this topic was to at least get and intelligent discussion from the staff who are working with the software, and not have to put up with the simple comments about "it's too early" or "give it time it is still beta" - I mean it is very clear to me it is beta software, I have been watching the making of it too.

Now on to some intelligent discussion...........

We had a preview site up for months running on Zend Server (so we could monitor performance), allowing us to find performance issues and tweak the software.  That said, nothing replaces running the software on a busy production site where you get thousands of visitors simultaneously, so we have upgraded our company forums to help shake out further bugs and performance issues.  Just yesterday we resolved an issue for instance where language string queries were stacking up in MySQL, and this resulted in a huge performance boost.  We have found missing indexes on various database tables which were causing massively slow queries to stack up, and we've since resolved many of those.

We will continue performance monitoring and testing and the software will continue to get speedier.  The underlying code architecture is far more modern and better performing than previous versions, and most of the slowness noticed so far is simply due to upgrade oddities (which are bugs that we will or have addressed) or usage of areas that just haven't had much real world, large busy site testing yet.

​Great to hear that you have found some issues and have had the chance to sort it out, this is very encouraging indeed. I know that you are all working very hard, and I know that when the software is released it will be brilliant.

I do have faith that you guys are working very hard in making this software as efficient as possible, and from what you have just said, proves that to be the case.

Lets see how quick it is to ban, Marc_S.

​Go on, press it, you know you want too :tongue:

Unfortunately Marc_S you have not added much to this discussion.

​Yeah not so much.

General load time of the main site (cleared cache, hence the DNS look-up time):

15790177715_b2127c800d_o.png

And general load time of this topic, seems that the processing time has improved, so your tweaks are noted:

15604369709_d5b18d142b_o.png

But I am trusting that it will improve further over time as you suggest.

I have much trust in that this site will improve in speed, it is clear now that you are aware of performance issues and are working hard to remedy that, and this (for me at least) is very encouraging indeed.

P.S: I am confident in this software so much, that I have purchased (this week) Pages for the first time, because I think I may have use for it. Now it seems to be user friendly.

Mate, how does the beta perform on a test version of your site? I fired up another VPS here in OZ to run the various alpha and beta builds across my forum and its perceivably faster for me. 

How are you running those performance tests? Happy to run them on my test site to compare.

Mate, how does the beta perform on a test version of your site? I fired up another VPS here in OZ to run the various alpha and beta builds across my forum and its perceivably faster for me. 

How are you running those performance tests? Happy to run them on my test site to compare.

​Beta 4.0 performs a tad slower than 3.4.x. But we have done fine tuning for our 3.4.x but not 4.0, we are in the process of doing that with the beta builds. We chose to not bother with any earlier builds because it would be pointless.

We are running a dedicated server in the rack here, which will be much faster than your VPS, so no thanks.

Performance tests are with stats via New Relic. We are in the process of fine tuning for IPS 4.0, and results are encouraging. Id suspect it will get better with final builds.

The point of this topic was to have some discussion about this site, not mine, my site is not of concern (yet).

​Me too but this page 2 of this topic took a good 20 seconds to load, so there are still some DB issues somewhere #crushthosegremlins :)

​20 Seconds? it took < 1 second for me. Considering I will have a worse ping than you, I don't think this are software issues.

• Management

​Beta 4.0 performs a tad slower than 3.4.x. But we have done fine tuning for our 3.4.x but not 4.0, we are in the process of doing that with the beta builds. We chose to not bother with any earlier builds because it would be pointless.

We are running a dedicated server in the rack here, which will be much faster than your VPS, so no thanks.

Performance tests are with stats via New Relic. We are in the process of fine tuning for IPS 4.0, and results are encouraging. Id suspect it will get better with final builds.

The point of this topic was to have some discussion about this site, not mine, my site is not of concern (yet).

​I would suggest waiting a bit longer. Having IPS4 on a real-world live "production" site has highlighted several areas that can be improved performance-wise -- and this is a good thing; the time to work these out is now, not after it's on YOUR live production site. :) With an infrastructure background, I too have identified areas of improvement and we're all working together here to get IPS4 in tip-top performing shape. You'll notice gradual improvements as changes are rolled out. 

IPS is on the Amazon Web Services platform. Currently, we are not leveraging any caching engines, Cloudfront or any of the many technologies available to speed up performance and this is on single instance connected to RDS. We're keeping it simple and traditional until we're happy with base performance and we're comfortable kicking it up a notch. :)

Would it be possible to provide a future blog post with performance benchmarks on the IPS community between the 3.x series and 4.x series, with metrics backed by real-world data.  I think that's reasonable given how much you've emphasized the modern code that's better performing.  

• Management

Would it be possible to provide a future blog post with performance benchmarks on the IPS community between the 3.x series and 4.x series, with metrics backed by real-world data.  I think that's reasonable given how much you've emphasized the modern code that's better performing.   

​I suppose we could at some point as you said when we're done - but it's not something I'd consider a top priority of course. I would suspect a third party is going to get to an in-depth write-up before we do. As someone responsible for the IPS infrastructure (and someone responsible for controlling related costs) and loving solid performance, it's also not a straight apples to apples comparison. We've not just taken IP.Board 3, done a little refactoring and called it IPS4. In the end, some pages will be faster, some will be a wash and some like View New Content will be a little slower due to providing a smoother experience across the suite content.

"Performance" itself is such an open-ended discussion. I've seen many times pages that load lightning fast on the onset, but can't scale beyond a few hundred simultaneous users or X amount of data records. I deal with the largest sites on our own network serving tens of thousands of users and millions and millions of content items -- scalability is what I care most about, not sheer page load times (though having the best of both worlds is obviously ideal, when possible.) It's a difficult balance when you factor in the magnitude of the content we're serving, coupled with the fact that we still have to factor in the lowest common denominators -- dollar hosts that haven't upgraded MySQL since 2007 for self-hosted software. Without those limitations, the sky would be the limit -- MySQL 5.6+, for example, is incredibly more efficient than any previous version. We can leverage some things, but are stuck holding back the software in many regards to accommodate antiquated (in our world) technology. My personal shooting-for-the-stars goal is to make IPS4.x the last series where we have to worry about whether it will work on a $2.99/yr. host as with a product on this scale, it REALLY slows things down from a development standpoint. I would hope/expect in IPS5 (no release date yet, sorry ;)) we'd have moved to a point where we can comfortably say the requirements are xyz (and I wouldn't expect anything crazy, but definitely latest versions of the LAMP stack.) 

I digress on the little side tangent there. In short, we still have some work to do performance wise. When we're all done, we'd welcome someone to do some real world benchmarking. 

​After what the staff have been raving about for months, I think I have every right to question something that seems to contradict what they have been saying, don't you?

​I would put it this way: they have reworked many things under the hood which allow for better performance, and that is what they talked about. They did not say: as soon as we switch over to 4.0 you can expect a significant improvement. So no, I don’t see any contradictions at this point.  

3.4.6 was the fastest forum we ever installed. This seems ok for now I didn't see any problems since they upgraded to 4, but still faster than 3.4.6. We will see I have many other complaints and speed is not the main issue in my opinion. Things are running nicely here and on preview. 

Hey

I am a former IPB user. I just want to say Discourse feels a lot faster. Maybe due to it being Ruby I dont know.

Cheers.

​Discourse speed varies on updates. It was fast, then slow and now again fast. Assuming any software is perfect is understatement.

Archived