Fastest software to date?

Aussie Cable

My own beta site is slower than my 3.4.x version. I am yet to be convinced.

The point of this topic was to have some discussion about this site, not mine, my site is not of concern (yet).

Apologies, I was replying back to this statement from your opening post. Offer to run tests on another aussie site is there if you want me to.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speed on this forum is better than it was a couple of days ago, but 'New Content' remains very slow, averaging between 6 - 8 seconds.

This will be a problem for me if this doesn't improve a lot, as VNC is currently very popular with my users. It's also a bit worrying that this morning when I tested this (UK 10am), the IPS forums have less users than my own forum, so if anything I'll have more 'pressure' on 'New Content' than IPS (if that has any bearing on the current page speed problem).

Other than that (and the fact that I can't post in FF on Linux, as reported in bug tracker), it's all looking pretty impressive, well done. :tongue:

Whoops, spoke too soon, 'New Content' now has error: 

Sorry, there is a problem

Something went wrong. Please try again.

Error code: EX1054

Just an update to say that I've noticed the site is incredibly slow on iPhone/Safari but very fast on a normal desktop. Perhaps those who are encountering very slow page loads can clarify which browser they are using and whether they are on the mobile theme (which I suspect to be the cause).

Hi @Charles - what I was meaning is that on the mobile-view (using an iPhone) the site hasn't improved in speed at all. However, using my normal computer with Chrome and it's very fast - so I'm now wondering whether the optimisation so far has been focused on the desktop side of things?

​They are talking about server-side improvements, e.g. how long certain database queries take or how things are cached. That has nothing to do with loading speeds on certain devices. In fact, any optimization would equally affect any device. There is hardly anything specific about “mobile” that needs optimizing. The mobile view is the same view as the desktop – just some things get shifted around through the CSS settings. 

I understand that - but ultimately I cannot get around the fact that browsing on the same connection via a desktop encounters no page hangs whereas browsing on an iPhone using Safari sees long hangs (remember: same connection). Don't ask me how - but that's the reality.

I understand that - but ultimately I cannot get around the fact that browsing on the same connection via a desktop encounters no page hangs whereas browsing on an iPhone using Safari sees long hangs (remember: same connection). Don't ask me how - but that's the reality.

​Something wrong with your iPhone? 

I have no problems on my desktop, tablet or mobile.

Archived